• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fetish question

42 posts in this topic

This description was in a Sales thread but I didn't want to derail it so I'm posting my question here.

USA #1

CGC graded 5.5 condition - Universal

Timely Comics

August of 1941

Origin and 1st appearance Whizzer, Mister Liberty and Rocketman.

1st appearance of Jack Frost and Dr. Emil Frank

Cream to Off White pages

Bondage cover

Stan Lee and Joe Simon story

Jack Kirby cover

Basil Wolverton, Jack Kirby, Joe Simon, Al Avison, Syd Shores and Al Gabriele art

I've always wondered, is bondage the only sexual fetish singled out by CGC and Overstreet? If so, why is that? I see plenty of other fetishes represented frequently (big boobs, cross-dressing, etc), but none singled out for specific mention.

I know this opens the floodgates for what I hope will be some very funny comments and probably some fun insults, but a serious answer or two in the mix would be cool as well.

Me too but I have been too embarrassed to ask. :blush:

I probably should be but I expect this will be a fun discussion.

I remember when I first signed up here a discussion about "slap to the back of the head" designation and it was really funny.

I guess they consider "bondage" not as controversial a term as "headlights" :) or "sexy spider with a skull for a head with blood dripping out its mouth". :sick:

Some terms are also probably more common. The number of bondage covers out there are plentiful....probably as many as any other theme. Its a great point you've brought up.

:popcorn: Good question. I'd like to know, too.

I'm guessing bondage covers were innocent 'damsel in distress' formula-compositions. Gives the hero something to do. (shrug)

The rest is Collectors + Wertham = Overstreet notations

I'm not asking why does bondage exist in comics, that seems like an obvious component for some conflict/struggle storylines, I'm just wondering why it gets special mention over other, um, activities.

I've also seen other themes noted in PreCode books on the CGC label:

"Classic Cover"

"Classic Skull Cover"

"Electrocution Cover"

There are tons of other designations I'm sure, it just struck me as odd that bondage was the only one of a sexual nature that was being broken out (although I'm sure there are people who get off on skulls and electrocutions too).

Spanking is also noted for at least one cover (well, splash) Spirit 12/01/40

Ok then, guess I'm wrong about it being the only one. My lack of knowledge is showing...

I'm guessing bondage covers were innocent 'damsel in distress' formula-compositions. Gives the hero something to do. (shrug)

Actually, there is a Batman cover that is CGC labels as a Bondage cover but Robin is nowhere in sight.

I'm not asking why does bondage exist in comics, that seems like an obvious component for some conflict/struggle storylines, I'm just wondering why it gets special mention over other, um, activities.

I think because "Seduction of the Innocent" claimed the innocent 'damsel in distress' setup was BDSM. That claim lead to a "prized" sub-category for collectors to focus on, and Overstreet made note of it.

There are tons of other designations I'm sure, it just struck me as odd that bondage was the only one of a sexual nature that was being broken out (although I'm sure there are people who get off on skulls and electrocutions too).

Don't they designate headlight (prominent boobs) covers? If not, I thought they did once upon a time.

Not sure about CGC but Overstreet frequently makes note of "headlights", spanking panels, lingerie, and travestitism as well as the handful of bare-breast covers from the GA, and the far more frequent nude covers of the modern era. This all seems quite quaint today, but as comics were long considered to be produced mainly for children, many collectors have a fascination with anything remotely risque when it comes to comics - especially from the Gold and Atom ages.