• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mohawk Valley Collection Pedigree

11 posts in this topic

Anybody have the story behind the Mohawk Valley Collection? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I looked at the Pedigree Book site and did a Google, but no telling of the the tale behind the collection. Thanks and Best2u.

I guess we'll just to wait until Volume 2 of Matt Nelson & Stephen Ritter's pedigree book comes out to learn the story behind the Mohawk Valley Collection, as it appears that they aren't including it in Volume 1. Here is a list of the pedigree collections that will be included in the first volume and a brief history of each:

Pedigree Book Volume One Checklist

The official PEDIGREE BOOK thread!

Mohawks were brought to market by Jerry Wiest and first offered through Sotheby's sale in 1997. They usually have a yellow certificate accompanying them. They were mostly SA DCs with variable PQ and with cover tanning on many of the copies.

I owned a comicbook shop in Clinton, NY during the 1990's. At one point a older couple had come in to try to sell some fairly nice golden age comics. After looking over the few that they brought in I discovered that the actually owner was a disabled/handicap person who had brought comics all his life.

I was told they were neatly stacked in his bedroom and that there were lots of them. Now I came from a Antique family and well we have had dealings with Sothebys on highly collectible items. I did the right thing and gave them the contact information that my family had for Sothebys and recommended them to use them to sell the collection. I never heard anymore from the couple, but they were happy for the information on Sothebys, mainly cause what I was told by the couple, the other local comicbook shop in the area was trying to buy them outright. I knew they'd never get the true amount of their worth selling them locally. I'm only guessing that this was the Mohawk Valley collection, since all the timeframes were correct. Would have been nice to have gotten credit for the referral though.

I had closed my shop in the late 90's cause most of my traffic was from a Air Force base that closed. Ravenswood was the only other shop locally and they had most of the other comicbook traffic.