• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,099 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2023 at 3:11 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

That's a beauty! This being a very old label there might be room for a major uptick if you are interested in that.  At least it's worth an inquiry. hm

For starters it looks better than grade, at least from the front. Also, cleaning and pressing might've been graded a bit tougher back when this book was originally slabbed ...dependent upon what kind of cleaning was employed... at least it might be considered for a conserved designation if not a universal grade. And to top it all off, your book should still get the Nicholas Cage Collection designation as well as a gold pedigree label being a Recil Macon book.  That's a win/win/win/win jackpot. :cheers:

Back cover nicer than the front , I’ve thought about getting it re-slabbed and your arguments highlight why . Thank you for the sage advice !

On 8/31/2023 at 8:31 PM, Ameri said:

I picked up this interesting Reader’s Digest knockoff cover-dated September 1939 published by Martin Goodman, one month ahead of Marvel Comics #1. The phrase “Timely Topics Condensed” is used throughout the publication.    

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939b.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939c.jpg

Hey Amer how ya been? Where the heck did you find something like that? That must have been stored in a wooden box for decades. Looked on e bay- saw none, but you weren't kidding when you said Reader's Digest knockoff. Probably got sued.

pic from e bay

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/31/2023 at 4:13 PM, Primetime said:

Celebrating the 84th anniversary of its August 31, 1939 release (OCT copy) of Marvel Comics 1.
🔥🪽💧🤠🌳🏁🦁

(Please excuse the 1939 Wizard Of Oz movie novel, and the pulp library 📚 )

IMG_4566.jpeg

When I was a kid in the 1970's, I met a guy who had three copies of Marvel Comics #1. I forgot who he was, how I met him, and how I happened to see the comics, but can describe what I do remember.

My mom drove me out to this guy's place, which as I recall was a ranch of some kind in central California (I lived in San Jose). He brought me into a room where he stored his comics and told me the story of his three Marvel Comics #1's. He had paid $10,000 for the most recent copy. The first one he acquired as a trade for services. He worked as an uncompensated employee for a year in exchange for the comic. I forget how he got the second one. He also liked Carl Barks a lot. I remember seeing several examples of original art by Barks, but the one I remember the best was the odd one. It was (IIRC) a reclining female nude with a duck face.

That is all I remember of the day, apart from the thrill of holding all three comics in my hands, safely ensconced in mylar sleeves.

On 8/31/2023 at 7:31 PM, Ameri said:

I picked up this interesting Reader’s Digest knockoff cover-dated September 1939 published by Martin Goodman, one month ahead of Marvel Comics #1. The phrase “Timely Topics Condensed” is used throughout the publication.    

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939b.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939c.jpg

If I recall correctly, Captain America began its numbering from this publication as v02n01 after this title failed.

EDIT: I'd be curious to know how many issues of this were published if you ever come across other copies or info.

Edited by Darwination