• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about submitting.. For board members.

38 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how the FMV % works, if I do have to pay extra for a book?

Pat - I think FMV only really comes into play on very high-dollar books. Besides, like some have said, getting that call will make you more than happy to pay the extra dough. It's going to substantially increase the dollar value of the book. (thumbs u

Are you saying I dont have any high dollar books Rich? :baiting:

Pat - I think FMV only really comes into play on very high-dollar books. Besides, like some have said, getting that call will make you more than happy to pay the extra dough. It's going to substantially increase the dollar value of the book. (thumbs u

If he's not, I am. :whistle:

Don't worry. When a book you sub grades high and brings it to a higher tier, you will get a phone call telling you so. And those are the best phone calls to get :)
Hmm. I sent in a bunch of Byrne X-Men. How do the figure out the new charge? Damnit, now I have to worry the bill is going to be more..

I've subbed a bunch of Byrne X-Men that came back 9.8s and worth considerably more than the $200 max for moderns. CGC has not asked me to bump to another tier. They have done it with the Value and Econ tiers when books come back higher, but never with the Moderns. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or what (shrug)

Don't worry. When a book you sub grades high and brings it to a higher tier, you will get a phone call telling you so. And those are the best phone calls to get :)
Hmm. I sent in a bunch of Byrne X-Men. How do the figure out the new charge? Damnit, now I have to worry the bill is going to be more..

I've subbed a bunch of Byrne X-Men that came back 9.8s and worth considerably more than the $200 max for moderns. CGC has not asked me to bump to another tier. They have done it with the Value and Econ tiers when books come back higher, but never with the Moderns. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or what (shrug)

They bumped my 9.8 X-men 101 to Express. :cry:

Now sean, I realise you love the scribbled on books. But should you REALLY be casting stones? I mean while your X-Force 1, and "ultra hot" NM 98 cgc 9.8's are VERY impressive.. Oh and the supa sweet savage dragon #1, also another HUGE book. All very important and possibly all crutches that hold up this hobby. I do have a few "decent" books as well.

That's allright. You just pruned it out of Watson's backside anyway . . .

Does that mean you get charged a $100.00 minimum now? I am pretty sure I read that on their site.

That's allright. You just pruned it out of Watson's backside anyway . . .

No wonder it was expressed, hazard fee.

Now sean, I realise you love the scribbled on books. But should you REALLY be casting stones? I mean while your X-Force 1, and "ultra hot" NM 98 cgc 9.8's are VERY impressive.. Oh and the supa sweet savage dragon #1, also another HUGE book. All very important and possibly all crutches that hold up this hobby. I do have a few "decent" books as well.

You poor misguided soul. You should check out my Registry some time. Or I'll send you some digital pics of the vault books. But this is not a big weenie contest, mostly I was just trying to get a rise out of you. And it worked.

Let's say you submit a Spidey #127 under the economy tier and hope it gets a 9.6. GPA on that book is around $200 in 9.6. So that's easily under the $250 maximum value for economy submissions. But let's say the book grades out at 9.8. And GPA for that book is closer to $800. In that case, you might get a call from CGC saying that they have to bump the submission to the standard tier. And you owe them the price difference between the submission the economy fee and the standard fee ($49-$29=$20).

In my experience, CGC hasn't been too hardcore about the bumps. The book probably has to be worth a good chunk more than the maximum in a tier. And if you do get that call, it's never a bad thing.

I got "The Call" on my last submission. I sent in 6 or 7 books. I had 3 coupons so, I placed the 3 most expensive books with them. I paid for Standard grading on the remaining books. One of them graded at a price well over 1K (Which would be fine because the coupons are good up to 4K) When she called and told me my Action #28 graded a 7.0 and needed to pay them another $28, I told her I put that book with the coupons. She said that the person who opened the package placed it under standard grading. I made a small attempt to explain again, and she said we normally don't accept coupon books and standard grading tier in the same submission, but made an exception this time. I Immediately paid with my debit card. Other than this one time, I have always found CGC to be pretty relaxed about the submittor's guess on FMV.

You poor misguided soul. You should check out my Registry some time. Or I'll send you some digital pics of the vault books. But this is not a big weenie contest, mostly I was just trying to get a rise out of you. And it worked.

I was just playing :sorry:

I was just playing :sorry:

:grin:

Yea, im like 470 something in the registry right now. But have only been buying slabs about 6 months. You win..

Thank god it's not a contest, Pat. There are so many guys with sick sets and so many people with sicker sets that will never Register them. Bronze books have always been my main focus, Sig. Series is my new infatuation. Sort of like the nice wife and the new mistress . . .

Yea, im like 470 something in the registry right now. But have only been buying slabs about 6 months. You win..

Thank god it's not a contest, Pat. There are so many guys with sick sets and so many people with sicker sets that will never Register them. Bronze books have always been my main focus, Sig. Series is my new infatuation. Sort of like the nice wife and the new mistress . . .

I wouldnt do any good competeing. The guy who has the highest graded Tec run only has a handful of books. I just want to complete the run from 50-850, no competition just want to be able to see the 800 consecutive issues.

And SS books are sweet. I love getting my favorite artists signatures. Now if I could just get to more shows that HAVE my favorite artists. Everything else I have is pretty much possible fodder for more Tecs.

And my newest infatuation is pedigrees.

Trust me , the nice wife ain't so nice when she meets the new mistress . meh