• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swine Flu and San Diego ??

79 posts in this topic

Just wondering about these kind of things.....these horrible diseases and how they spread and if anyone here has any medical experience or knowledge about if and when this thing can be contained? San Diego is pretty dang close to Mexico....if you know what I mean :(

Greggy is going to be the first Canadian to get it
Try reading the news, dink. A little too late for that, ignorant noob. (:

:whatev:

I still hope you get it :wishluck:

Shucks, that means that you have no where to stay in SD. Too bad, azz

(tsk)

Just wondering about these kind of things.....these horrible diseases and how they spread and if anyone here has any medical experience or knowledge about if and when this thing can be contained? San Diego is pretty dang close to Mexico....if you know what I mean :(

I've heard that the swine flu is no worse than a normal flu and doesn't spread any easier. I don't understand why it's getting the press it is.

Chuck Norris adds swine flu to his morning coffee for flavor.

They closed all of the schools here in Fort Worth about an hour ago. Won't be open until May 8th. I work for the largest healthcare provider in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I just got a call from my boss letting me know they are about to activate our emergency command center due to the swine flu in DFW.

We are much farther from Mexico than San Diego is and it is here spreading like wildfire, so really it's only a matter of time.

(tsk)
I have your portion of the room so I hope you delayed in NY as well, .

(tsk)
I have your portion of the room so I hope you delayed in NY as well, .
I don't fly Delta anymore. It's been all good ever since :cloud9:

I've heard that the swine flu is no worse than a normal flu and doesn't spread any easier. I don't understand why it's getting the press it is.

Because the powers in charge have to get everyone's attention on something besides the giant screwing they're laying up our cans, and the Bush card is starting to lose it's effectiveness. :gossip:

They closed all of the schools here in Fort Worth about an hour ago. Won't be open until May 8th. I work for the largest healthcare provider in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I just got a call from my boss letting me know they are about to activate our emergency command center due to the swine flu in DFW.

We are much farther from Mexico than San Diego is and it is here spreading like wildfire, so really it's only a matter of time.

Well......thats some news. Not good....but news.

Because the powers in charge have to get everyone's attention on something besides the giant screwing they're laying up our cans, and the Bush card is starting to lose it's effectiveness. :gossip:

Er...hate to derail your conspiracy theory here, but it the WHO who are driving this.

Oh, and it's also getting intense global coverage, judging by the UK news and the indications I have from friends in Spain.

After 20 years in newspapers, I can tell you that the Red Cross and other bodies predict the worse flu season in years EVERY year. (They alternate the flu warning press releases with the blood-supplies-at-an-all-time-low press releases.)

If they don't sound panicked, people don't pay attention.

If I was an elected official right now, I'd be thrilled to field questions on what I'm doing to stop this "pandemic" instead of any more questions about how come the economy sucks.

The elderly and the very young are always in jeopardy from the flu each year and about 36,000 people die from it every year in the US. There is a good reason they try to scare people into getting flu shots, but I agree that everything I read just make this sound like a typical flu, except that they didn't give shots to prevent it so no one is protected.

Based on the numbers of dead in Mexico compared to the number of sick it seems like a rather high mortality rate for an influenza virus.

The thing that has people scared is that the seasonal flu shares several factors and traits from year to year and our immune system is set to handle the majority of it. However, when a flu strain jumps from one species to another it becomes something that our bodies are not set up to fight off and thus becomes far more deadly and far more likely to cause serious illness.

Add to that the fact that the earliest we are going to see a vaccine that can handle this strain is September and I can see how people might have their undies in a bunch, especially if you have kids.

C

Based on the numbers of dead in Mexico compared to the number of sick it seems like a rather high mortality rate for an influenza virus.

The thing that has people scared is that the seasonal flu shares several factors and traits from year to year and our immune system is set to handle the majority of it. However, when a flu strain jumps from one species to another it becomes something that our bodies are not set up to fight off and thus becomes far more deadly and far more likely to cause serious illness.

Add to that the fact that the earliest we are going to see a vaccine that can handle this strain is September and I can see how people might have their undies in a bunch, especially if you have kids.

C

Thanks for an informative answer.

Because of those reasons, they reckon that infection rate could be huge (40% here in the UK if this becomes a full-blown pandemic), as will the mortality rate.

Not saying it is going to happen, but...There is actually precident for this sort of thing, but judging by some folks' attitude, they think it could never happen. doh!