• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,084 posts in this topic

mm9.jpg

hello all...

got this little beaut in from metro today...big thanks to S and V...

rick

SaaaWwwweeet Rick!!!!

I want that book so bad, I gotta make that one of my goals for this year. Congrats my friend, I know you were dying to lay your hands on one of these. So how many left including paid but not recieved? 34?.....or so! hail.gif

Well done , Rick!! A beauty of a book. looks solid for its grade!!

Glad you snagged one!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

hey ryan...yours is quite the beaut too wink.gif, and at a very handsome price!

rick

Another question for this thread. Is there a list of all the Mile High Timely's and approx. grades and or a photo journal of them...besides gerber. I know Verzel sp? owns most of them, but I just wonder if he has shared them with the world or are they tucked away?

Last question for now, is there better projection of scarcity for GA books out there? Gerber seems to be way off on many of these......even harder to tell with resubmissions to CGC. I wish they had a web site link for typing in serial number of the book and checking off the census when broken from slab. Its so hard to tell whether certain books are just tucked away or actually scarce, it seems many scarce books from Gerber are most likely double the count not factoring in long time collections which have not surfaced or hidden finds yet to be discovered. I am hoping and thinking one of you guys will have some data derived from years of experience and or collecting experience.

Paul

Has anyone posted a High grade Red Raven 1? I would love to see that. I wonder if Bang has one of those tucked away in his piles of Gold?

Does this count as high grade? (around a FN+/VF, minor resto work reinforcement around staples)... I apologize to those of you who are tiring of this image ... its one of my favorite books in my collection, so any excuse to post...

You should try to track down JonB's Larson Red Raven scans (in this thread?)... you'll see mine is a "why bother"...

1749895-redravenPOSTlo.jpg

1749895-redravenPOSTlo.jpg.31fd283002efd73cd81c28f4c2c7e9d9.jpg

Edited by RyanH

redraven1.jpg

Paul,

John Verzyl does indeed have a majority of the Mile High Timelys. As far as I know he doesn't participate on the boards, but he is a super knowledgable guy, and always ready to share stories if you can ever get him on the phone. (Be prepared for a long conversation if you do!) I don't know if anyone has seen all of them in a long time. I know he hasn't had them graded. He doesn't have the Mile High of Red Raven 1 though. That is the one book Chuck R. still owns.

Has anyone posted a High grade Red Raven 1? I would love to see that. I wonder if Bang has one of those tucked away in his piles of Gold?

Does this count as high grade? (around a FN+/VF, minor resto work reinforcement around staples)... I apologize to those of you who are tiring of this image ... its one of my favorite books in my collection, so any excuse to post...

You should try to track down JonB's Larson Red Raven scans (in this thread?)... you'll see mine is a "why bother"...

1749895-redravenPOSTlo.jpg

Ryan,

You should never use "Red Raven #1" and "why bother" in the same paragraph! One of my favorite books also!

Ryan,

You should never use "Red Raven #1" and "why bother" in the same paragraph! One of my favorite books also!

This is true, Mr.B ! That is a sweet copy BTW! I can't see enough of this book. Ever since I saw it at Doug Sulipa's Comic World back around 1982, I have wanted a copy!! Seems like some people don't "get" the book ... I am not one of those!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You are right about it being so cool. And it is a tough book to find in grade. I looked for YEARS for a nice copy. Not even high grade, just nice looking. It is one of those books (like All-American 16) where you usually see copies that are ugly or have lots of unsightly restoration (you know, where they really looked restored and fake). And with the awesome cover, when you see a nice copy it really stands out. I like yours for that reason. It has great eye appeal and looks real.

My favorite Timelys are the titles like Daring Mystery and Mystic, where each issue has a totally different line-up. Sure, most of the characters appeared in one issue for good reason. But it is interesting reading these stories where obviously the creators are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Red Raven #1 is the epitome of that.

You are right about it being so cool. And it is a tough book to find in grade. I looked for YEARS for a nice copy. Not even high grade, just nice looking. It is one of those books (like All-American 16) where you usually see copies that are ugly or have lots of unsightly restoration (you know, where they really looked restored and fake). And with the awesome cover, when you see a nice copy it really stands out. I like yours for that reason. It has great eye appeal and looks real.

My favorite Timelys are the titles like Daring Mystery and Mystic, where each issue has a totally different line-up. Sure, most of the characters appeared in one issue for good reason. But it is interesting reading these stories where obviously the creators are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Red Raven #1 is the epitome of that.

THANK YOU for summing that up so well! I love those titles for the same reason ... I have always loved the more obscure stuff. As much as I appreciate the more main stream titles, I love the odd-ness of the DARING MYSTERY line up, and the fact they are these little mini-runs. They pushed the envelope, probably a bit too far for most readers at the time.

RED RAVEN is full of characters that only appeared once, and has a great assortment (a disembodied brain, and flying bat guy, a magician, a sci fi Kirby story, etc.). You won't find that in other book. I can't think of another one-shot that has this sort of appeal, from this early period of comics.

The fact that it has two Kirby stories and a Kirby cover is the gravy!! And the fact it is so hard to find in any condition makes it all the more desirable (to me, anyways).

Sorry Rick... don't mean to derail this thread onto Red Raven ... I will say for me, RR runs a close second to MARVEL #9, which is a true classic for so many reasons.

redraven1.jpg

Paul,

John Verzyl does indeed have a majority of the Mile High Timelys. As far as I know he doesn't participate on the boards, but he is a super knowledgable guy, and always ready to share stories if you can ever get him on the phone. (Be prepared for a long conversation if you do!) I don't know if anyone has seen all of them in a long time. I know he hasn't had them graded. He doesn't have the Mile High of Red Raven 1 though. That is the one book Chuck R. still owns.

Richard,

I would so love to see all of those books! I can't imagine how beautiful it would be to even have one of them, let alone see all grouped together. What some 400 Super hero Timely's in high grade.... acclaim.gif

Does anyone know him personally enough to see if he would allow pics to be taken and posted in his honor on the boards?