• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

usa12.jpg

I can't for the life of me remember where I got this book.

Is anyone missing one?

You need to provide some kind of warning for Centaurman so that he knows to stay well clear of any posted image, reproduction, or actual copies of this comic without the express written consent of SEC as these bright colors and hyperkinetic action would be detrimental to his chi.

New Timelys just back from CGC. To say I am happy is very much an understatement....

daring4.jpg

Got this book many moons ago from sacentaur. The Schomburg cover is awesome!

I quit! I don't think I can look at my books the same again! I pretty much a have 4 boxes of CGC and PGX Sh$t compared to what I just saw!

New Timelys just back from CGC. To say I am happy is very much an understatement....

daring4.jpg

That is stunning! Look at those reds! (worship)

If this book made it to Heritage, the ensuing bidding war would be epic! Awesome book! (worship) (worship)

Glad everyone enjoyed the Darings. My two favorite runs are Daring Mystery and Mystic.

A few reasons:

1 They are early Timely. Daring Mystery is the second Timely title and #1 is tied with Marvel 3 for the third Timely book overall. Mystic was Timely's third title.

2 The ever changing line-up of characters. In eight issues Daring had at least 33 different first appearances. Daring Mystery 7 had five origin stories! In ten issues Mystic had at least 24 first appearances.

Basically they were each try-out books introducing characters that other publishers would have given headliner status but, for Timely, were cast offs. The only enduring character was the Destroyer in Mystic. Characters like the Blazing Skull, the Challenger and Marvel Boy would later become fringe characters in Marvel continuity.

3 There isn't a bad cover in the bunch. I would argue that the least exciting cover in each run - Mystic 5, Daring Mystery 7 - are as good as the best cover on many titles from the same time period. Daring 1 and Mystic 2 are about as good as a comic cover can get.

4 While not impossible to put the relatively small runs together, they are a challenge in grade. There are some genuinely hard to find issues. Mystic 4 is particularly tough. Daring 2 and 3 are considered scarce, but their guide value has brought a few out. Daring 8 does not turn up too often. And good luck getting someone to part with a Mystic 9 (Hitler cover).

As soon as I get the rest of the Daring Mysterys back from CGC I will post them. In the meantime here is the Mystic run....

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

mystic4.jpg

mystic5.jpg

mystic6.jpg

mystic7.jpg

mystic8.jpg

mystic9.jpg

mystic10.jpg

daring4.jpg

we disagree thea--i just don't see the bad guys as communists on that cover.

daring4.jpg

Yeah, you're probably right. More likely they're Albanian anarchists. :sumo:

Richie,

I really love all the Mystic covers, but my favorites have got to be 4,7, and 10!! Outstanding my friend, I loved scrolling down the first 4....

Larson

Larson

Larson

San Fran...

Where is the Chicago?

P

I was starting to think the entire run would be Larsons...It's good to know Richard is only human after all (worship)

Wow, amazing!

No surprise that 9-10 with oven/concentration camp covers are highly sought.

Flexo the Rubberrobot/man looks especially bizarre. He was only in #1-4 and never showed up again? I don't suppose you're going to break yours out of slabs to scan them, huh? Does anyone have story pages scanned?

Thanks for showing these.

Jack

Glad everyone enjoyed the Darings. My two favorite runs are Daring Mystery and Mystic.....

4 While not impossible to put the relatively small runs together, they are a challenge in grade. There are some genuinely hard to find issues. Mystic 4 is particularly tough. Daring 2 and 3 are considered scarce, but their guide value has brought a few out. Daring 8 does not turn up too often. And good luck getting someone to part with a Mystic 9 (Hitler cover).

As soon as I get the rest of the Daring Mysterys back from CGC I will post them. In the meantime here is the Mystic run....

mystic10.jpg

daring4.jpg

356589-Daring.jpg

Here is my copy. It's only a 9.0 (Nova Scotia copy) but it will have to do.

West

Wow, amazing!

Flexo the Rubberrobot/man looks especially bizarre. He was only in #1-4 and never showed up again? I don't suppose you're going to break yours out of slabs to scan them, huh? Does anyone have story pages scanned?

Jack

Jack,

I have had most of these books for many years. When CGC first came around everyone was saying "you oughta get those slabbed, imagine what they would grade out as". I resisted for a long time. I liked having them handy and readable. Then some personal stuff happened and I realized that I should probably get them graded just to quantify what I had. So I broke down and did it. And I kinda like the fact that now that the books are holdered, my geek friends can't leave grubby fingerprints on them.

Now you are asking if I am going to break them out and read them!

And I really want to! Fletcher Hanks mania started after I sent them in.

I am SOOOOO confused!!!!!!!!!

Wow, amazing!

Jack

Jack,

I have had most of these books for many years. When CGC first came around everyone was saying "you oughta get those slabbed, imagine what they would grade out as". I resisted for a long time. I liked having them handy and readable. Then some personal stuff happened and I realized that I should probably get them graded just to quantify what I had. So I broke down and did it. And I kinda like the fact that now that the books are holdered, my geek friends can't leave grubby fingerprints on them.

:hi:

Wow, amazing!

Jack

Jack,

My work is done here.

Jack

daring4.jpg

Yeah, you're probably right. More likely they're Albanian anarchists. :sumo:

thea--now HERE are some reds!

cap76.jpg

cap77.jpg

cap78.jpg

Glad everyone enjoyed the Darings. My two favorite runs are Daring Mystery and Mystic.

A few reasons:

1 They are early Timely. Daring Mystery is the second Timely title and #1 is tied with Marvel 3 for the third Timely book overall. Mystic was Timely's third title.

2 The ever changing line-up of characters. In eight issues Daring had at least 33 different first appearances. Daring Mystery 7 had five origin stories! In ten issues Mystic had at least 24 first appearances.

Basically they were each try-out books introducing characters that other publishers would have given headliner status but, for Timely, were cast offs. The only enduring character was the Destroyer in Mystic. Characters like the Blazing Skull, the Challenger and Marvel Boy would later become fringe characters in Marvel continuity.

3 There isn't a bad cover in the bunch. I would argue that the least exciting cover in each run - Mystic 5, Daring Mystery 7 - are as good as the best cover on many titles from the same time period. Daring 1 and Mystic 2 are about as good as a comic cover can get.

Rich- stunning material. I agree with the your favorites. Mystic 2 is great.....these early books just scream "GOLDEN AGE"....jon