• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staples replaced question

10 posts in this topic

Hi - I cracked a CGC case open a few years ago for a Universal Blue label 5.0 Brave and the Bold #28 and noticed the staples were very rusty. I decided to replace the staples because I didn't want it to spread to the paper.

I used some staples from another worthless comic from the same time frame ie early 1960's as OS Grading Guide says staple replacement is allowed for books up to fine, and vintage staples for books up to near mint.

Now, I've resubmitted the book to CGC and it came back as 5.0 still but Qualified label with "Staples Replaced" on the label.

Am I correct in thinking that the comic is now worth less than it was worth before because of the Qualified label or does this only apply to Restored labels ?

Was I correct in replacing the staples and preventing further damage ?

Or should I have left it alone and passed it on to someone else rusty staples and all ?

It just doesn't seem right somehow if it's worth less than a blue label equivalent. I would appreciate your opinions/thoughts.

Thanks.

I think you were correct to replace the staples and yes that does receive a GLOD and will adversely affect the book's value.

However, I think staple replacement should receive a blue label, but that's just my opinion. It should be one those CGC "discretions" like a small amount of glue on the spine or small amount of color touch that still gets a blue label on certain GA books.

Hi - I cracked a CGC case open a few years ago for a Universal Blue label 5.0 Brave and the Bold #28 and noticed the staples were very rusty. I decided to replace the staples because I didn't want it to spread to the paper.

I used some staples from another worthless comic from the same time frame ie early 1960's as OS Grading Guide says staple replacement is allowed for books up to fine, and vintage staples for books up to near mint.

Now, I've resubmitted the book to CGC and it came back as 5.0 still but Qualified label with "Staples Replaced" on the label.

Am I correct in thinking that the comic is now worth less than it was worth before because of the Qualified label or does this only apply to Restored labels ?

Unfortunately, yes..it's devalued.

Was I correct in replacing the staples and preventing further damage ?

imho yes, rusty staples can still cause damage especially if not stored properly.

Or should I have left it alone and passed it on to someone else rusty staples and all ? All depends on the buyer, if they appreciated the rusty staples were replaced then all is well, while others will now look at the book like it has cooties

It just doesn't seem right somehow if it's worth less than a blue label equivalent. I would appreciate your opinions/thoughts.

Well, yes and no. While you did probably help the books longevity by replacing the staples, it is now no longer original,and to most collectors this is a HUGE deal

Thanks.

Dave,

I think you were right to replace the staples, especially considering the book we're talking about. More power to you, fella. (thumbs u

However, the GLOD label is probably the correct one. IMHO, this is one of those procedures that rates as conservation, rather than restoration, but it will unfortunately devalue the book when selling on.

However, if you're not selling it on, you've just given it a large lease of life. :applause:

This discrepancy between OSPG and CGC standards is the annoying part about this, although I can understand the CGC thought process in wanting to maintain consistency for this alteration.

hm i think it should have graded a bit higher with a GLOD. the rusty staples had to bring the grade down a point or two so if no damage was caused during the staple replacement I would have expected a 5.5 or 6.0 with the green label. are you thinking of selling the book?

hm i think it should have graded a bit higher with a GLOD. the rusty staples had to bring the grade down a point or two so if no damage was caused during the staple replacement I would have expected a 5.5 or 6.0 with the green label. are you thinking of selling the book?

I really don't think the staples had an effect on the original grade.

I was planning on selling, but now I don't think I'd even get back what I paid for it so will probably keep it.

I've got a copy of ASM 9 that I bought in really nice shape from a board member but it had no staples in it. SO, I took some vintage staples and replaced it. And I have to agree with prev. remarks--OS has this listed as acceptable and only acts as a defect in higher grades, and while I appreciate CGCs effect on the comic grading as a whole, this is one minor area I would like to see changed.

You made the right move in the bigger picture of that book's longevity.