• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Page Quality affect 9.8 + ?

14 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone! I have a question. I have a stunning copy of Amazing spiderman 322 ( Yeah I know, big whoop ). Anyways, I cannot find a single spine stress, Corners are like razors, no indentions etc etc. I really Think this book has a shot at a 9.9.

The only problem I can find with this book is the page Quality is Off-white. Can a 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0 Have off white pages?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I searched the grading forum with no luck, so I just decided to ask. I appreciate the help!

I checked through all my 9.8's and found one book, from 1967, that was OW.

I only found one 9.8 from the Modern era with even OW/W pages.

I was under the assumption that PQ is only factored in the grade for borderline

situations. I would think a 9.8 with OW pages would have to be a slam dunk 9.8 structurally. I can see CGC considering a Modern book with OW pages a defect

and knocking it down.

In summary, IMHO, I don't think so.

I have seen a few 9.8 books with OW pages. I have never seen a 9.9 with OW pages. I have had sellers tell me the book was a 9.9 but had that .1 taken off because of the OW page assignment. Apparently the sellers I had been in touch with confirmed this with CGC via the graders notes.

IMHO the book would have to be a 10.0 Gem Mint Book to receive the 9.9 Mint grade. Even then something tells me it would still come back as a wickedly nice 9.8 OW Pages. (shrug)

I have had sellers tell me the book was a 9.9 but had that .1 taken off because of the OW page assignment. Apparently the sellers I had been in touch with confirmed this with CGC via the graders notes.

I thought there are no grader's notes on a 9.8 ?

If I am not mistaken, one of the Wolverine LS #1s in either a 9.9 or a 10 has less than white pages.

WolverineLimitedSeries_1_10.jpg

Well that answers some of the page Quality questions.

What about a pure OW pages though. Anyone have a scan of a 9.9 or 10.0 with OW pages. Not OW/W , Straight up OFF-WHITE.

If I am not mistaken, one of the Wolverine LS #1s in either a 9.9 or a 10 has less than white pages.

WolverineLimitedSeries_1_10.jpg

Well that answers some of the page Quality questions.

What about a pure OW pages though. Anyone have a scan of a 9.9 or 10.0 with OW pages. Not OW/W , Straight up OFF-WHITE.

Gifflefunk has a 9.9 with straight OW pages here:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/CGCWhiteness/

He also has two 9.8s there, one with Light Tan and one with Tan to Cream pages.

I didn't think I book with Brittle pages could get a 5.0, but it's there...