• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,066 posts in this topic

Can somebody tell me who the resident Timely kings are around here? I've seen tons of great books but haven't really pieced together who the major Timely players are around here (this would be called laziness on my part). I'd like to know so I can start pestering them to sell me books. :)

Rick, have you decided which run to start selling off, MMC or Cap?

Mike

PS: My first Cap and first Schomburg. Should've probably started with a higher grade book but my wife says she just has to have a car to get around. Unreasonable hag.

RAD639172008124_13295.jpg

that is a nice one to start with....

I am making my list and checking it twice, but likely won't start selling copies until April in NY....however, I will entertain request prior to then, from fellow friends and boardies

Can somebody tell me who the resident Timely kings are around here? I've seen tons of great books but haven't really pieced together who the major Timely players are around here (this would be called laziness on my part). I'd like to know so I can start pestering them to sell me books. :)

Mike

PS: My first Cap and first Schomburg. Should've probably started with a higher grade book but my wife says she just has to have a car to get around. Unreasonable hag.

that is a nice one to start with....

I am making my list and checking it twice, but likely won't start selling copies until April in NY....however, I will entertain request prior to then, from fellow friends and boardies

Rick,

I'm headed to Michigan next week to catch the Red Wings game and do a little bit of gambling. If I hit it big at the blackjack tables :wishluck: you'll be hearing from me! :grin:

That's of course if I don't go to Windsor and blow it all at Jason's or Cheetah's first :blush:

Mike

Great book and a Gorrilla cover to boot, and its a real nice looking 5.0! Be proud to have a book like that.

Paul

Great book and a Gorrilla cover to boot, and its a real nice looking 5.0! Be proud to have a book like that.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I've been looking at Caps since I started buying GA a whopping 8 months ago. Glad I finally pulled the trigger. I think once I have it in my hands I'm really going to appreciate it..................and immediately want another one! :grin:

Thanks Paul. I've been looking at Caps since I started buying GA a whopping 8 months ago. Glad I finally pulled the trigger. I think once I have it in my hands I'm really going to appreciate it..................and immediately want another one! :grin:

That my friend is so true, Timely's are the most addicting comics I have ever collected....bar none! They also have given me more joy collecting then any other runs or individual comics. Congrats!

I always liked this cover with the picture frame aspect and all. The back cover on this copy is almost flawless and wish is was the other way around. Its still a kickass solid copy with decent pages and awesome inks/gloss. The tears on the front cover are nowhere as bad as the scanner makes them out to be.

However, with other books on the near horizon I will probably only get to enjoy it for a short time. I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.

Also, looking at the census I didn't realize these later issues were that hard in grade.

CaptainAmerica7365-July1948.jpg

:applause: I have a sad story about this book. On our honeymoon, I went into an antique store with my wife and decided we'd buy each other a souvenir. The store had a copy of that book ... at the time though I didn't want to pay as much as she asked for it (which would have been a steal :pullhair:). We still walked away with a copy of Exciting # 62 (Schomburg airbrush cover) and a copy of the Joan of Arc Classics Illustrated for my wife. I do :luhv: <3 to this day but still kick myself for not picking the Cap. I knew it was tough but I didn't buy it :sorry:

Also, was it in this thread that the terribly registered book was re-posted recently? Anyway, I was going through some pics on my machine and found this other doozy -

53036-SuperMysteryOffRegisters.jpg.b23865af9fbc4a8245734e7f04996491.jpg

my timelys are bought these days basically on upgrade theory, and i managed to get these two from C'link. that little young allies has been a hard one, as i've been looking to upgrade my ragged-out copy for quite some time.

RADB48CC2008117_103151.jpgRADCA2DD20071031_104645.jpg

my timelys are bought these days basically on upgrade theory, and i managed to get these two from C'link. that little young allies has been a hard one, as i've been looking to upgrade my ragged-out copy for quite some time.

RADB48CC2008117_103151.jpgRADCA2DD20071031_104645.jpg

Can anybody offer some insight on what mid-grade Young Allies books usually go for? Guide? More than guide? If so, how big a percentage over guide? I'm thinking books in the 5.0-7.0 range.

There's one I want and the guy is asking for right about guide price but it's raw. If I slab it and it ends up coming up even a 1/2 point below what I expect I will have ended up paying about 25% over guide. Is that too much?

Thanks all,

Mike

my understanding is YA usually sell under guide in all grades? (shrug)

not a hot timely title, money off guide can indeed be saved on anything except the 4 perhaps. the 3 i an around guide book as well. it has been my experience that some of the mid-teen books are HARD to find in non-beater condition.

not a hot timely title, money off guide can indeed be saved on anything except the 4 perhaps. the 3 i an around guide book as well. it has been my experience that some of the mid-teen books are HARD to find in non-beater condition.

that man knows for sure

that man knows for sure

(thumbs u Thanks Guys! Learn something every day around here.

that man knows for sure

I bought a copy in the last CLINK auction for under guide. Bid way before the auction ended and my bid held the entire time. I actually like the title and have been considering taking a stab at the run ...

Young Allies are probably the least popular of the mainstream Timely titles because the big 3 aren't in there...but the Schomburg art is still cool (thumbs u

agreed, definitely the least popular and my least favorite, even with schomburg...that said, it makes greg's plan at taking a stab at the run, very viable and maybe even smart, since the issues are not typical timely high (thumbs u

I always say, buy what you like, even though I sometimes buy what other folks like lol

got these back yesterday from the Montclair Museum where they were part of the exhibition....thought i would share before i "vault" them. (Yes the one and two have some restoration performed by Bill Sarril in (gulp) 1981.....

(and throw in the 3 for the viewing pleasure)

53082-captamerica1.jpg.f5cfc56c56403ba64ecab90d4a96311a.jpg

53083-captamerica2.jpg.a6ba4180c0a34021d166c9b77a6e812a.jpg

53084-captamerica8.jpg.cc647f92fa8306eb9599abcd905d94da.jpg

53085-captamerica3.jpg.b91913f9d79fe0b6472a53d4f0ae0f4b.jpg