• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

What is cool about collecting comics?? Well in my opinion almost everything! For me its a time capsule into an earlier time. I may have not been alive during this earlier time, but I can relate to it for some reason. Don't get me wrong I am a man of the 21st Century, meaning I like my plasma TV, computers, internet, and most things modern. What I do conect with is an earlier time when people cared a little more, and worked a little harder.

For me, buying a old funny book from the 40's conects me with these earlier people and social mores. I enjoy reading posts showing pictures of young kids crowded around this artform in its infantcy. I love the smell of old paper and ink, I love the color and richness of that color as it performs a titalation of my eyes. I love the way puplishers used this to not only market youth, but to rally them in a patriotic fever. Uniting the nation to rally behind the troops, sacrificing profits, all for the benifit of our country. Can you imagine this today? Not likely!

Characters were fresh and new as the art form. Colorfull, exciting, outlandish, and to the 10yr old of 1940 something visually stunning. Pre sit com, pre-video game, these funny books we love did far more than polute the minds of 40's american children. They taught reading, imagination, hope, patriotism, and love of art.

In fact what drew me into comics as a young child was the Patriotism of Captain America. He was the best of what we as a nation should be, the perfect American. I was attracted to the selfless nature of God and Country before your own needs even then. It was the Schomburg Overstreet cover with Cap floating down to kick arse that hooked me, untill that time it was make mine Richie Rich. From that point forward, it was Cap, the Spidey, Iron man, Hulk and on to others. My first silver age back issue was in fact Captain America 100, man I was hooked. I knew someday I would buy a Captain America Comics #1, but of course I wanted a Mint copy and at that time its was like $3000.00, might as well been a Million to me. Now finally getting a copy it is a sweet as I could have ever imagined. Its not mint, but its perfect to me. In every possible sense of the word and experience its perfect an actuall GEM Mint!

It is my feeling that this experience, reconecting to an earlier time is what makes the hobby(passion) so completely wonderful. With out it, I doubt prices would be even close to today's amazing values. Comic collecting is a wonderfull disease which is impossible to explain to someone not afflicted. Today, I pulled out all my Timely's and just stared at each cover, marveling the imagination, creativity, and social conditions of the time. I was transfixed, and moved to another time where things appeared to be simpler, more defined. Maybe that is a fantasy, maybe not, but its mine and I enjoy it. The thought of young boys and girls running around to the local newstand and rushing home to ready to read the next Chapter is a good thought. Heck, today I would be afraid to let my kids go anywhere with out supervision. A world where locking the door was a rarity, not where its expected and foolish not to.

I think what I conect most with is the feeling of wanting to be suprised. That almost never happens to me anymore. Maybe I am not correct in my thinking but I think that, that is the difference. There was a world of possiblities, not said facts. Discovery's around every corner, new worlds, adventure, action, all things lost today. Nothing is supprising or new, its all so common place we don't strive for much. So maybe, thats what I hang on to, and covet with old funny books. Its my gateway to forgotten worlds of adventure and action, where the good guy is good, and he doens't always win the battle, but he does win the war. Where realism is not faked, but delt with in a honest portrayal. Bad or good, at least honest with out political correctness or politics, and where a dime bought you this, and another .25 cents got you a soda, popcorn and movie.

rantrant

Nicely said. I have the same nostalgic feelings toward the past. I am just about finished with a biography about Walt Disney that is an excellent read and captures many of these sentiments perfectly. The book does a wonderful job of describing America's culture and feelings from the early 1900's through the 1960's.

Ken

cap77.jpg

I like the black cover. It makes all the Soviets look more deadly until Cap busts through...

And it is deadly because it is THE BEST KNOWN COPY!!!!!!!!

cap77.jpg

I like the black cover. It makes all the Soviets look more deadly until Cap busts through...

And it is deadly because it is THE BEST KNOWN COPY!!!!!!!!

Still shocks me that a 7.0 is the best out there. These Atlas books were obviously under appreciated at the time (exactly why they fizzled out) and probably had very low print runs. Colors on this copy are very impressive.

hello all...

didn't heritage just auction off some 9.0? of the 76,77, and 78?...I know they had overhangs, so could't be slabbed, but I Thought there were nice?

gator

hello all...

didn't heritage just auction off some 9.0? of the 76,77, and 78?...I know they had overhangs, so could't be slabbed, but I Thought there were nice?

gator

76 and 78, no 77 in that recent auction.

hello all...

gator

well alright then...you know what I would do if I were you, parker, I would rip my shirt off, ball my fists together and start pounding on my chest like I was king of the world (or at least king of Cap 77) :baiting:

gator

hello all...

gator

The 77 from the same collection was in the previous auction and it was a 6.5.

hello all...

gator

And Billy breathed a huge sigh af relief!

hello all...

gator

I think it sold for well over $3K so Billy was probably doing a gig when he saw that.

hello all...

gator

I think it sold for well over $3K so Billy was probably doing a gig when he saw that.

You are right! I am almost positive he told me he was out frog hunting when he got the news!

hello all...

gator

You are right! I am almost positive he told me he was out frog hunting when he got the news!

i was going to let that spelling gaffe go, especially since it involved a compliment to my book, but damn that's funny.