• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
29 29

23,169 posts in this topic

There's always a lot of talk about Batman1 and Action 1 and Superman 1 and Marvel 1 and Detective 27, but I just love the Hell out of Captain America 1. It's the epitomy of everything I love about The Golden Age, yet it doesn't seem to get as much "Price" respect as the other big books. It's by far the best cover, iconic in fact, and the stories are great.Now I'm not saying it should be worth as much as Action 1 or 'Tec 27, but it should come close to some of the others, particularly in HG unrestored. Am I missing anything?

There's always a lot of talk about Batman1 and Action 1 and Superman 1 and Marvel 1 and Detective 27, but I just love the Hell out of Captain America 1. It's the epitomy of everything I love about The Golden Age, yet it doesn't seem to get as much "Price" respect as the other big books. It's by far the best cover, iconic in fact, and the stories are great.Now I'm not saying it should be worth as much as Action 1 or 'Tec 27, but it should come close to some of the others, particularly in HG unrestored. Am I missing anything?

I agree, it is a great cover and a great book, and it will likely be my only "big" purchase over the next year...that said, it appears that there are just SO many of them compared to the other GA keys...even in HG, there are quite a few, hence it does not get the same price consideration...but, it is worthy of being in anyone's top 10 for sure

This one's restored too.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

(worship):cloud9:

I need to get a reprint of that.

Have you seen the German reprint? Not only is the text in German, but the swastikas are covered over as pluses in boxes to comply with German law regarding nazi symbols.

Yeah I have. Is that the only reprint of this book?

There is a two volume hardback set that came in a slipcase. It was issued in the 1990's and covers the first ten issues of Captain America. It is called "Captain America The Classic Years". Very cool set, has covers and complete stories. No ads. I received one as a birthday present many years ago.

I had it too, but can't locate these days

Still have mine. :cloud9: It was upstairs on the west end of the house, so it survived the hurricane.

hmmm. i was under the impression even the books on the other side of the house survived Katrina.

Obviously all the photos did!

and the exclamation points not only survived, but multiplied exponentially.

This one's restored too.

CaptainAmerica1.jpg

(worship):cloud9:

I need to get a reprint of that.

Have you seen the German reprint? Not only is the text in German, but the swastikas are covered over as pluses in boxes to comply with German law regarding nazi symbols.

Yeah I have. Is that the only reprint of this book?

There is a two volume hardback set that came in a slipcase. It was issued in the 1990's and covers the first ten issues of Captain America. It is called "Captain America The Classic Years". Very cool set, has covers and complete stories. No ads. I received one as a birthday present many years ago.

I had it too, but can't locate these days

Still have mine. :cloud9: It was upstairs on the west end of the house, so it survived the hurricane.

hmmm. i was under the impression even the books on the other side of the house survived Katrina.

Obviously all the photos did!

and the exclamation points not only survived, but multiplied exponentially.

Point one out in the post by me.

And Richard, only the photos on my computer, and the ones my daughter had in her room upstairs survived. All the family pictures were downstairs, and hence were destroyed.

Point one out in the post by me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(At least that's the way I heard it)

I agree, it is a great cover and a great book, and it will likely be my only "big" purchase over the next year...that said, it appears that there are just SO many of them compared to the other GA keys...even in HG, there are quite a few, hence it does not get the same price consideration...but, it is worthy of being in anyone's top 10 for sure

I think because the artwork on the Cap #1 cover was just so much better than any other GA key out there from the same era (well detailed, great composition and layout) that it almost feels like it does not belong with the other books. Does this make sense? It looks more like a SA book than a GA book.

R.

Time to get a new schtick

OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thumbs u

YOU DA MAN, CIORAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (worship)

spock-2.jpg

Best avatar on the boards. And mighty useful I might add.

OK. Officially my first Timely ever. You know what? This has been a long time coming. After growing up as a young'in lusting after early Timelys, and trying to calculate how much it would cost to own every issue of Marvel Mystery... I forgot about them for decades. After chasing SA and BA Marvels (don't get me wrong, I love them) I feel like everything has come around full circle for me. Wow. I love it. The first of many, I hope.

CaptainAmericaComics51.jpg

OK. Officially my first Timely ever. You know what? This has been a long time coming. After growing up as a young'in lusting after early Timelys, and trying to calculate how much it would cost to own every issue of Marvel Mystery... I forgot about them for decades. After chasing SA and BA Marvels (don't get me wrong, I love them) I feel like everything has come around full circle for me. Wow. I love it. The first of many, I hope.

CaptainAmericaComics51.jpg

bravo....

Although these are officially for sale in the forum, I am not too worried if they do not sell. These books are both MIND BLOWINGLY nice. Wow. Officially my #2 and #3 Timely purchases so far and need I say that owning these books...to paraphrase Robin Williams: "borders on the mystical".....

MysticComics2V27-5.jpg

HumanTorch66-5.jpg

spock-2.jpg

Best avatar on the boards. And mighty useful I might add.

Comes in quite handy :grin: