• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am gettin' mighty sick of this!! RANT AHEAD

311 posts in this topic

You paid $270.00 + shipping to cgc, grading fees, and return shipping to find the book a 6.0??? Holy Krap!! :o

You need to tighten up the grading skills. But I am with you, that is some BS! I would have called already and had words.

If anybody knows the key to Harley's grading here is the label from the mylar.

It sure wasn't priced as a 6.0.

There is not much GPA data on this book but I feel that the $270 is about what you should expect to pay for a CGC 9.2.

Given Harley's raw pricing and your desire to own CGC graded books, here's a suggestion: pick out some books and hand them to Harley and ask him if he would give you an opinion on how they would do at CGC. A cursory examination would have eliminated the Thor.

Or, your original solution, buying only graded books, seems fine with me as well. It avoids a lot of hassle and doubt. Given Harley's raw pricing there is no room for error. CGC 9.0s have sold recently for under $100.

I would gladly pay $270 for a 9.4 for anyone who wants to unload one. :angel:

I believe the last 9.2 sold for a little over $300

Yeah, I changed my post, the GPA data is scattershot.

You paid $270.00 + shipping to cgc, grading fees, and return shipping to find the book a 6.0??? Holy Krap!! :o

You need to tighten up the grading skills. But I am with you, that is some BS! I would have called already and had words.

:sumo:

If anybody knows the key to Harley's grading here is the label from the mylar.

It sure wasn't priced as a 6.0.

I'm not going back through 30 pages but, didn't you say that you were not going to contact Harley about a possible refund? If this is the case, why does his codes matter to you? It sounds to me that you won't be purchasing anymore books from him.

purchased books with restoration as late as 2005

I am cunfused, do you mean it was as early as 05 you bought from this person, or that 05 was the last time?

It doesn't really matter though because you already stated you didn't bring this up so others might not go through the same thing you did. Which really confuses me to be honest with you.

But I will respect your right to do so and leave it alone

night.

Purchased many books in the 80s. 05 was the last time and the one book I sent in from that batch was restored as well.

Fair enough, I have been told it was a totally different hobby back then regarding what was "acceptable" But even if the resto was considered acceptable at the time, it was still restoration and should have been sold as such or else the dealer was flat out scamming you(unless he really didnt know, which I doubt seriously) So I gotta ask why you are not more then a little mad now at his response.

I guess I didnt leave it alone. :eek:

I've been collecting since 1986 and I don't ever recall any serious person thinking restoration was "acceptable." Color touch, tear seals, aqueous color cleaning etc. were all treatments that required disclosure and that were expected to sell for a discount to an item in similar condition but without restoration. I attended my first restoration seminar at Con in 1987.

Through the years there have certainly been sellers of restored comics who attempted to promote minimal discounts for restored books. They would occasionally be successful and the inevitable result was a surge in the number of restored copies with a subsequent fall in value. It is, however, fair to say that the PLOD created more awareness of restored books and did, in the early days of CGC, cause a dramatic drop in price. There has been some recovery since then but generally it does not appear to be where it was pre-CGC in the GA market.

Harley is a chronic over grader. Two primary lessons to be learned from this thread is to try and educate yourself as best you can in the area of grading and never rely on Harley's opinion of grade. Ever.

Harley is a chronic over grader. Two primary lessons to be learned from this thread is to try and educate yourself as best you can in the area of grading and never rely on Harley's opinion of grade. Ever.
I like people who are blunt (thumbs u