• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those DAMN Overstreet Market Reports

84 posts in this topic

rantrant

Every year I buy the thing, and every year I read through the market reports.

And then I realise that I read the exact same thing the year before, and the year before that, and the year before,etc. It's like I have temporary Alzeimers and I've forgotten that this same s H i t appeared last year.

Joe Collector had a bumper year with High Grade Silver, but Golden Age was really slow. (Except Actions and Detectives.)

Jim Bob, from 'Jim Bob's Comics', had a great year with low grade everything, but couldn't sell any High Grade Silver Marvels. (Except Actions and Detectives.)

Frank, from "Friendly Franks', couldn't sell anything other than Funny Animal comics, and had a slow year all round. (Except Actions and Detectives.)

Gary, owner of HighGrade Auctions, made a farkin' mint from everything and can't believe there's such a thing as an economic down turn. (Even Actions and Detectives)

And lastly... there's Mike, from 'High As a Kite Kollectibles', who sold everything from every age in every grade to everyone in the world! (Except Actions and Detectives.)

Why am I reading this?

To come to the conclusion that there is no consistency?

Some love Ebay, others hate it.

Some had a bumper year, others didn't.

Moderns were on fire/Moderns should be set on fire.

High Grade moved/High grade went backwards.

End of rantrant

Funny, this is year #3 for me and I've quickly realized how I really don't need to continue to purchase this guide. It's 6-9 months behind when the thing is printed and only goes to 9.2?!? I don't think I'll be getting one next year...

I was at the bookstore yesterday with the Overstreet in one hand and the new Harry Dresden hardback novel in the other and $25 in my pocket.

It took about 3 seconds to make a decision.

I should be through with the Dresden book sometime tomorrow. (thumbs u

Do you collect Actions and Detectives? (shrug)

Every market reports seems to mention that Goldern Age Action and Detectives are always the exception!

ie. "Golden Age Timely's were slow, but those Actions and Detectives flew out the door!"

One of the reasons I no longer do a market report is that, however hard I tried, they always came out sounding self serving. The hot sellers always just happened to be the stuff that I just got in a collection. Slow sellers were always books that I never got in a collection (they were slow sellers because I didn't have any to sell).

But if I had done one this year Actions and Detectives would definitely be HOT HOT HOT!

Oops! Forgot that some of you guys actually submitted market reports!

:blush:

Your market reports were great! (Especially if you're a lawyer!),

One of the reasons I no longer do a market report is that, however hard I tried, they always came out sounding self serving. The hot sellers always just happened to be the stuff that I just got in a collection. Slow sellers were always books that I never got in a collection (they were slow sellers because I didn't have any to sell).

But if I had done one this year Actions and Detectives would definitely be HOT HOT HOT!

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

"As the U. S. economy continued in its downward spiral from 2007. . . . "

One of the reasons I no longer do a market report is that, however hard I tried, they always came out sounding self serving. -- MrBedrock
Well stated, thank you.

I like to read them. You have to take them with a grain of salt, but they're interesting nonetheless. Probably the most annoying thing to me are the ones that list prices for high grade keys. Maybe that is useful to some collectors, but not to me.

Actually, I'm not interested in the reports of prices realized at all, but rather news about supply. Are the things that I'm interested in buying scarce or plentiful? How many new collections are being found? Are collections coming to the market from old-timers passing away? That kind of stuff helps me make buying choices. If something seems to be in good supply then I'm more likely to hold off for a deal.

I use the guide everyday, either looking up information or checking prices. I realize the prices aren't exact, but they give me quick ball park figures to start working from.

As I read through Doug Sulipa's report I thought to myself, "why can't they all be this detailed?"

Some of them are so short and so lacking in any useful details I wondered why they even bothered to write them.