• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

Not the Timely you were expecting, but the one you deserve (to see): lol

The hyper rare Captain America Vol 1 #1:

IMG_20161111_080438_zpsktyu1x2f.jpg

Only somewhat kidding, as this is generally considered to be the reason Cap #1 says vol 2 #1 in the indicia. Popular Digest #2 appears out of the blue just prior to Cap 1.

That aside, probably even cooler for the fact that it is indeed Martin Goodman's very first Timely Publication, shows you why Timely is called Timely, and hitting just before Marvel 1:

IMG_20161111_080545_zpsgfgkbtzp.jpg

No comics, still cool though.

Mark, this is just awesome.

Is something like this particularly tough to find? I've never seen one before.

When I first started looking, I found the #2 instantly and there were a couple other copies of it out there at the time.

I had the #1 as an ebay search for 3-4 years before I got one.

It's meant to be a Reader's Digest knock off, obviously. You'd presume it didn't work for Goodman, since he didn't run with it.

xxx

Sartre, I love your books but you really gotta invest in a better way to scan or photograph them. Your pics just don't do the books justice. It'd be like showing up at car show with your new Bentley after taking it offroading in a mud pit! lol

PM me on suggestions

When I first started looking, I found the #2 instantly and there were a couple other copies of it out there at the time.

It's meant to be a Reader's Digest knock off, obviously. You'd presume it didn't work for Goodman, since he didn't run with it.

Speaking of offshoot stuff, I picked up this Goodman pulp recently. June 1939, several months before Schomburg did his first Timely comic book cover. The cover is not Schomburg though, it's J.W. Scott, but the interior illustrations are Schomburg:

Sky%20Devils%20June%201939%20J.W.%20Scott%20cover_zpscsjd0qx2.jpg

Ske%20Devils%20Schomburg_zpstseg1wzj.jpg

Ske%20Devils%20Schomburg%20sig_zpsnnpjnwzi.jpg

Speaking of offshoot stuff, I picked up this Goodman pulp recently. June 1939, several months before Schomburg did his first Timely comic book cover. The cover is not Schomburg though, it's J.W. Scott, but the interior illustrations are Schomburg:

(thumbs u

Very cool! I love me some Red Circle pulps!

Oct 30th 1939 Daring Mystery #1 is Mr. Schomburg's first right? 3rd Timely comic book.

I'll get one someday.

Edited by Knightsofold

Very cool! I love me some Red Circle pulps!

Oct 30th 1939 Daring Mystery #1 is Mr. Schomburg's first right? 3rd Timely comic book.

I'll get one someday.

correct, DM 1 was Schomburg's first cover for Timely. Marvel Mystery 3 was his next.