• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck, Mile High II and Prices...

39 posts in this topic

Actually, some of his prices are now within reality, but those MH2 books should be renamed the "White Border Pedigree". 893frustrated.gif

Just when I think I've found a few CGC 9.4's, up pops a scan with a good 1/4" to 1/2" (or more) white border. Grrrr....

Actually, some of his prices are now within reality, but those MH2 books should be renamed the "White Border Pedigree". 893frustrated.gif

Just when I think I've found a few CGC 9.4's, up pops a scan with a good 1/4" to 1/2" (or more) white border. Grrrr....

Hater! tongue.gif

Without hyperbole or gratuitous nastiness (two of my favorite things) could someone please explain his reasoning for the prices?

I've never dealt with Chuck so, to me, he's a cypher. However, he's been in this business long enough to know there isn't a single high-grade collector out there who's going to pay anywhere close to these absurd prices. So why bother? All it does is make him look like something worse than a price-gouger: a fool.

Here's my guess as to his thinking based upon what I've read from him and from what I've noticed from the way he sells:

• True NM or better Bronze and Silver don't come his way often--and even if it did, his staff wouldn't know it--so if he overprices it, ah well, as long as he sells 10% or 20% of it in the first year he's doing pretty well since it doesn't come IN his doors that fast
  • He thinks CGC demands a premium...and that "pedigrees," legitimate or not, demand a premium...and he hasn't had that many pedigrees for the last few decades...so these CGC "pedigreed" books fall into the same category as the previous point, who cares if only a small percentage sell in the short term, he can't replace them.
  • He leads the planet in getting collectors to overpay for comics...so why should these hard-to-find books be any different for him? Eventually, someone who doesn't really know market prices will pay...they always do! He IS the world's largest comics dealer, after all! He likely believes that all that advertising he does pays for itself when selling these types of books--and it's somewhat possible he's right! 893whatthe.gif

By pricing some books at 10x guide,it makes the ones priced 3x guide appear to be bargins.

These are MH2 books we are talking about.

EVERYONE knows the first batch of MHs sell for multiples of guide so why not the second.

Your obvious ploy to disparage Chuck so asto buy all these books yourself has failed.

Come Monday,when my check from re-financing my home comes thru,you will find yourself in steep competition for

these books. thumbsup2.gif

Here's my guess as to his thinking based upon what I've read from him and from what I've noticed from the way he sells:

• True NM or better Bronze and Silver don't come his way often--and even if it did, his staff wouldn't know it--so if he overprices it, ah well, as long as he sells 10% or 20% of it in the first year he's doing pretty well since it doesn't come IN his doors that fast
  • He thinks CGC demands a premium...and that "pedigrees," legitimate or not, demand a premium...and he hasn't had that many pedigrees for the last few decades...so these CGC "pedigreed" books fall into the same category as the previous point, who cares if only a small percentage sell in the short term, he can't replace them.
  • He leads the planet in getting collectors to overpay for comics...so why should these hard-to-find books be any different for him? Eventually, someone who doesn't really know market prices will pay...they always do! He IS the world's largest comics dealer, after all! He likely believes that all that advertising he does pays for itself when selling these types of books--and it's somewhat possible he's right! 893whatthe.gif

I like option #3 the best... and I think there's also some stubborness behind Chuck's thinking..."I got raked over the coals for charging multiples of guide in the past - now *everyone's* doing it! I'm not leaving any money on the table this time, dammit!"

Still, it's just nutty, and how a guy who claims to be so business-minded can go this route is beyond me. His main business (moving vast quantities of recent back issues and current issues) seems to be diametrically opposed to the notion of holding onto back stock for months or years in order to realize the highest possible price.

It's also very possible that Chuck simply believes the MH II label is worth serious $, or that other people will think the MH II label is worth serious $.

On that note, does anyone have any idea how the "Dallas Stephens" pedigree has been selling? Will Dallas' grandkids even get to GO to college at this rate?

On that note, does anyone have any idea how the "Dallas Stephens" pedigree has been selling? Will Dallas' grandkids even get to GO to college at this rate?

It's all part of Chuck's plan. He pays Dallas a percentage on each comic SOLD, so if he prices them insanely, then never sells any, Chuck can hopefully outlast him and then scam his kids at a later date.

It's all part of Chuck's plan. He pays Dallas a percentage on each comic SOLD, so if he prices them insanely, then never sells any, Chuck can hopefully outlast him and then scam his kids at a later date.

If you read CBG, Mile High has been coming out with different full page buy ads. The latest issue seems to be concentrating on 80's books. Given that they're only paying a quarter for many of these, I'm wondering if this is a sign about the typical make-up of their users' want lists or based on data from their sales database and trend lines.

893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

That's ok. If Chuck is doing it I'm sure it will be good for the hobby overall. He's such a giver!!

That's ok. If Chuck is doing it I'm sure it will be good for the hobby overall. He's such a giver!!

Think of it this way: By instituting museum-level pricing, Chuck is actually PRESERVING the Dallas Stephens collection for future generation, but not allowing them to fall into the greasy hands of collectors.

Think of it this way: By instituting museum-level pricing, Chuck is actually PRESERVING the Dallas Stephens collection for future generation, but not allowing them to fall into the greasy hands of collectors.

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif