• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost in the Mail...

58 posts in this topic

cgcfan, was this for a domestic shipment? What I've found is that if you use "Delivery Confirmation" they will note that it was delivered. If you need to make sure that Person X is available to physically receive the package, and sign for it, you have to use "Signature Confirmation".

In my experience, the combination of Delivery Confirmation and Insurance has sufficed, but I mainly involve myself with domestic shipments.

I too have had easier transactions with England than with Canada. I exclusively have used USPS with no problems. The two times I've received claims of non-delivered packages from buyers all I had to do was check the delivery status to find out that they have already attempted shipment and the package is at the buyer's local PO.

I once put 2 MO's in a priority envelope of $1,800. I checked online said it was delivered. Got an email from the guy saying he hasn't seen it yet. Went to my PO and they called the one it got sent to. It turned out that they didn't want to bend it and put it in the Box since the guy was an artist and never put in the yellow slip saying there was anything to be picked up behind the counter. That was a first a PO not bending something to stuff in a box.

Can't you use FexEx International?

Sure, if you want to pay $30 customs fees.

It's really not as bad as I make it out to be, though at Christmas, things do get a bit hairy, and their "criminal holiday workers" do tend to scam quite a bit.

Through the rest of the year, it's rock solid, and I have yet to lose a package any other time of the year.

Yes, it is that bad JC. Perhaps even more so in Quebec. It's been a while since I lived there, but it did not matter if a box was sent from the US or within Canada-as a rule, it was damaged or pilfered. I would get family pictures with finger prints on them, clothes missing, books missing, food missing, etc. A bunch of thieving bastards. It was unreal. It got so bad, I would have books shipped to Plattsburg, NY and make a trip down to visit a friend in school there to pick them up.

Whoa that sucks! The PO cannot confirm what address they delivered to? I thought that's the whole point of delivery confirmation?

As you can tell I've never had to pursue this with USPS.....

Jim

No, all the info that they had was that it was delivered to the city at a specific time. So, that's why i am thinking that it was delivered incorrectly.

Do any of the carriers have restricted delivery? By that I mean a specific person has to sign for the parcel? I remember seeing that somewhere. Delivery confirmation is nice, but we've had mail stolen from our box on more than one occasion so unless the PO actually acquires a wet sig I think it a waste of time.

I've sent approximately 7000 packages via USPS since I've started selling on eBay and have lost a grand total of zero

Then how do you explain my disastrous experience of three in a year ???????

Do you BLAME me for feeling let down ???????

I would chalk it up to your impatience and unfamiliarity with the USPS, which is surprising for someone with a voluminous collection, pieced together from quite a large international base. Also, I heard that UK post has been on strike for quite a bit now? Has that been resolved? The problem is that with your high value shipments, if insured will be taken in by customs and that is where it will sit for ages. The USPS has no responsibility for its delivery after it has been signed for by your UK post and British Customs is their acting agent.

I have shipped all over the UK (all over the world) and used all types of rates: from surface post to Express mail and they have ALWAYS gotten there to the satisfaction of the buyer.

Here is the key factor once again: HIGH DOLLARS = LONG TIME AT CUSTOMS

Anyone ever read Clive Barker's "The Great and Secret Show?"

Is there such a place as the Dead Letter Office?

Makes you think how many comics are there gathering dust... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes I have read it, I have never run across anyone else who has. It's been about 10 years, but I still remember not being able to put that book down....... thumbsup2.gif

When I use Delivery Confirmation and use the usps.com web site to check up, all that they will show is the city/state of the last destination. I know that they are supposed to scan the barcode on the package when left, but I doubt that they track the destination address in their system. Will look into this in greater detail...

Anyone ever read Clive Barker's "The Great and Secret Show?"

Is there such a place as the Dead Letter Office?

Makes you think how many comics are there gathering dust... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes I have read it, I have never run across anyone else who has. It's been about 10 years, but I still remember not being able to put that book down....... thumbsup2.gif

It was actually the first or second Barker book I read..after or before Cabal...

I think I started reading Barker because I was in my teens and I heard there were some 'good' (aka sex) parts in it... grin.gif

Then how do you explain my disastrous experience of three in a year ???????

Do you BLAME me for feeling let down ???????

I would say it is nothing but bad luck, and I don't blame you for feeling frustrated. I've shipped at least 1000 packages through the USPS the last few years and I haven't had one get lost either. But certainly some packages DO get lost, and maybe you were just unlucky enough to have three get lost to you...perhaps it just a statistical anomoly.

But outside of bending and cramming comic books into my PO Box, the USPS does do a pretty good job overall, at least in getting packages from point A to point B, as evidenced by what others have posted here.

When I use Delivery Confirmation and use the usps.com web site to check up, all that they will show is the city/state of the last destination. I know that they are supposed to scan the barcode on the package when left, but I doubt that they track the destination address in their system. Will look into this in greater detail...

The package sent by Joe Nacca has an insurance number, but when I phone up I'm told that it can't be used for tracking.

So how can that be ?????

How can a parcel be insured but untrackable ????

Otherwise anyone could just say they never received it even when they had, and then claim on it anyway.

It just doesn't make sense to me at all.