• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

OMG....gusy...we can't have a discussion without people getting out of control..close the thread...over and out

Welcome to the internet.

You presented an idea that people disagree with, yet it seems like you're assuming that everybody is just going to put their personal opinion aside & join in the chorus of "wow - that would be the best thing ever".

schmidty, what are you talking about?

i presented an idea, knowing very well that the majority of people would disagree. What have i said that would make you think that I assume everyone should put their personal opinion aside (shrug)

so far, i've heard these arguments against:

1) the OP wants another grade to make his collection seem more valuable

2) the OP 'should learn to pick out raw 9.8s'

3) that if we added a 9.7 then the next 'logical' step would be to ad .25 steps in between :screwy:

4) adding a new grade would over-complicate

i disagree with all of these statements, but i certainly never asked anyone to put their personal opinions aside! the whole point of this thread is to get people's opinions!

honestly schmidty, your above posing might be the stupidest thing i have ever seen you write on these boards :foryou:

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.

never answered this post, which has been qutoed multiple times...

so you're telling me there was a 9.9 before CGC created that grade? please...

and no, i really don't want a book 'worth more than a 9.6 but not a 9.8'...i'd like a book which has 2-3 defects have a grade assigned to it...

i have more than my fair share of 9.6s with 4-5 defects, and i have quite a few with 2 or three.

it would be ludicrous to try to eak out another bunch of grades to go for a money grab.

I can see it now.....resub the 9.63 in hopes of a 9.65.

The slabbing process alone would drop the grade by .05 if done correctly, the minute there's some bumpage in the slab...you've lost another .05 or more.....

imperfect as it is, it should just be left alone.

it would be ludicrous to try to eak out another bunch of grades to go for a money grab.

I can see it now.....resub the 9.63 in hopes of a 9.65.

The slabbing process alone would drop the grade by .05 if done correctly, the minute there's some bumpage in the slab...you've lost another .05 or more.....

imperfect as it is, it should just be left alone.

hi colin with two 'l's :)

definitely not asking for 'another bunch of grades'...just wondering why they don't add 1 more

i've certainly already addressed that adding .01, .25 and other divisions doesn't make sense..

adding a 9.7 which could have 2-3 defects DOES make sense, at least to me...

10.0=no defects

9.9=.5-1 defect

9.8=1-2 defects

9.7=2-3 defects

9.6=3-5 defects

what's so difficult to understand about the idea??

I know from my own submission that even CGC aren't always that sure on the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. :gossip:

I don't believe that for a second. I submit about 180 Moderns a month on pre-screen 9.8 and only miss 1 or 2 per 30 book submission. I'm totally fine with the grading standards that CGC uses and I'd like to think I have a pretty good eye for the difference between a 9.6 or a 9.8 before I submit, otherwise it would be a waste of my time and money.

IMHO There is no need for a 9.7 grade. If you want to go go down that slope then why not have a 9.1, 9.3. & 9.5 grades while we're splitting hairs. Makes no sense.

Just pre-screen moderns for 9.8 unless it's something rare or you just want it slabbed for your collection.

definitely not asking for 'another bunch of grades'...just wondering why they don't add 1 more

i've certainly already addressed that adding .01, .25 and other divisions doesn't make sense..

adding a 9.7 which could have 2-3 defects DOES make sense, at least to me...

10.0=no defects

9.9=.5-1 defect

9.8=1-2 defects

9.7=2-3 defects

9.6=3-5 defects

what's so difficult to understand about the idea??

Nothing is difficult to understand...it's simply not the best of ideas.

You collect books in this grade range. Other people collect books in different grades ranges. They could put together exactly the same argument as you have to justify the introduction of a 3.3, or a 8.2, or a 6.8, ad infinitum.

And you actually can start to split it down further and start having 9.25s, etc. CGC could split it down to the smallest fractions they could fit on the slab if they wanted to, but I assume that they don't want to because it would be impossible to validate and manage.

As for the comment about you wanting to see increased 'value' in you collection, it was you yourself who raised the issue of 9.6s having no value in your initial post...'unless its a 9.6 SS, its a worthless book, in general'...which suggest that the value 'thing' was what truly concerned you.

If it wasn't the 'value' that concerned you, what was it, as you didn't mention any other concerns in your post?

And if I might ask...what the hell does it matter whether the slab has a 9.6, 9.7, 9.8 or a 1.8 at the top left? Are you happy with the book? Are you happy with what you paid for it?

And so I say again...collect what the hell you like...it's all good...just don't expect/demand that it has 'value'. (thumbs u

I'm happy with the current system...I guess hm

still not giving me any reasons why CGC doesn't create the grade (:

Apart from 9.7 being unnecesary in most people's opinion, GCG's grading isn't always 100% consistant with the current system so throwing in an extra grade is only going to complicate matters. A CGC grade is the opinion of 3 experienced graders, nothing more or less, so having a new grade created would seem to me to just be a pointless gimmick. 2c