• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

definitely not asking for 'another bunch of grades'...just wondering why they don't add 1 more

i've certainly already addressed that adding .01, .25 and other divisions doesn't make sense..

adding a 9.7 which could have 2-3 defects DOES make sense, at least to me...

10.0=no defects

9.9=.5-1 defect

9.8=1-2 defects

9.7=2-3 defects

9.6=3-5 defects

what's so difficult to understand about the idea??

Nothing is difficult to understand...it's simply not the best of ideas.

You collect books in this grade range. Other people collect books in different grades ranges. They could put together exactly the same argument as you have to justify the introduction of a 3.3, or a 8.2, or a 6.8, ad infinitum.

And you actually can start to split it down further and start having 9.25s, etc. CGC could split it down to the smallest fractions they could fit on the slab if they wanted to, but I assume that they don't want to because it would be impossible to validate and manage.

As for the comment about you wanting to see increased 'value' in you collection, it was you yourself who raised the issue of 9.6s having no value in your initial post...'unless its a 9.6 SS, its a worthless book, in general'...which suggest that the value 'thing' was what truly concerned you.

If it wasn't the 'value' that concerned you, what was it, as you didn't mention any other concerns in your post?

And if I might ask...what the hell does it matter whether the slab has a 9.6, 9.7, 9.8 or a 1.8 at the top left? Are you happy with the book? Are you happy with what you paid for it?

And so I say again...collect what the hell you like...it's all good...just don't expect/demand that it has 'value'. (thumbs u

stating that a 9.6 modern is 'worthless' does not mean that i demand value for it, whatsoever.

you're jumping to your own conclusions, bud

stating that a 9.6 modern is 'worthless' does not mean that i demand value for it, whatsoever.

you're jumping to your own conclusions, bud

So how else could I interpret...

the bad stigma about modern 9.6 books is starting to become pretty lame....unless its a 9.6 SS, its a worthless book, in general..

(shrug)

You don't mention any other reason for the 'stigma', other than value ('it's worthless', you told us), and you opine that it's 'lame', suggesting that you are not happy with the situation. There is no other possible conclusion that can be reached given the evidence you have provided in your original post.

Now, if it's not value, then what other reason is there for having a '9.7'? (shrug)

suggesting that the value of a 9.6 is worthless, certainly does not mean that i DEMAND value for it...

your logic= 'my 7.0 pitt #1 is worthless, i DEMAND it to have more value!' and that is ludicrous.

do you follow? in fact, bringing a 9.7 into the picture would actually de-value a 9.6 even more...

you connected the dots in your own head and jumped to an incorrect assumption.

and the other reasons for a 9.7 have been stated multiple times over...please read the thread if you want to know the reasoning (thumbs u

and the other reasons for a 9.7 have been stated multiple times over...please read the thread if you want to know the reasoning (thumbs u

I've read it...but can only see you stating how you justify having a 9.7 (there's 5 flaws on a 9.6 and 2 flaws on a 9.8...too large a difference), but not why you would want one?

And by that logic, for every additional flaw allowed, we should have an extra grade inserted. 9.3, 9.1, 8.9, 8.8, etc., etc.

I'm sorry, but I'm simply not seeing the 'need', or the 'benefit'. I understand your justification, but cannot see the motivation. (shrug)

it's a good thing my 'motivation' has NOTHING to do with this thread, or the question at hand.

now that you understand my justification, can we stop this pointless back and forth? i would like to hear others' opinions on the topic :)

and previously, when you asked if i was buying the book or the label...even though my answer has nothing to do with thread, well, i would rather buy a 'strong' 9.6 (ie 3 defects) than a soft 9.6 with 5 defects...i have a couple of 9.6 slabs with 3 NCBs and a soft corner...that doesn't make me happy whatsoever. so yeah, adding a 9.7 grade would be helpful in those instances as well.

I think it's a silly idea that would lead nowhere. I can't see anyone being happy with a 9.7 book if they really wanted a 9.8.

If the money right now is with the 9.8s people who are disappointed when getting a 9.6 will not "settle" for a 9.7.

It could also be counterproductive as people with 9.6's that would resub in the hopes of getting a 9.8 could potentially NOT do it anymore in the fear of getting a 9.7..which they didn't want anyway.

it would be ludicrous to try to eak out another bunch of grades to go for a money grab.

I can see it now.....resub the 9.63 in hopes of a 9.65.

The slabbing process alone would drop the grade by .05 if done correctly, the minute there's some bumpage in the slab...you've lost another .05 or more.....

imperfect as it is, it should just be left alone.

hi colin with two 'l's :)

definitely not asking for 'another bunch of grades'...just wondering why they don't add 1 more

i've certainly already addressed that adding .01, .25 and other divisions doesn't make sense..

adding a 9.7 which could have 2-3 defects DOES make sense, at least to me...

10.0=no defects

9.9=.5-1 defect

9.8=1-2 defects

9.7=2-3 defects

9.6=3-5 defects

what's so difficult to understand about the idea??

While I might have missed it earlier in the thread, it seems you are not factoring in the severity of the defect into your grade. Not all defects are equal. So, you could have a book with 1-2 "severe" defects that would grade a 9.6 and a book with 2-3 "less severe" defects that would grade a 9.8. Number of defects alone is not enough to determine grade.

Btw, I understand your desire to have a 9.7 since there are lots of "strong" and "weak" grades out there. But adding one more grade won't eliminate that. There would just be "weak" and "strong" 9.7s.

severity of defects are still important..and yes, a book with a small CB crease on it can't be a 9.8 (obviously)..

i definitely agree that there would still be stronger and softer copies at each grade level, but i think a 9.7 would help alleviate some of the gap at the higher end of the grading scale :)

I'm happy with the current system...I guess hm

still not giving me any reasons why CGC doesn't create the grade (:

I think it's a good idea.

Unfortunately, it's not a practical idea. I think it's just too difficult to fragment down the grades that far. We already see that CGC has difficulty being entirely consistent with the 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 levels.

Theoretically, it would be great to have a 100 point system, with all grades in play. Practically, it can't be done to an acceptable degree of accuracy.

It's only a matter of time.

The same thing happened in other collectibles, so it will happen in comics, too, even if it's not through CGC.

In the beginning, there was only "Unc" (Uncirculated) in coins.

Then, there was "Unc" and "BU" (Brilliant Uncirculated.)

Then, there was Unc, Select Unc, Choice Unc, and Gem Unc.

Then, there was MS60, MS63, MS65, and MS70 (a fantasy grade.)

Then, lo, there came slabbing, and there was MS60-MS70.

Now, I was a kid when PCGS and NGC came into existence (1986 and 1987, respectively), and certainly didn't submit anything, but I am reasonably certain that, at least at the very beginning, neither of them had grades other than MS60, MS63, MS65, MS67, and MS70, and MS61, 62, 64, 66, 68, and 69 came a bit later, but I could be wrong. In any event, the market dictated that it wanted those grades, so that's what happened.

When the market determines that 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, 9.1 etc grades are desired, they will be.

Personally, I'd love it. It would make the radical difference between 9.6 and 9.8 (and other grades) smooth out dramatically, and would actually TIGHTEN CGC's grades. Lots of folks who look at "sliders" and reject them as 9.8s would easily accept them as 9.7s (at 9.7 prices.)

it just seems unnecessary.. :(

Lots....and LOTS....of people thought that MS61, 62, 66, 68, etc were unnecessary, too.

And they were a LOT more critical than your comment here.

But, eventually people recognized that what the market wants, the market gets, and only the government can say otherwise, so they accepted it.

To all the folks who say "ridiculous!" "illogical!" "it'll never happen!" "not possible!"

You're being very shortsighted.

If the MARKET wants a 9.7, 9.5, et al, it will have it.

If the market doesn't, it won't.

It doesn't matter how loudly and longly people protest otherwise, that won't change what the market wants.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. This phenomenon has ALREADY HAPPENED in other, older collectible fields. There's no reason it cannot happen in comics, as well, but it will, as ever, be the market that decides it, not you, I, Jim Halperin, or even Mark Haspel....well, ok, maybe Halperin and Haspel. They have a little more pull than me. ;)

You can submit the same book on a different day and get a different grade, this is a proven fact (and not a criticism of CGC). When the difference between the existing grades is subjective, it seems utterly pointless to me to further split the grades. :makepoint:

The reason why nothing below 9.8 (and even then, it's debatable) is worth a dime, is because...they ain't worth a dime...there's 25,000 of the puppies. doh!

You're suggesting manufacturing a grade to 'add value'. :o

When the did we get so lost? :(

9.6 and 9.8 are "manufactured grades."

;)

You can submit the same book on a different day and get a different grade, this is a proven fact (and not a criticism of CGC). When the difference between the existing grades is subjective, it seems utterly pointless to me to further split the grades. :makepoint:

You are absolutely correct....

But that doesn't change what the market may want.

Lots and lots of people say the exact same thing about NGC, they're 100% right, yet there are STILL 11 different grade designations between MS60 and MS70.

it just seems unnecessary.. :(

Lots....and LOTS....of people thought that MS61, 62, 66, 68, etc were unnecessary, too.

And they were a LOT more critical than your comment here.

But, eventually people recognized that what the market wants, the market gets, and only the government can say otherwise, so they accepted it.

I don't know what those numbers are (shrug) i was just making a comment.

You are absolutely correct....

But that doesn't change what the market may want.

Lots and lots of people say the exact same thing about NGC, they're 100% right, yet there are STILL 11 different grade designations between MS60 and MS70.

OK, that's a fair comment but I'm still very doubtful that the market would have enough interest in a 9.7 grade but that can only be speculation.