• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on PQ in regard to sales value

57 posts in this topic

Heritage had an AF15 5.0 with white pages a few months ago and it brought out bidders in droves. It went for around 11K when the 12 month avg had been 8K. All of that was not premium for the white pages but I think it was a big factor.

I think PQ, especially in a slab, is simply silly.

Tanning on the cover? OK, I get the reluctance. Dust shadows? Fine there too.

But staying away from CR/OW on silver age books really makes little sense to me.

I can understand paying a premium for white pages, I can understand staying away from brittle, but the difference between CR/OW and OW is so negligible (and, let's be honest, fluid) that I just don't get the fear that the collector could outlive the book, especially a book encased in plastic that may never be touched by human hands again.

But staying away from CR/OW on silver age books really makes little sense to me.

I can understand paying a premium for white pages, I can understand staying away from brittle, but the difference between CR/OW and OW is so negligible (and, let's be honest, fluid) that I just don't get the fear that the collector could outlive the book, especially a book encased in plastic that may never be touched by human hands again.

AMEN! (worship)

(thumbs u

Personally, I think it is vastly over-rated. If a book is tan, it is one thing, but honestly, I have heard that not much thought and consideration goes into page quality labeling. Heard that from a current grader.

you know what is funny....

I bet I could show some folks (not all, but many) a c/ow cgc designated book, and an ow or ow/w paged book, and if they didn't know which was which, they would scratch their heads...

Well, all three are getting a big (thumbs u from me.

I'll pay more for a WHITE. How much more? completely depends on the BOOK, and my need for it!

WE HAVE A WINNER! I'm guilty of this.

I could easily be guilty of what Detective27Kid noted and what Kryptospidey stated I fully agree.

Before CGC, page quality was as important as the overall grade of the book when grading GA and SA. Nice books with white pages always commanded a premium whereas nice books with creamy/tanny/yellowy pages were sold below guide. Books with off-white pages, or off-white to white basically sold for guide.

The page quality of Church books was as important a factor as the grade itself.

Now that the books have been encapsulated, page quality has become almost irrelevant. Encapsulation has increased the value of thousands of books with creamy pages at the expense of collectors who really don't know any better or been told it's unimportant.

The acceptance of the idea that since you "can't see the pages so they aren't important anymore" by the collecting community proves that the vast majority of today's collectors are less informed about their hobby, less interested in learning how to grade properly, and are far more gullible than collectors who preceded them. Ignorance is bliss.

Today's collectors for the most part only care about how the cover looks and the number in the corner - which is exactly what CGC, Heritage, Comiclink and the other auction sites want them to think.

If one thinks objectively about page quality, it's difficult to refute the importance of supple white pages. The whiter the pages the longer the book will exist. The whiter the pages the more attractive the book is. The whiter the pages the rarer the book is.

If one thinks objectively about page quality, it's difficult to refute the importance of supple white pages. The whiter the pages the longer the book will exist.

This is incorrect. All books, even white pagers, have levels of acid that will turn them into dust if not stored/handled properly. A white pager will last no longer than a cream pager. Any book, whatever the page quality, will deteriorate fairly quickly to brittleness, through the process of acid hydrolysis, if stored incorrectly.

If you collect white pagers because that's your collecting preference, that's one thing, but to choose them because you think they will last longer than other PQ books is scientifically incorrect.

If one thinks objectively about page quality, it's difficult to refute the importance of supple white pages. The whiter the pages the longer the book will exist.

This is incorrect. All books, even white pagers, have levels of acid that will turn them into dust if not stored/handled properly. A white pager will last no longer than a cream pager. Any book, whatever the page quality, will deteriorate fairly quickly to brittleness, through the process of acid hydrolysis, if stored incorrectly.

If you collect white pagers because that's your collecting preference, that's one thing, but to choose them because you think they will last longer than other PQ books is scientifically incorrect.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Protecting books against storage and handling damage - as well as storing them in cool, dark, dry conditions - are the most important factors in preserving them.

If one starts the proper preservation process with white pages, that book will last longer than one that's already off-white or worse.

Protecting books against storage and handling damage - as well as storing them in cool, dark, dry conditions - are the most important factors in preserving them.

If one starts the proper preservation process with white pages, that book will last longer than one that's already off-white or worse.

Really? By how many more years? decades? etc? I would love to know the scientific basis for your statement.

Really? By how many more years? decades? etc? I would love to know the scientific basis for your statement.

I could be wrong but just intuitively I would have to agree with Moondog's thinking. Didn't c/ow pages get that way because they were stored less optimally then white pages? So if you took 2 books - one with white pq and one with c/ow pq and stored them in the exact same conditions: the white pq book would deteriorate at the same rate as the c/ow book but the c/ow book would ultimately turn to dust faster then the white pq book simply because it's deterioration was already in an advanced state. Whether it be 100 years or 10000 years...

I could be wrong but just intuitively I would have to agree with Moondog's thinking. Didn't c/ow pages get that way because they were stored less optimally then white pages? So if you took 2 books - one with white pq and one with c/ow pq and stored them in the exact same conditions: the white pq book would deteriorate at the same rate as the c/ow book but the c/ow book would ultimately turn to dust faster then the white pq book simply because it's deterioration was already in an advanced state. Whether it be 100 years or 10000 years...

The two books would deteriorate at around the same rate, and in the correct conditions the difference would be negligible.

The two books would deteriorate at around the same rate.

right - I agree. But because the C/OW book had a nice jump start in the deterioration process it would ultimately deteriorate at the same rate and it woudl always have a lower pq than the one that started out white. So in 1000 years when the white pq copy turns c/ow the other copy will be brittle. right? (shrug)

The two books would deteriorate at around the same rate.

right - I agree. But because the C/OW book had a nice jump start in the deterioration process it would ultimately deteriorate at the same rate and it woudl always have a lower pq than the one that started out white. So in 1000 years when the white pq copy turns c/ow the other copy will be brittle. right? (shrug)

I agree with you that we're talking about thousands of years, especially if we are talking about keeping the books stored in as optimal conditions as possible. I think the process of the fibers breaking down into smaller fragments in the paper of either book, while both are stored in optimal conditions, would be tiny.

For me, the page quality depends on the age of the book.

^^ Also factored into that is the genre. For instance, if I'm looking at 50's DC war comics, I know those books can be hard to find with OW or W pages. In some cases for those books, C/OW is acceptable.

I avoid like the plague PQ worse than that, especially brittle pages.