• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams versus Bernie Wrightson

211 posts in this topic

....Grell - very good, but not consistent.

Do people really like Grell? He always seemed like a watered-down Adams wannabe to me.

And nice to see all the people coming out against Ditko. I always felt his art was awkward and boring, and I could never understand why people who's opinions I respected thought so highly of him. I'm not saying ALL his work was terrible, but...

I agree with your take on Grell... to me, he had a similiar style to Adams - which is not a bad thing. My take on Grell, is that he has cleaner lines, and an almost engineer or architecht's style of preciseness to his drawings. Good stuff!

Grell also created two characters that lasted over 100 issues each Warlord and Jon Sable, if your gonna talk watered-down Adams wannabe then Bill Sienkiewicz is your man

if your gonna talk watered-down Adams wannabe then Bill Sienkiewicz is your man

Really? I've never made that connection but then again I wasn't actively collecting comics when he broke in...

Jim

Yeah, he copied the Adams style (very well) in the beginning, but then he morphed into one of the most innovate artists of the 1980's

Yes, sometimes it looked like he was on a really bad acid trip. But it was always visualy striking and dramatic.

You could see him making the transition every month in the Moon Knight series.

Compare the cover of Moon Knight #1 to #38 the last issue and see the change in style.

moonknight1.jpg

cb23_12.JPG

I give him credit for trying to break out of the mold and create something dramatic. His Elektra was interesting to say the least.

sienkiewicz_elektra.jpg

Really? I've never made that connection but then again I wasn't actively collecting comics when he broke in...

Jim

Rather like BWS apeing Kirby, but then finding his own style, Sienkiewicz's run on Moon Knight was even closer to Adams than Grell's efforts. Even though it was blatent, it was actually fairly decent work.

Given what he put out once he'd 'found his muse', I think I'd prefer the Adams rip-offs. doh!

Yeah, he copied the Adams style (very well) in the beginning, but then he morphed into one of the most innovate artists of the 1980's

Yes, sometimes it looked like he was on a really bad acid trip. But it was always visualy striking and dramatic.

Compare the cover of Moon Knight #1 to #38 the last issue and see the change in style.

cb23_12.JPG

:gossip: #38 was Mike Kaluta

:pullhair:

ok, but I still remember his style on the moom knight title around issues #22 to #28.

The interior art started to look different compared to the stuff in the early issues. There were more stark black and white images, even of the covers.

This was a precurser to his crazy style on Elektra and other projects.

cb23_12.JPG

lol