• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,088 posts in this topic

Here's the original cover that was reprinted in The Marvel Comics Omnibus

MARVEL2ORIGINALCONCEPT_zps0e48b94d.jpg

I've seen several Charles Mazoujian prelims for this cover in Metro's Showroom. The original art is eye popping.

The 'stache is a great look for this character and Goodman should've okayed the earlier version, but the end result looks fine... :cloud9:

149675d5-7c5d-40d1-98b5-5c43113cc082_zpscb45ac92.jpg

Here's the original cover that was reprinted in The Marvel Comics Omnibus

MARVEL2ORIGINALCONCEPT_zps0e48b94d.jpg

I've seen several Charles Mazoujian prelims for this cover in Metro's Showroom. The original art is eye popping.

The 'stache is a great look for this character and Goodman should've okayed the earlier version, but the end result looks fine... :cloud9:

149675d5-7c5d-40d1-98b5-5c43113cc082_zpscb45ac92.jpg

beautiful colors on your copy (thumbs u

If only those bombers had a swastica on them...

[font:Times New Roman]Good point. Swasticas are strongly implied in Chuck Mazoujian's cover, but given the mood of the time (the U.S.'s professed neutrality) Jewish comic publishers must've given a lot of thought to printing covers overtly critical of the nazis (war in Europe was officially declared in Sept. '39, probably after the cover for MM#2 was commissioned). Sadly, the German-American bund was still active in this country and very dangerous to openly oppose in 1939, but within months national views and Timely's art policies started to evolve.

A little more on the bund for those interested in the historical minutiae... [/font]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_Bund

This is also in the Marvel Comics Omnibus

MARVEL2ashcanCONCEPT_zpsbd544524.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Awesome! (thumbs u

The original art can be seen in Metro's Showroom by appointment, and if you're like me your wallet will probably weigh less after the visit. [/font] lol

x2 Recent pickups.

I'm sure I overpaid for both...

I can't believe how long it took to even find a Mystic #8...

I've always loved that cover.

10306681035_83f6713f37_o.jpg

10306664174_7f7c336079_o.jpg

wow, those are beautiful copies of two of my favorite books. Can't go wrong with those! Congrats. I had a Mystic 8 in the 90's, sold it, and finally found this one, but it took several years of searching.

MYSTIC8fix_zps7b158afb.jpg

x2 Recent pickups.

[font:Times New Roman]Nice Mystics! One of my favorite Timely titles.[/font] :applause:

I did the Metro tour in May. Houdini padlocks, Frankenstein and Dracula 3 sheet posters, early Superman OA covers, and an uncut sheet of nine Mystic 3 covers! :cloud9:

[font:Times New Roman]Congrats! It's like a candy store for comic geeks. Unfortunately, no matter how much pocket change I bring along there's never enough to buy all the eye candy I want. [/font] :cry:

x2 Recent pickups.

wow, those are beautiful copies of two of my favorite books. Can't go wrong with those! Congrats. I had a Mystic 8 in the 90's, sold it, and finally found this one, but it took several years of searching.

MYSTIC8fix_zps7b158afb.jpg

Nice Mystics guys.. I love that Cap book, it has always been at the top of my want list. Congrats!