• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sad that CGC's new bronze pricing will turn even 9.8's into $$ losers

86 posts in this topic

I picked up this nice 9.8 Batman reprint from 1977 for a winning bid of only $26 on ebay. I find it kind of sad and pathetic that this book will soon be a losing proposition for the seller. Imagine paying CGC $30 to slab it, get the coveted 9.8, and then sell it for $26 on ebay and lose $4 on the deal (and also lose a perfect copy of the comic in the deal).

What incentive will be left for people to send books like this to CGC? Imagine getting a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 and losing even more money on the deal. The whole situation sux and is going to lead to books like this being left unslabbed.

8.jpg

You forgot to add in shipping and insurance, so it would be more then a $4 loss.

no, I am paying $8 shipping on top of the $26 bid.

I bid $50 and thought I might lose the book at that price, and I was kind of shocked it went for only $26.

Great for me, but if sellers get burned too many times, nobody will slab late bronze books unless they are ASM, x-men or key books

You forgot to add in shipping and insurance, so it would be more then a $4 loss.

I bid $50 and thought I might lose the book at that price, and I was kind of shocked it went for only $26.

Great for me, but if sellers get burned too many times, nobody will slab late bronze books unless they are ASM, x-men or key books

you are missing the point

seller has shipping fees to and from cgc

grading fee

ebay final value fee

paypal fee

seller lost a lot more than $4 and the comic

I picked up this nice 9.8 Batman reprint from 1977 for a winning bid of only $26 on ebay. I find it kind of sad and pathetic that this book will soon be a losing proposition for the seller. Imagine paying CGC $30 to slab it, get the coveted 9.8, and then sell it for $26 on ebay and lose $4 on the deal (and also lose a perfect copy of the comic in the deal).

What incentive will be left for people to send books like this to CGC? Imagine getting a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 and losing even more money on the deal. The whole situation sux and is going to lead to books like this being left unslabbed.

8.jpg

This is a very common reprint. Why anyone would slab it in the first place is a mystery to me.

This is a very common reprint. Why anyone would slab it in the first place is a mystery to me.

Every book from 1977 is "common" except maybe Cerebus #1

But 9.8's from 1977 are a little less common.

If anyone wants to sell me more comics from 1977 in 9.8 for $26 because they are "common" I will be hapy to buy them. They don't even have to be Batman books.

If anyone wants to sell me more comics from 1977 in 9.8 for $26 because they are "common" I will be hapy to buy them. They don't even have to be Batman books.

How many common reprints from 1977 do you want in 9.8?

I repeat, it's a common reprint. Why would anyone want it at a premium - in any grade?

I repeat, it's a common reprint. Why would anyone want it at a premium - in any grade?

^^

It's no different than a not-in-demand 9.8 modern that sells for $20-25 on ebay - for the vast majority of comic books, it's pointless to slab them for re-sale purposes because people have zero interest in collecting slabbed copies of those books.

Just because a book is in a slab, doesn't mean it's automatically worth any sort of premium - which I personally have no problem whatsoever with.

Also - why would the grading fee for this book be $30? It's from 1977, so it could have been submitted under the modern tier for $16.

Also - why would the grading fee for this book be $30? It's from 1977, so it could have been submitted under the modern tier for $16.

That's the point he is trying to say. Come May 1st the modern tier will be 1980. A lot of people have stated that this will eliminate a lot of comics from this time period being slabbed. I think this example is a bad one. I would of shown a more mainstream non-reprint comic as an example.

Edit: Here is a much better example. Here we have a 9.8 Spectacular Spider-man #3 from 1977. It sold for $37.77 plus $9 shipping. What are the odds that a comic like this will be slabbed again? My guess is not too often. Is it really worth the risk so someone can get a $3 profit at best?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTACULAR-SPIDER-MAN-3-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1977_W0QQitemZ230336788287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230336788287&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Edit: Here is a much better example. Here we have a 9.8 Spectacular Spider-man #3 from 1977. It sold for less than $40 plus $9 shipping. What are the odds that a comic like this will be slabbed again? My guess is not too often. Is it really worth the risk so someone can get a $5 profit at best?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTACULAR-SPIDER-MAN-3-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1977_W0QQitemZ230336788287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230336788287&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

A speculation if you will

Let's assume you're correct and the new pricing structure results in very few Spec Spidey 3's submitted and slabbed as 9.8.

Eventually, those existing CGC 9.8s floating around in the market will begin to dry up. They won't be readily replaced by new ones.

That will drive up demand and in turn will drive up prices.

As people start to pay higher prices for Spec Spidey 3 CGC 9.8, people will again begin to submit their raw copies. Thus, copies will once again be available.

This is totally plausible to me.

Edit: Here is a much better example. Here we have a 9.8 Spectacular Spider-man #3 from 1977. It sold for less than $40 plus $9 shipping. What are the odds that a comic like this will be slabbed again? My guess is not too often. Is it really worth the risk so someone can get a $5 profit at best?

A speculation if you will

Let's assume you're correct and the new pricing structure results in very few Spec Spidey 3's submitted and slabbed as 9.8.

Eventually, those existing CGC 9.8s floating around in the market will begin to dry up. They won't be readily replaced by new ones.

That will drive up demand and in turn will drive up prices.

As people start to pay higher prices for Spec Spidey 3 CGC 9.8, people will again begin to submit their raw copies. Thus, copies will once again be available.

This is totally plausible to me.

Theory and reality are two different things. Your statement is based on two different things. That the market will get new collectors, and two that those new collectors will be willing shell out more money to get this. Will see if this holds true or not. Should be interesting to see what happens in the months and years ahead.

Aren`t 90 percent of books slabbed or unslabbed 1980`s and up worthless?

Isn't that the shame? There are some gems (the 10% you are estimating, although I think it is a little higher), but the bulk sell for very little compared to other periods.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts CGC's volume of submittals.

Personally, I'm kind of pysched about it.

The reality is that tons of raw 9.4ish books are being pressed and slabbed in the hopes of getting 9.6's and 9.8's. Some sell for premiums, some don't. What this does, though, is make my raw collection worth less, and removes some of the nicest raw books from the market. Hopefully, there's less incentive to do this for non-keys if submitters have to pay real prices.