• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crash or Not(get it out of your systems here)

11 posts in this topic

Crash? sure,probably,why not? Boom following? sure probably,why not? Markets go in cycles,period. Heres one antedoctal piece as to why i believe the number of collectors of back age will increase,not decrease.If you're around my age,nearing 50,you'll remember the old days where all you had to go by was the word of a dealer that would offer you a buck for a book and turn around and offer it back out for 10 bucks.With ebay,the net in general as well as CGC we now have a market. Thats right folks. No more wild wild west where 2% of the people took advantage of 98% of the people. With all the information around us,with prices published by the second. Now everyone has a legitimate chance of getting a fair price if they're willing to take the time to do a little research. Are prices increasing because of pure speculation? To me,thats one huge leap to make.The easier assumption is that prices are going up due to the twin factors of Demand & Speculation. Sounds like a normal,healthy market to me.When the correction at least if not a crash occurs,the best will go down the least on a % basis and will rise back quickest,just like stocks.

Still too early for a crash. People are spending money !! Be it on cars, homes, investments , big buck toys , and collectables. When people stop buying non essential goods, then we will have a crash. When, who knows ?? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Markets are cyclical. I wouldn't call it a "crash"--that's too harsh. The markets will adjust themselves, and buyers and sellers will enter/leave the market based on 1. the economy and 2. their level of spending. As long as the comic crash doesn't coincide with a job layoff, I should be doing just fine.

I guess that's usually the biggest " Crash " , a job layoff !! That could be considered as a personal comic crash because buying comics may be high on the list of items to get the Heave Ho. Or, on the other hand , it may be a good time to generate some income by selling comics ! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've never posted in a thread about this topic before because I don't think there's ever going to be a "crash" for all old comics but I have to say I think the day will come soon that CGC 9.4 and higher books are going to crash and burn. I just saw an X-men #4 CGC 9.4 sell on comiclink for $5500!! Since when are collectors paying almost 600% of guide just for a non-key Silver age NM book?! Just nine months ago you could pick up a G/VG copy of that book for $20-$25 on eBay! As more and more copies get CGCed there's no way those prices aren't going to drop!

Sorry for adding to a topic that has already been done to death a thousand times, but $5500 for that book?! You could get an X-men #1 in 8.0 for that price and still have $1000-$1500 left over! 893frustrated.gif

thats a perfect example of a book that can correct.I do think however that $1000 is going to remain the standard for non key high grade deeper in the run issues.Any non key FF 9.4 or better from 50 on down will be a $1000 book eventually,and probably stay there.One area i can see correcting already is gold & atomic age sci fi and horror. Planet in the gold used to attract far more bids than they do now and the Atlas/Marvel titles such as JIM,TOS,TTA and Strange Tales were bid up on a regular basis but now there are plenty of higher graded issues that the buying public feels are overpriced and go without a bid.