• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those DAMN Overstreet Market Reports

84 posts in this topic

Would be somewhat interesting to glean the actual sales information for the OSPG, say over the last 5 years. I would think the advancing 'tech on hand' information train, would eventually start to beat up this print item. I mean, I can be walking down 5th ave, get an instant itch for information, and attain just about any material I need regarding our hobby,... on my PHONE!

It's only a matter of time, an IF not a WHEN, the 'guide' will cease and desist...

Golden Age Timely's were slow, but those Actions and Detectives flew out the door!"

they do sell well though. generally better than their Superman and Batman counterparts. i can't remember a time when the superhero timelys were slow though. not enough supply.

Instead of "assuming" that they are at least valued at cover price? When some books sell for ten for a dollar, then how can each have a value of $2.95?

This is really not a big deal for me. Anyone buying the guide can figure this out and they disclaim this in the beginning of the book. Rather than wasting time for values on these (and doing silly things like breaking out some giant size that has no additional value and making it 50 cents more) they should simply list no value and say in the beginning that means cover price or less. Doing so would free up a few pages of listings, allow more room for more individual books to be broken out, allow some more listings of oddball titles**** and maybe allow for some more content in the OPG.

**** what I find perplexing is the stuff not listed in OPG. a lot of the 80s and 90s indies aren't. forget about 60's and 70's undergrounds. what about some mainstream british stuff that has value over here too? At least in the OPG I have in my office (a couple of years old), none of the Razor books are listed. there are a heck of a lot of those out there and a couple of issues are actually collectible. i understand that some of this has no value, but so does plenty of other stuff in OPG. i wouldn't mind at least seeing a listing saying the book is worth cover or less, particularly on an oddball book that might not have a recent ebay sales history.

I quit buying price guides about 6 years ago. Useless and boring, except as a reference to use to find out where certain books are in the Gerber Books. (making an old Overstreet good enough for a very long time).

With he internet, I can find out what books are actually selling for RIGHT NOW. Not what they did half a year or a year ago.

Isn't it about time that price guides actually say that certain books aren't "valued" at a dime or even a nickel in many cases? Instead of "assuming" that they are at least valued at cover price? When some books sell for ten for a dollar, then how can each have a value of $2.95?

Oh, by the way. "Joe Collector" only has Bronze Age books I believe.

(referring to your original post, and yes, I know what you meant) :)

Beleive it or not, my referring to Joe Collector was not meant to refer to an actual person or board member. My intention was to use an 'everyman' name. Similar to what we Australian's use to refer to anybody: Joe Blow. American's use 'your average Joe', do they not?

Ha Ha. I knew exactly what you meant. I was making a joke. :)

"Instead of "assuming" that they are at least valued at cover price? When some books sell for ten for a dollar, then how can each have a value of $2.95?"

"This is really not a big deal for me. Anyone buying the guide can figure this out and they disclaim this in the beginning of the book."

You do have a point. However, "some" who are not collectors and who are trying to sell their sons or brothers collection, can't seem to figure it out. "They" are not going to read the guide other than look up the values. They believe that if Overstreet says it is worth $5.95, then they should be able to sell it for close to that. Or at least half.

The thing is, that when the price guide is in the sellers favor, it is consulted. When it is not, it is desregarded. It also goes in the other direction as well. Making the price guides simply what they are labeled. "Guides".

So, those that understand this (like us) have no problem with price guides. It is when those that are not as informed as we are, get ahold of a price guide, that "feelings" get hurt.

These boards and Ebay, are the best resource for determining the actul going rate of just about any comic book. Except those from collections like esquirecomics, whereupon there may not be any other copies or sales data available. Then anything can happen.

Its just a guide, you are the true judge of the value of a comic. A comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I could care less what someone tells me its worth it is still only as valuable to me as I am willing to spend on it.

That being said I still enjoy reading through the OS. I enjoy reading other collectors opinons and ideas, it don't mean I have to share the same ideas. I also enjoy the cover gallery and the first app and key issues list.

I will admit, I didn't spend as much time on my report this past year, as I am already putting into it for this year...

when I read them, I really enjoy the realized or buy/sell prices...I found that gave me a "truer" read on what books are selling for... so, when I did my little report this year, I included some (good and bad)...

this year, I have already created a little notebook with market report thoughts...and this next's years will still include some sales figures, but more "analysis" from my perspective

I bought my first guide in the late 70's. I keep buying, and usually cut all

the ads from the front and back and just retape the cover back onto the

actual database.

I have always read the reports, and read the reports when there was

the Overstreet Monthly. If nothing else, it gave me insight into which

advisors/dealers had a basic positive or negative attitude towards things.

Mr. Bedrock, to me, of course I AM biased, has always been a positive

individual. As a matter of fact, the more beer he consumes, the more

positive he becomes..[tweek].

Some unnamed, start positive, but then start complaining and griping

pizzing, and moaning. And yes, seems tecs and actions always move

swiftly. Duh. But after years of reading reports by long term advisors,

you can get a general idea of whether you're getting the straight stuff,

or being oafalized. To the dozen or so advisors on this board, keep up

the good work.

That's what I buy it for. If you do that next time, send them to me. I'll even send you a couple of bucks for them, to help with the rising cost of the OA.

How I would run the printing and future of the guide.

1. Stop wasting Trees

2. Make the whole guide as the majority of the way to view it on-line and charge a fixed premium.

3. Send out the bound book copy to the dealers who request it.

4. Make the bound book available to people only if they order it from the website

5. Have the option for any of OSPG advisors to upload monthly market reports for viewing of anyone who bought the guide on-line.

6. Advertisements can be done on line as other sites use them.

7. Get someone that can accurately determine the correct market value of modern books for god sake in put them in the guide.

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

"As the U. S. economy continued in its downward spiral from 2007. . . . "

That is very nice of you to have singled me out, but I think my dual college and then law degree and the fact of how much my portfolio dropped in value from 2007 to 2008 pretty much qualified me to make a generic statement such as above without having been awarded an economic degree. :makepoint:

So sorry you found my comment annoying. zzz

I was attempting to be discreet by not tagging your name with the quotation. However, I fully anticipated the hubris to shine brightly -- you didn't disappoint.

Go easy. He was only responding to being singled out. It doesn't take any degree to know the economy has been poor since early '08, and anyone is just to start with that knid of statement.

How I would run the printing and future of the guide.

1. Stop wasting Trees

2. Make the whole guide as the majority of the way to view it on-line and charge a fixed premium.

3. Send out the bound book copy to the dealers who request it.

4. Make the bound book available to people only if they order it from the website

5. Have the option for any of OSPG advisors to upload monthly market reports for viewing of anyone who bought the guide on-line.

6. Advertisements can be done on line as other sites use them.

7. Get someone that can accurately determine the correct market value of modern books for god sake in put them in the guide.

except for #3 & 4, isn't that what gpa does? i don't know myself because i'm not on the site (before the flaming, i want to qualify that i have NEVER asked anyone what the gpa was on a book).

j

except for #3 & 4, isn't that what gpa does? i don't know myself because i'm not on the site (before the flaming, i want to qualify that i have NEVER asked anyone what the gpa was on a book).

j

OSPG= Raw

GPA= CGC