• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HIPHOP AND COMICS.

53 posts in this topic

I'm an old school rap fan: Public Enemy, SIr-Mix-A-Lot, Rakim, etc.

I'm not hip-hop head, but Eric B. and Rakim are one of my all-time favorites in any genre of music. Also, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Peter Rock and C.L. Smooth, Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick and Digable Planets were fantastic. I actually have a moderate hatred of the current hip-hop mindset.

I always preferred NWA's stuff. I like gangsta rap. Guns,keys, and wildstyle lifestyle.

Yep, that's why I used the word Hip-Hop, rather than rap, cuz lately there's been TOO much junk, you right, but real Hip-Hop is still around, just gotta dig. And yep, Eric B and Rakim are my all time favorites too.

I'm an old school rap fan: Public Enemy, SIr-Mix-A-Lot, Rakim, etc.

I'm not hip-hop head, but Eric B. and Rakim are one of my all-time favorites in any genre of music. Also, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Peter Rock and C.L. Smooth, Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick and Digable Planets were fantastic. I actually have a moderate hatred of the current hip-hop mindset.

Word.....yeah!!
If you want I can post you to my hardcore bands page. That has thrash metal overtones with violent breakdowns (thumbs u

Basically I made music to fight to.

That explains everything lol

Post the link (thumbs u

Word.....yeah!!
If you want I can post you to my hardcore bands page. That has thrash metal overtones with violent breakdowns (thumbs u

Post the link (thumbs u

http://www.myspace.com/pray4death

Hip hop and comics are so similar in that they're so dorky.

When you get down to it, hip hop is super nerdy. If you're a battle DJ, you just sit in your room and practice, collect records and are some sound guy.

I've been writing graff for about 10 years now and it's a super lonely hobby, especially if you paint trains.

B-boying and rapping are alittle different. That's like the face of hip hop. You have to be charismatic.

I like the old school stuff...

Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, DMC, Fesh Wes, Ice-T....

From the late 70s thru the early 90s for the most part.

Once the trend changed from rap battles to gun battles i lost interest.

Word.....yeah!!

Post the link (thumbs u

That's cool that you have a band.

I've been trying to start one with my friends the past 6 months or so. We need a drummer.

I'm more into hard rock and very heavy metal than hip-hop, but still have a lot of De La Soul and DMC stuff. Check out Skindred's Babylon album for a awesome mixture of punk/metal/ragga/hip-hop. Mindblowing stuff (thumbs u

My old band was sort of a cross between Rancid, Sublime and Foo Fighters kind of stuff.

I'm just curious how many comic heads are actually hip-hop heads too? I don't have 'many' Hip-Hop friends who are into comics to, but I know they exist.

Are you one?

I'm actually an artist myself and lately i've been so inspired by comics and I'm hoping that it actually comes across in my music in the way that it's abstract. If anybody is curious they can hear my music on www.K-TAJUZ.co.uk but i'm not tryna spam at all...

"I'm trying to get my foot in like a shoe horn, cuz sometimes I feel invisible like Sue Storm, but I don't have no reason to feel Fantastic for (4)" - That's just a line from a new song I'm working on, just really liked the wordplay.

...I saw some guy on the forum with Tech N9ne in his signature and I heard some other guy mention Ghost Face (Tony Stark) on the board, so that got me curious on how the comic world perceives Hip-Hop music.

I'm more than sure there's going to be a bunch of MF DOOM fans on the board!

Sorry if i've gone on to long, lol!

I find hip-hop fans are more into manga then the traditional superhero comics. just my 2c especially the young people.

Word.....yeah!!

Post the link (thumbs u

I've been trying to start one with my friends the past 6 months or so. We need a drummer.

My boy Steve from Long Island promotes hardcore shows in florida, and there were a few decent bands down there. We toured alot with Vietnom, but they split up finally.

I have been on a stage in almost 3 years.

Word.....yeah!!

Post the link (thumbs u

My boy Steve from Long Island promotes hardcore shows in florida, and there were a few decent bands down there. We toured alot with Vietnom, but they split up finally.

I have been on a stage in almost 3 years.

8 years for me. Man I miss it but just don't have the time these days.

I folded it in after my last member fiasco. Guitarist quit on our way to Illinois to kick off a 22 show tour that led across many states.. I had replaced so many members by the time we stopped I just couldnt do it anymore. The tour took me 2 months to set up with my friends from st.louis. And when I had to drop off, it killed me.

These days. I would do something for just fun unless a large lump of cash and other add ons were involved.

These days. I would do something for just fun unless a large lump of cash and other add ons were involved.

I would if it was pick up and play and that was that. Rehearsal time is a complete no-no for me with work and the kids and the site, they just take up all of my time.

I had two spells in my last band and after the second record deal went sour and a British tour that cost us thousands of £££ I'd had enough. We were being ripped off everywhere we turned. We recorded an album financed by us (studio time, a couple of big name producers, pressing and printing etc) and never made a penny off it. It damn near crippled us.

The album cost us just over $2,300 to record and another $1,500 to get printed and cut. We used Andy Schilletto (Sneaker Pimps) and Jim Warren (Radiohead) to record and produce, we mucked in with the production.

Unfortunately our manager was a and took the CDs and run, and there was nothing in the contract to help us out - we were young and dumb. The tour then was self funded with a view to making back the money through ticket sales, but we didn't know they were all presales with money going to the manager yet again, we never saw a sniff of it.

We did finish the tour though to get the name around. It ultimately meant the album sold more so made the sneaky of a manager even more money. That killed it for me.