• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who makes up these ratings?????

38 posts in this topic

In my area we have Comcast for our TV cable system and they are showing two excellent movies this morning on FX and TNT (two channels that suck when it comes to showing most movies because they tend to cut stuff out, but anyway...), the movies they are showing are: Spider-Man 2 and The Matrix. Both are kick azz movies, of course! I regard TM to be a bit better than SM2 simply because it was more cutting edge when it came out and influenced a genre. That having been said I would give them both equal rating (as far as star ratings are concerned). But apparently the networks don't see TM as being all that special and so they give it 3 stars. Ok, I can buy that, maybe its not special enough to garner that 4th star....but they put SM2 AS 4 STAR MOVIE????????? WTF?????????? doh!

As great a movie as SM2 is, its not in the 4 star class. 4 star movies are the absolute epitome of all movies. It is a rating that is reserved for the absolute best movies out there (too many to name, but you know who you are!) and SM2 as good as it is, is not one of the absolute best. So excuse the rant, but it has bothered me for some time how movies are rated. Does anybody even know who actually rates the movies? Is it done by the cable companies themselves or some other agency?? Cuz they should fire whomever does it!!

rantrant

And also, it depends on the channel.

One day, flipping through channels I noticed they had given "Army of Darkness" one star - a tragedy to behold. Then a few days later, another channel had the same movie listed, and they had given it three stars.

But I wondered myself who is assigning these ratings as you can tell with some they hate comic-based movies or action flicks.

One star for "Army of Darkness" doh!

They gave the first "Gremlins" movie 2 stars and the sequel 3 stars!! I have not seen the 2nd Gremlins movie...but is it really a 3 star movie????? :makepoint:

They gave the first "Gremlins" movie 2 stars and the sequel 3 stars!! I have not seen the 2nd Gremlins movie...but is it really a 3 star movie????? :makepoint:

They're both three star movies :sumo:

I totally agree with you, sometimes I think they let a room full of monkeys push buttons at random to arrive at their ratings.

When I saw they gave Shawshank Redemption 2 stars I knew it had to be monkeys.

Oh, and the monkeys gave the new Superman movie 3 1/2 stars doh!

Sorry Gav. We were not being sensitive to your "top movies" list.

By the way, did you finally get the entire cast of "Warriors of Virtue" to sign that poster you said would be a dream come true? :insane:

By the way, did you finally get the entire cast of "Warriors of Virtue" to sign that poster you said would be a dream come true? :insane:

I went to the cinema three times to see Gremlins 2. Loved it when I was a kid :blush:

I went to the cinema three times to see Gremlins 2. Loved it when I was a kid :blush:

Ya, but was it as good as The Matrix??? (tsk)

The Matrix was my first-ever DVD as after seeing the first movie I was blown away.

But no disrespect meant to the Gremlins franchise. I did enjoy the first movie. Especially with Keye Luke as Mr. Wing - one of my favorite actors from the Kung Fu series.

He was 35 when he went to see it lol

The Matrix was my first-ever DVD as after seeing the first movie I was blown away.

But no disrespect meant to the Gremlins franchise. I did enjoy the first movie. Especially with Keye Luke as Mr. Wing - one of my favorite actors from the Kung Fu series.

The Matrix was my first-ever DVD I bought also.

My first DVD was Yentl

:jokealert:

Christmas 2000 - Wife to be gives me a DVD player and the Matrix. The movie blew my mind. (I didn't see it in theaters because I thought the preview made it look like it would suck.) I've seen over 20,000 movies, and this one tops my list.

As for the ratings, I think they roll a four sided die and fill it in. They guide I used to get seemed to steal them directly from Leonard Maltin's book, but now I see the same movies with different ratings, so I don't know what is going on.

Christmas 2000 - Wife to be gives me a DVD player and the Matrix. The movie blew my mind. (I didn't see it in theaters because I thought the preview made it look like it would suck.) I've seen over 20,000 movies, and this one tops my list.

As for the ratings, I think they roll a four sided die and fill it in. They guide I used to get seemed to steal them directly from Leonard Maltin's book, but now I see the same movies with different ratings, so I don't know what is going on.

Im going with the monkey theory :screwy:

Ok.

I'm gonna go out on a limb....

But the Matrix is SO revolutionary, SO cutting edge, SO ahead of it's time, I believe that it can correctly be called "In the Top 5" most important movies in the 90's, and probably the first real film of the 21st century....

Who's with me?

Ok.

I'm gonna go out on a limb....

But the Matrix is SO revolutionary, SO cutting edge, SO ahead of it's time, I believe that it can correctly be called "In the Top 5" most important movies in the 90's, and probably the first real film of the 21st century....

Who's with me?

Top 5 in the 90s...I will 2nd that (thumbs u

Honestly, I have a hard time not calling Matrix THE most important film of the 1990's, T2 be damned. As far as craft and overall contribution to film goes, no other movie from the 1990's even comes close. It is, in the fields of cinematography and F/X, the film against which all sci-fi, action, F/X laden films after it have been judged. As important as Star Wars was to a generation, Matrix was all that, and more. It was most definitely the Citizen Kane of the 90's. I defy anyone to reason out another film that not only took the F/X industry forward by such leaps and bounds, but also was as thematically tight, as plot tight, as paced, as well crafted a film......even Keanu Reeves aside....as Matrix was, that came out in the 1990's. Name any other film of the decade that had such an impact on not only pop culture, but the film industry as well. Certainly not Titanic, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, or a whole host of other films up against it.

The problem with :Reloaded and :Revolutions was that they were judged against their predecessor, and against that, they stood no chance, outside of being as likewise innovative, which simply wasn't possible.

Anybody else come up with a decent challenger, complete with solid reasoning?

All I know is, I don't trust printed "star ratings." The big movie guide that Blockbuster sells has Fight Club as one of their "turkeys," and the review given is more of a true opinion, instead of any real facts. If they rated the movie on technical merit, that's one thing, but with this, quoted from the book:

This appalling, grotesque, and interminable endurance test is fairy-tale fiction for serial killers, imbeciles who succumb to road rage, and frustrated white guys: all the who seek excuses to justify their increasingly bad behaviour and hair-trigger tempers

- it only makes me think not only did this person NOT "get it," but this review should have been thrown out and someone else could try. I don't have any problem with someone not liking something, but when the point is missed entirely and the reviewer resorts to vitriol and contempt, that's not valid as a "review."

/rant

-slym