• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams versus Bernie Wrightson

211 posts in this topic

It seems to me that Adams gets a disproportional amount of "love" from collectors versus Wrightson.

These guys were both a huge force at DC in the late 60's to mid 70's era, without a doubt, the 2 best artists at DC in that era.

Maybe it's because Adams drew superheroes and Wrightson drew horror?

Don't get me wrong, I love Adams, but Wrighson deserves more "slab love" than he currently gets.

SwampThing1.jpg

DCSS4as-1.jpg

houseofsecrets103urjtc.jpg

ww0007.jpg

twistedtales2.jpg

Neal Adams stuff is very cool,but Wrightson is a (worship)[font:Arial Black]GOD![/font]

Adams revolutionized the way comics were drawn, but I always found Wrightson to have more striking covers. So I find in strange that Adams slabs are so highly coveted, whereas Wrighton gets 1/10th the love that Adams gets.

Maybe that will change one day and everyone will be seeking out all Wrightson slabs. But I doubt it.

Adams drew the characters everyone loves ......... Batman, Green Lantern, X-men, Avengers, Superman, etc.

Wrightson drew Swamp Thing and some weird ugly creatures.

Honestly, I wonder the same thing. I collect Adams covers but next will be Wrightson, I even have a few already.

It seems as though they each chose to draw different projects and that makes all the difference. What level of control each had in chosing is the better question. How did Neal get on Green Lantern? Did Bernie have a shot at it? Was Neal harder working or more persistant in getting better characters? Did Bernie push or was he more laid back?

In any career we have times when we can go forward, take a plunge or risk and try something new. Is that what happened here? Neal got GL/GA and Bernie got Swamp THing? One was a huge step forward, the other was just cool. Did someone at DC have a preference for one of them?

They are both great,, the pages of GL/GA that Neal drew and Bernie inked are some of the best I have ever seen. I think the better question is how one ended up doing "main stream characters" and one did horror one off stories.

(shrug)

As a Batman fan, I like Adams. But as an EC fan, Wrightson was the spritual successor of Graham Ingels.

My only problem is that most of the comics he worked on aren't comics I'm all that interested in reading.

Neal Adams stuff is very cool,but Wrightson is a (worship)[font:Arial Black]GOD![/font]

Adams revolutionized the way comics were drawn, but I always found Wrightson to have more striking covers. So I find in strange that Adams slabs are so highly coveted, whereas Wrighton gets 1/10th the love that Adams gets.

Maybe that will change one day and everyone will be seeking out all Wrightson slabs. But I doubt it.

Adams drew the characters everyone loves ......... Batman, Green Lantern, X-men, Avengers, Superman, etc.

Wrightson drew Swamp Thing and some weird ugly creatures.

I'm not sure what slabbed books have to do with it. But I think you answered your own question in your OP. I think if Wrightson had done more mainstream superhero stuff he would have as much support if not more then Adams.

I know for me if I could choose to have one of them do a piece of commissioned work to hang on a wall in my office, it would be Bernie.

I think if Wrightson had done more mainstream superhero stuff he would have as much support if not more then Adams.

Yep...that's the answer and Adams get the love rightfully so in my opinion. Comics is in alot of respects a nostalgia driven hobby. And Superheroes ruled the day for older collectors. Adams worked primarily in that genre, outside of horror covers and the occasional interior story, so he's thought of more fondly than the horror artists. Nothing against Wrightson but working in one specific genre hurt his recognition in the hobby and as a result he doesn't get the "love" Adams does...

Jim

I think if Wrightson had done more mainstream superhero stuff he would have as much support if not more then Adams.

Yep...that's the answer and Adams get the love rightfully so in my opinion. Comics is in alot of respects a nostalgia driven hobby. Adn Superheroes ruled the day for older collectors. Adams worked primarily in that genre, outside of covers and the occasional interior story, so he's thought of more fondly than the horror artists. Nothing against Wrightson but working in one specific genre hurt his recognition in the hobby and as a result he doesn't get the "love" Adams does...

Jim

This is true.

I am a Marvel collector & I've always enjoyed fantasy, horror, & sci-fi. So I lean toward Bernie.

On the technical side, my opinion is that Bernie is a superior draftsman.

Ahhh, one of RJ's CGC rejects that he then inserts into his own time capsule at a higher grade. I love those!

Although both used darkness to their advantage to enhance a story, Wrightson always seemed the more detailed artist to me. I'd catch things in his drawings after third, fourth, fifth time reviewing them that just amazed me how much detail was there.

But both are tops on my list.

Adams' work is more realistic, and more people are capable of appreciating realism because it's easy to recognize and evaluate. Wrightson's work is more impressionistic, more suggestive/moody than literal, which as an approach really lends itself well to supernatural material, but is a little bit harder to evaluate.

Both are outstanding artists, but as has been pointed out already, superhero stuff is simply more popular.

Consider:

Adams was part of Batman's revitalization in the 1970s and Batman is a top tier character.

Adams drew Green Lantern 76-89 (sans 88) which started the Bronze Age for DC.

And, as stated, Adams hugely influenced how comics were drawn.

v.

Wrightson wasn't involved in any seminal characters or books.

Wrightson drew lots more stuff than Adams so his work is more available.

Wrightson wasn't at the forefront of any big changes like Adams was.

Adams influence on comics is more significant. However, as artists, they both kick *spoon*. I'd love to see more work of their caliber in comics today.

It seems to me that Adams gets a disproportional amount of "love" from collectors versus Wrightson.

These guys were both a huge force at DC in the late 60's to mid 70's era, without a doubt, the 2 best artists at DC in that era.

Maybe it's because Adams drew superheroes and Wrightson drew horror?

Don't get me wrong, I love Adams, but Wrighson deserves more "slab love" than he currently gets.

SwampThing1.jpg

DCSS4as-1.jpg

ww0007.jpg

twistedtales2.jpg

Sorry Wrightson isnt as good.