• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sad that CGC's new bronze pricing will turn even 9.8's into $$ losers

86 posts in this topic

Aren`t 90 percent of books slabbed or unslabbed 1980`s and up worthless?

Isn't that the shame? There are some gems (the 10% you are estimating, although I think it is a little higher), but the bulk sell for very little compared to other periods.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts CGC's volume of submittals.

Most of the best comics ever written or drawn I say were in the 1980 to 1990 range, unfortunately not many were left unbagged or unboarded, leaving to lots of high grade in the period. ;):)

All I have to say is if you take an already worthless book and put it in a 9.8 holder, it is still a worthless book encased in plastic :)

Some people are just slab happy

I prefer raw books myself. Been collecting them long before CGC came aboard.

Course..it is nice to have a HG silver-age or older key slabbed that is worth big $$.

But the average books to me are a waste of time being slabbed. Why on earth slab a book that isn't even worth the cost of slabbing itself. I've seen so many slabbed books sell at Ebay for under $10 it's rediculous. I just don't get it.

Some people are just slab happy

I prefer raw books myself. Been collecting them long before CGC came aboard.

Course..it is nice to have a HG silver-age or older key slabbed that is worth big $$.

But the average books to me are a waste of time being slabbed. Why on earth slab a book that isn't even worth the cost of slabbing itself. I've seen so many slabbed books sell at Ebay for under $10 it's rediculous. I just don't get it.

Three reasons:

1.) As evidenced by the previous thread, some people can't grade.

2.) Some folks have their books graded for sentimental reasons.

3.) People that can grade, make mistakes from time to time.

Most of the best comics ever written or drawn I say were in the 1980 to 1990 range, unfortunately not many were left unbagged or unboarded, leaving to lots of high grade in the period. ;):)

You are so right!

But that's only part of it. The real reason why valuation hasn't followed the GA, SA and BA trends is because adults were the main buyers in the mid-80's (onwards it just get worse) and since we all have copies, there's no "new blood" to buy our back issues from us.

I still think early-80's stuff has a chance to appreciate in the future, on the usual declining basis from Bronze.

Why on earth slab a book that isn't even worth the cost of slabbing itself. I've seen so many slabbed books sell at Ebay for under $10 it's rediculous. I just don't get it.

I think it's probably a fair bet that most of the comics CGC grades will not recoup slabbing expenses. Just look at the hoards of 9.6 and below moderns, midgrade bronze and earlier on ebay. Even 9.8 moderns is no assurance that slabbing will garner any margin after slabbing and the exorbitant shipping fees.

And this makes me laugh when I see people defending the change in the modern tier because "people are making big bucks" off some books from this era... like somehow CGC should get a "piece of the pie." Using the same rationale, perhaps they should consider lowering prices on books where the submitter doesn't see any appreciation in value due to the slab.

;)

And this makes me laugh when I see people defending the change in the modern tier because "people are making big bucks" off some books from this era... like somehow CGC should get a "piece of the pie." Using the same rationale, perhaps they should consider lowering prices on books where the submitter doesn't see any appreciation in value due to the slab.

;)

I think CGC can charge what they want...it's their business...and it would appear that they are not exactly printing money at Sarasota, but are at least turning a profit and remaining a solid business.

However, I do wonder whether, long-term, the model actually works? As more and more GA/SA/BA gets slabbed, two things happen. One, there are less raw books to slab in the future and two, people get more choosy with what they submit. Initially, we saw unreal prices on 8.5s and 9.0s, but now? Now a lot of them are in line with OS, if not a touch below with some of them.

I can see this leading to a diminishing of submissions and the market basically trading the same pre-slabbed books over and over again with a slow flow of new additions.

That would mean that the Modern market would be where CGC would have to make their coin and I accept that every week, there are more and more potential slabbing candidates released. However, a lot of people are now (finally) concluding that moderns aren't worth slabbing unless they are at least 9.8 and with the price hike, maybe not even then.

I don't know the answer, so I'll throw this out there...how many brand new coins are encased? You know the ones, common as muck, but in great shape? Is this a real money-maker in the coinee market? (shrug)

But that's only part of it. The real reason why valuation hasn't followed the GA, SA and BA trends is because adults were the main buyers in the mid-80's (onwards it just get worse) and since we all have copies, there's no "new blood" to buy our back issues from us.

I still think early-80's stuff has a chance to appreciate in the future, on the usual declining basis from Bronze.

I don't buy the "new blood" comment. Fact is the quality of mid-80's tuff onwards and especially 90's stuff what total krap, even I couldn't bring myself to buy most of the stuff. I see lots of kids in their 20's at the LCS these days. GA and SA stuff have the benefit of cutting edge stuff that was new and fresh. There hasn't been a fresh idea in this business for the last 20 years. I feel sorry for kids that grew up collecting during the 90's.

That would mean that the Modern market would be where CGC would have to make their coin and I accept that every week, there are more and more potential slabbing candidates released. However, a lot of people are now (finally) concluding that moderns aren't worth slabbing unless they are at least 9.8 and with the price hike, maybe not even then.

The modern tier saw a price hike of $1 - do you really think that's going to make any sort of difference in people's slabbing habits?

The modern tier saw a price hike of $1 - do you really think that's going to make any sort of difference in people's slabbing habits?

It's more like a $2 price hike, I see no discount anymore for submissions of more than 10 ($16.00, $15.00 for subs of more than ten)

I think it's probably a fair bet that most of the comics CGC grades will not recoup slabbing expenses.

Zip,

You are one of the most consistently solid posters around here. I must, however, ask you whether you honestly believe this or are you trying to get a rise out of people? It was buried in a longer post, but this is a serious statement that you have posited.

Do you mean that the average seller will not be able to sell an accurately graded raw copy for what the slabbed copy sells for on GPA minus slabbing fees? If so, I agree with you.

Or do you mean that "most" of the books currently in slabs could be sold for enough money raw that the slabbing costs are extraneous?

Or am I just being thick?

I think it's probably a fair bet that most of the comics CGC grades will not recoup slabbing expenses.

Zip,

You are one of the most consistently solid posters around here. I must, however, ask you whether you honestly believe this or are you trying to get a rise out of people? It was buried in a longer post, but this is a serious statement that you have posited.

Do you mean that the average seller will not be able to sell an accurately graded raw copy for what the slabbed copy sells for on GPA minus slabbing fees? If so, I agree with you.

Or do you mean that "most" of the books currently in slabs could be sold for enough money raw that the slabbing costs are extraneous?

I think what he's trying to say is that the post-slabbing sale price of a Modern, in most cases, will not cover the cost of the raw book + slabbing fees + postage to/from Sarasota.

Which I tend to agree with, if the 'most' is emphasised. (thumbs u

Zip,

I think what he's trying to say is that the post-slabbing sale price of a Modern, in most cases, will not cover the cost of the raw book + slabbing fees + postage to/from Sarasota.

Which I tend to agree with, if the 'most' is emphasised. (thumbs u

I guess I can see that. Most of the books that I have slabbed from that era I bought very cheaply, a long time ago. After I got my initial CGC spanking related to non-color breaking thumb dents :cry: , most of them have been economical for me from the standpoint that I would have paid far more for an equivalent 9.4-9.8 slabbed book than I paid by buying the book cheap and paying to slab it myself.

I guess where the rubber meets the road is with the fact that Zip is talking about "most" late Bronze books - Nova 19, PPTSSM 41, Cap 231 etc. whereas I have normally been slabbing #1s and first appearances.

I guess where the rubber meets the road is with the fact that Zip is talking about "most" late Bronze books - Nova 19, PPTSSM 41, Cap 231 etc. whereas I have normally been slabbing #1s and first appearances.

(thumbs u

I think those books will still work out, but the rest? hm

Completists will still slab those books, and no, they won't always hit the 9.8 mark all the time either.