• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geek

33 posts in this topic

in the 90's, I had about 20 letters printed in DC comics (mainly byrne issues)... pre internet (in a big way), but I used to write...not sure I even could tell you which issues these days, but it was always fun to see "my name"

I sat down and wrote 8 letters one night. 3 got published! My friend Gary is a letterer (he did Coffin amonst others) and we kid him endlessly about a mindless rave letter he got published.

To Team America!

I have a vague recollection writing a fan letter to Scott McCloud about Zot and might have written a couple others. Nothing got published.

Jon: Great letter! lol

I have a vague recollection writing a fan letter to Scott McCloud about Zot and might have written a couple others. Nothing got published.

Zot! Did someone say "Zot"!? Just a great series by McCloud

77641.jpg.29cd5b76656c1e266eb14c64f0f1de8d.jpg

I had letters published in CONAN and WHAT IF...back in the 70s (I think i wrote them in crayon).

But I really racked up the "letters count" in DC's Daily Planet Feature: "Ask the Answer Man". Every issues of DC comics in the mid-late 70's had a mock Daily Planet page that showcased current DC issues on sale. The Answer Man was DC editor Bob Rozakiz (sp?) and he would field questions by DC readers...such as: "Is there an Earth-Two Legion", or "Does Superman breath?" stuff like that...

I must have has over 20 questions published over that time period. I was quite popular in school when I would bring in comics with my name printed in em!

Did you pick that directly from Scott? He offered his pages through his comics which is where I got one of my pages.

This page was special because I first heard about Zot through Gerard Jones' book The Great Comic Book Heroes, which covered Silver Age to the 1990 (this is the same guy that wrote Men of Tomorrow). That book reproduced the top panel from this page and that was enough to convince me to try the series.

Zot4pg7.jpg

Did you pick that directly from Scott? He offered his pages through his comics which is where I got one of my pages.

This page was special because I first heard about Zot through Gerard Jones' book The Great Comic Book Heroes, which covered Silver Age to the 1990 (this is the same guy that wrote Men of Tomorrow). That book reproduced the top panel from this page and that was enough to convince me to try the series.

Zot4pg7.jpg

That is exactly how I got it. Same way I got my Cerebus art...straight from the source.

Before I was a GA geek, I was a Marvel geek....going through law school....Check out the last letter for the letter page (June 1975)...So how many of you got published? Huh? Huh?

Probing, insightful letter, don'tyouthink?

jb

Hey geek boy, last I checked that wasn't a GA book so discuss it in a different forum! :makepoint::baiting:

Before I was a GA geek, I was a Marvel geek....going through law school....Check out the last letter for the letter page (June 1975)...So how many of you got published? Huh? Huh?

jb

Hey geek boy, last I checked that wasn't a GA book so discuss it in a different forum! :makepoint::baiting:

:o

Cerebus? Did someone say Cerebus?

Had two letters published in Cerebus, the second letter poking fun at the first one. Sim seemed to appreciate the self-deprecation.

And Cerebus was the Golden Age of independent comics, so there.

jb

But Mark it gives context to who we were and who we will be. Besides, note there has been no reference to Action 1, 7 nor 'tec 27 or 35...Breathe deep grasshopper and smell the newsprint...

jb

jb

But Mark it gives context to who we were and who we will be. Besides, note there has been no reference to Action 1, 7 nor 'tec 27 or 35...Breathe deep grasshopper and smell the newsprint...

jb

At least he cant post any mile highs in this tread :grin:

Bruce

jb

jb

phew :hi:

Freedom Fighters #4 had my first published letter. I bought every copy off the newstand, anyone want one?

That led to a mad letter writing frenzy all through high school. The best thing that comes out of that is my name pops up along with Star Wars when you do a Google search due to a letter published in an early Star Wars comic.

This madness also led to the publication of a fanzine, "Fandom Playhouse," done in conjunction with my comic collecting buddy from high school, Mark Chiarello. We did a rip of Howard the Duck and sold a glorious 25 copies of a massive 500 copy print run. Good lesson in business, that. We did get RBCC to write a review and that actually probably led to five sales. I kept the proceeds from this venture on my desk for many years as a reminder of how hard it can be to make a buck.

In later years when I once again found myself quite short on funds those proceeds came in handy for the purchase of a six pack or some other necessity of life, so it kind of paid off after all!

P.S. - Freedom Fighters was a takeoff on Golden Age heroes, so it fits right in the GA thread!

You keep some good company Steve. Wasn't Greggy also a "Star Collector" in the Diamond Dialogue?

You keep some good company Steve. Wasn't Greggy also a "Star Collector" in the Diamond Dialogue?
:o I know ponesit was

:gossip: Who wasn't?