• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
29 29

23,169 posts in this topic

I wonder why Roy Thomas is written on the first page? He certainly didn't have anything to do with this book, or was probably even born when it came out...???

I highly doubt it is the same Roy Thomas... :/

You never know....it could have been bought at a comic show back in the 70's, when Roy was EIC of Marvel, and some young collector just got him to sign it. Pure speculation on my part, but it underscores the importance of knowing where your books came from, when possible.

I should have scanned the splash to compare the sig with a real Roy Thomas sig (which I have no idea what it looks like)...no matter, this book is all about the Schomburg cover..don't have too much interest for Thomas :foryou:

Roy should be praised to high heaven if not for his tenure as EIC, then for his effort as a fan. The recent version of Alter Ego is simply one of the highest achievement in documenting the history of the medium and of our hobby. I wouldn't know 85% of what I do about GA and AA if not for that mag.

Nifty page! I like it when the artist, Sekowsky i think, breaks the "third wall" in these GA books.

I don't think this counts as a superhero appearance. I think it would be better characterized as an appearance of a superhero comic.

comedycappage.jpg

It is a cool find. Can we see what happens next?

Sekowsky self-portrait? Looks like it.

mike_sekowsky2.jpg

(Is breaking the third wall a version of breaking the fourth wall for a two-dimensional comic-book page? Clever if that's what you meant.)

Jack

:acclaim:

Nifty page! I like it when the artist, Sekowsky i think, breaks the "third wall" in these GA books.

(Is breaking the third wall a version of breaking the fourth wall for a two-dimensional comic-book page? Clever if that's what you meant.)

:acclaim:

Classic "I meant to do that!" recovery.

:baiting:

Jack

Roy should be praised to high heaven if not for his tenure as EIC, then for his effort as a fan. The recent version of Alter Ego is simply one of the highest achievement in documenting the history of the medium and of our hobby. I wouldn't know 85% of what I do about GA and AA if not for that mag.

I second that (thumbs u

I second that (thumbs u

I third it :applause:

And would add that he was the most gifted writer of comics that I've ever read. His Conan run is the stuff dreams are made of.

And that's probably why someone got him to sign it. Sure, Roy Thomas is a common name, but the coincidence is a bit overwhelming.

Roy was an avid GA collector as well, so it simply may have been a book from his collection.

And that's probably why someone got him to sign it. Sure, Roy Thomas is a common name, but the coincidence is a bit overwhelming.

Roy was an avid GA collector as well, so it simply may have been a book from his collection.

Yikes! I'd hate to think that he wrote his name in his books, but he may have. After all, it's not like it hasn't been done before...... Larson .........

An interesting (maybe) Roy Thomas story.

In the mid-eighties he was trying to put together bound volumes of DC comics which contained on book from each title from each year. For one of the books he needed a Comic Cavalcade. He was at the San Diego Con and ran across a Comic Cavalcade which fit his criteria. The problem...it was the Church copy. He was hesitant to buy it due to the cost. The dealer (Joe Dungan) was hesitant to sell it due to Roy's intentions. But a deal was done and a Church Comic Cavalcade is now bound in Roy's collection.

In the mid-eighties he was trying to put together bound volumes of DC comics which contained on book from each title from each year. For one of the books he needed a Comic Cavalcade. He was at the San Diego Con and ran across a Comic Cavalcade which fit his criteria. The problem...it was the Church copy. He was hesitant to buy it due to the cost. The dealer (Joe Dungan) was hesitant to sell it due to Roy's intentions. But a deal was done and a Church Comic Cavalcade is now bound in Roy's collection.

Ouch, someone bound a church copy? And people get their panties in a knot when I get pedigreed books signed.

:cry:

:cry:

Seriously, that's sacriliage. (tsk)

Cap3.jpg

One of the All time great covers, finally got around to posting it, thanks Ryan.

One of the absolute most desirable Timely covers there is. In fact, one of my most favorite of all GA covers. Such an incredible work of art and a great book. :cloud9:

Cap3.jpg

One of the All time great covers, finally got around to posting it, thanks Ryan.

One of the absolute most desirable Timely covers there is. In fact, one of my most favorite of all GA covers. Such an incredible work of art and a great book. :cloud9:

Thanks Dizz.... the Red Skull covers are the best of the whole Cap run IMO

Now I am strongly considering getting a double SS by Joe and Stan, what does everyone think? Do it? or no?

I personally am not a big fan of signatured books if it is a GA or SA book. So, I would say leave as is and enjoy the cover without a signature on it. Def. a nice Red Skull cover and one of my favorites as well! Nice pickup!