• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

That would really screw with people. "My 44 looks better than your 46". Can you imagine published grading definitions for a 100 point scale?

The 1st edition of The Overstreet Grading Guide had just that.

And a 9.7 grade doesn't exist at the moment, but if CGC made it so, it would be so. They dictate the rules and you'd just have to accept it.

That would really screw with people. "My 44 looks better than your 46". Can you imagine published grading definitions for a 100 point scale?

The 1st edition of The Overstreet Grading Guide had just that.

And a 9.7 grade doesn't exist at the moment, but if CGC made it so, it would be so. They dictate the rules and you'd just have to accept it.

Yes it does! I still have my copy with my OWL card. Great fun, and an important step in the evolution of comic grading. But nobody could ever explian the difference betweet a 44 and a 45, so the 100 point scale was doomed. I really think CGC has it correct, with the possible exception of the 9.9, which seems silly to me. Unless you want to say that a 9.9 is just a 10 with some printing or centering defect.

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.

sean, this is a pretty over-simplistic view, i think.

bottom line to me is that a 9.6 can have 3-5 defects...a 9.8 1-2

why not have an in between option with 2-3 defects?

And as an addendum...

Collect what you want to collect. (thumbs u

But don't demand that it has 'value'. meh

Ahh. But if you collect what you like should it not hold value to the one who owns it ?

Pat the Philosipher

Indeed it should...even if you're incapable of spelling 'philosopher' :baiting:

However, trying to finesse the system so that others 'value' your collection seem to miss the whole point, IMHO. (shrug)

i'm certainly not trying to finesse the system so others see value in my collection lol

funny how some people around here only think changes should be made for PERSONAL BENEFIT ONLY....geesh

again, there's too large of a drop between a 9.6 and 9.8 as far as defects and price goes..

i'm not saying this is a necessity, but i'm still not seeing ANY downside for CGC as a company to do so.

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.

^^

Even if this mythical 9.7 grade did exist, it probably wouldn't command much of a premium over a 9.6 - like Colin said there is a stigma amongst modern collectors for books lower than a 9.8, but adding a 9.7 grade is not going to do anything to change that.

As far as I'm concerned, unless it's one of the very few modern books that are genuinely near impossible to find in 9.8, it doesn't matter whether it's a 9.7, 9.6, 9.5, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2, etc - if it's not a 9.8, I'm not interested.

i definitely understand that most collector's around these parts would still not be interested in 9.7s, schmidty...but i don't think that was my point either :)

just because lots of modern collectors wouldn't be interested in it, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist :foryou:

One of your best posts ever. (thumbs u

Two reasons:

(1) This type of hair splitting when it comes to grading pushes the envelope of the slippery slope. Assuming that you buy into the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8, why stop at 9.7? Should we create a 9.75 when the price spread between 9.7 and 9.8 seems out of whack? The marketplace will start to look like an Olympic diving competition.

(2) It's not necessary. You have clearly delineated above the difference between the 9.6 and the 9.8. Defects 2 = 9.8 3 = 9.6. topnotchman, mschmidt, jespersen and a bunch of others are nearly automatic on picking 9.8s. If you want 9.8s learn how to pick them raw or pay the scratch that the market demands. If you don't want to pay, learn to love the 9.6 and screw everyone who says that 9.6s are "worthless." It works for me.

You say sean is being overly simplistic, yet you want things to be overly complicated. Also I dont believe 1-2 flaws are allowed on a 9.8, and x amount of flaws for a 9.6. I believe that a 9.8 is a Nearmint book with a possible misscut, or bindery defect, maybe even a finger print. A 9.6 could just have a small NCB.

I really dont believe this is how CGC does their grading on these books.

Two reasons:

(1) This type of hair splitting when it comes to grading pushes the envelope of the slippery slope. Assuming that you buy into the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8, why stop at 9.7? Should we create a 9.75 when the price spread between 9.7 and 9.8 seems out of whack? The marketplace will start to look like an Olympic diving competition.

(2) It's not necessary. You have clearly delineated above the difference between the 9.6 and the 9.8. Defects 2 = 9.8 3 = 9.6. topnotchman, mschmidt, jespersen and a bunch of others are nearly automatic on picking 9.8s. If you want 9.8s learn how to pick them raw or pay the scratch that the market demands. If you don't want to pay, learn to love the 9.6 and screw everyone who says that 9.6s are "worthless." It works for me.

firstly, this has nothing to do with my ability to pick out 9.8s (which i'm more than fine at)

again, people like to take weak smallshots at OPs around here when they are trying to make a point...*sigh*

and nobody is asking for a 9.75, what slippery slope would there be by adding another grade? just because someone asks for another grade to be added, doesn't mean they would automatically start adding other grades...what logic does that follow?

You say sean is being overly simplistic, yet you want things to be overly complicated. Also I dont believe 1-2 flaws are allowed on a 9.8, and x amount of flaws for a 9.6. I believe that a 9.8 is a Nearmint book with a possible misscut, or bindery defect, maybe even a finger print. A 9.6 could just have a small NCB.

I really dont believe this is how CGC does their grading on these books.

i said his initial point was over-simplistic....also, adding a grade is certainly not overly complicated lol

and yeah, bust out your grading book...9.8=1-2 defects

why is everyone so quick to get at each other's throats around here today? just an idea...

if you disagree with the idea is fine, but to say i can't pick out 9.8s and to say that a 9.8 doesn't have 1-2 defects is just wrong, and in poor taste.

quick it with the lame attacks (:

why is everyone so quick to get at each other's throats around here today? just an idea...

if you disagree with the idea is fine, but to say i can't pick out 9.8s and to say that a 9.8 doesn't have 1-2 defects is just wrong, and in poor taste.

quick it with the lame attacks (:

Yes. I understand that, but we are discussing CGC grading and not OSPG standards. While OSPG has moved more in tune with CGC, CGC has not released any grading standards to date. And I havent found any of my 9.8's with any defects, not saying it couldnt happen. But my personal experience has been clean flawless (to the naked eye) books.

the bad stigma about modern 9.6 books is starting to become pretty lame....unless its a 9.6 SS, its a worthless book, in general..

why doesn't CGC start using a 9.7 grade (shrug)

they would make a TRUCKLOADS of money off of people re-subbing 9.6 books...

why don't they do this??

Because we'd flame them to the ground for implementing an arbitrary grade for the sole purpose of a resub cash grab? (shrug)

Two reasons:

firstly, this has nothing to do with my ability to pick out 9.8s (which i'm more than fine at)

again, people like to take weak smallshots at OPs around here when they are trying to make a point...*sigh*

and nobody is asking for a 9.75, what slippery slope would there be by adding another grade? just because someone asks for another grade to be added, doesn't mean they would automatically start adding other grades...what logic does that follow?

Seanfingh is responding to your argument in a logical manner; he's not attacking you, he's not questioning your grading skills, nor is anyone taking "weak smallshots" here. You presented an idea that people disagree with, yet it seems like you're assuming that everybody is just going to put their personal opinion aside & join in the chorus of "wow - that would be the best thing ever".

But that just isn't the case - just like pretty much everyone else in the thread, I firmly believe that a 9.7 grade would over-complicate an already complex grading system, would lead the way for CGC to "invent" more arbitrary grades in the interest of them raking in re-sub fees (which you seem to have no problem with), and, most importantly of all, is completely unnecessary because the current 9.6/9.8 system actually works splendidly.

When people brought up the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it", you immediately countered with "then we'd still be living in cages"-analogy - but that analogy only makes sense if what you're proposing will actually improve upon the current situation. And nobody here believes that that is the case with a 9.7 grade.