• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,072 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Marvel Stories Nov 1940, on the stands with Marvel Mystery #13 (among others, I don't have the info on hand). When previously discussed, I'm not sure if any notice was given to which artists are responsible for this issues interior artwork. It IS listed in the table of contents! That would be (to my knowledge) their only known Golden Age rendering of the Human Torch, if they in fact were responsible for the ad! Interestingly as well, I saw only one other ad for Marvel Mystery in this issue and it is a small one.

I share your enthusiasm for this issue! And I love your earlier Sky Devils pulp too. 

I think someone earlier opined that the Torch illustration was done by Burgos, but I don’t know

On 7/19/2023 at 8:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I share your enthusiasm for this issue! And I love your earlier Sky Devils pulp too. 

I think someone earlier opined that the Torch illustration was done by Burgos, but I don’t know

Thanks so much! I appreciate it! It's nice to hear of other collectors enjoying these odd little rarities! Yeah, upon review, I think you're right ... it looks like Burgos to me, which is still pretty cool! :)

On 7/19/2023 at 6:01 PM, Badger said:

Good job Mike! :luhv:

Thanks, Badger. Not too many more Timelys I need, which is odd to say. (PS - I still have the All Select #4 I got from you, but not sure if I mentioned I upgraded the #3 a little while back.)

On 7/20/2023 at 1:40 AM, Mike Bromberg said:

Thanks, Badger. Not too many more Timelys I need, which is odd to say. (PS - I still have the All Select #4 I got from you, but not sure if I mentioned I upgraded the #3 a little while back.)

You say that NOW, ...but the Timely bug is an infectious little critter that starts with minor aches and pains in the wallet then leads to a lifelong addiction, ...and there's no known cure!

Just when you think you're out, ...it pulls you back in! :ohnoez:

On 7/22/2023 at 10:02 PM, Frisco Larson said:

A new Timely in the box today and this one has a killer house ad featuring their most popular heroes!!!

Comedy Comics 11 front.jpg

Comedy Comics 11 front house ad.jpg

Great catch! I've had that book for years but overlooked the ad. Like Comedy 9 & 10, Comedy 11 had some inventory stories with fantasy elements, probably intended for Daring Mystery before it got cancelled. Here's some additional pages.  

20230806_103149.jpg

20230806_103234.jpg

20230806_103256.jpg

20230806_103354.jpg

20230806_103435.jpg

On 8/24/2023 at 10:56 PM, Drgoldage said:

image.jpg

That's a beauty! This being a very old label there might be room for a major uptick if you are interested in that.  At least it's worth an inquiry. hm

For starters it looks better than grade, at least from the front. Also, cleaning and pressing might've been graded a bit tougher back when this book was originally slabbed ...dependent upon what kind of cleaning was employed... at least it might be considered for a conserved designation if not a universal grade. And to top it all off, your book should still get the Nicholas Cage Collection designation as well as a gold pedigree label being a Recil Macon book.  That's a win/win/win/win jackpot. :cheers: