• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

I love the spines on your old label books Sarte. I guess that's what spines looked like on high grade books before they all started getting pressed. :(
lol

I love the spines on your old label books Sarte. I guess that's what spines looked like on high grade books before they all started getting pressed. :(

Some day, it'll be one of those things that guys tell their great-grandkids about, like ivory-billed woodpeckers: "When I was your age, Sonny Boy, there used to be some comic books that wasn't all flattened out and creased along the spine, almost like they didn't bother to iron 'em after they was printed. I saw one myself back in aught-nine at Wizard World. Some say a few might still exist somewheres..."

Some day, it'll be one of those things that guys tell their great-grandkids about, like ivory-billed woodpeckers: "When I was your age, Sonny Boy, there used to be some comic books that wasn't all flattened out and creased along the spine, almost like they didn't bother to iron 'em after they was printed. I saw one myself back in aught-nine at Wizard World. Some say a few might still exist somewheres..."

Pressing has been around long before CGC existed. On page 472 of the 17th edition of Overstreet ( 1987 ), there's an advertisement from Fantazia ( Danny Dupcak ), that lists pressing/spine-roll removal among other things. So are these beautiful spines in the old label slabs you're referring to truly untouched or were they pressed 15-20-25 years ago? Can you tell? (shrug)

Pressing has been around long before CGC existed. On page 472 of the 17th edition of Overstreet ( 1987 ), there's an advertisement from Fantazia ( Danny Dupcak ), that lists pressing/spine-roll removal among other things. So are these beautiful spines in the old label slabs you're referring to truly untouched or were they pressed 15-20-25 years ago? Can you tell? (shrug)

Depending on the nature of the flaws that are being removed, I think that it's possible to press a book in a way that does not flatten the spine. For example, I've seen books pressed by Matt Nelson in a way that left the spine in its original rounded condition. But, unfortunately, there are a lot of less skilled pressers out there who simply smash the book. And it's become so prevalent that books with spines like Sarte's are becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Depending on the nature of the flaws that are being removed, I think that it's possible to press a book in a way that does not flatten the spine. For example, I've seen books pressed by Matt Nelson in a way that left the spine in its original rounded condition. But, unfortunately, there are a lot of less skilled pressers out there who simply smash the book. And it's become so prevalent that books with spines like Sarte's are becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

[font:Times New Roman] +1

Bad presses and poor judgment in respect to which books are suitable candidates for the process are the likely reasons pressing is held in such low esteem by so many folks.

OTOH, I have as much respect for the care Matt takes with books as I have for the quality of sartre's collection. Both are first class.[/font] (thumbs u

Bad presses and poor judgment in respect to which books are suitable candidates for the process are the likely reasons pressing is held in such low esteem by so many folks.

OTOH, I have as much respect for the care Matt takes with books as I have for the quality of sartre's collection. Both are first class.[/font] (thumbs u

Here's an example of a bad press job. (I have no idea who did it.)

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7073&lotNo=93045

The book was a 9.2 before the press (no tear near the upper staple):

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=804&lotNo=5126

[font:Times New Roman]Actually, that isn't the case here.

smiley-char156.gif I've seen this book up close (before and after), know who owns it and the cause of the condition change. Trust me it was not a bad press job.[/font]

I got this today. One of the lesser known Timelys. Here's all the splashes

P3192318_zps7645944f.jpg

p3192319_zps56ab8298.jpg

p3192320_zpsaafabe9c.jpg

p3192321_zpsdcbab5e3.jpg

p3192322_zps3df5a2f5.jpg

p3192323_zps37408916.jpg

p3192324_zps48a1522c.jpg

p3192325_zps62c60fc8.jpg

p3192326_zpscdcc4ace.jpg

p3192327_zpsfb44f315.jpg

p3192328_zps8dda674a.jpg

P3192331_zps8ed3e4d8.jpg

Thanks for posting the splashes! Really cool to see the insides! (thumbs u

Ouch! :o

I got this today. One of the lesser known Timelys. Here's all the splashes

p3192321_zpsdcbab5e3.jpg

p3192322_zps3df5a2f5.jpg

That's a very cool splash on the Fourth Musketeer! Primary colors gone mad! :) I also like that Cap ad! Sorry some kid went nuts with a crayon all over it, but still - nice pickup!