• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2.5 Action# 1 just listed on Metro website.

134 posts in this topic

Wow, curious to hear the story behind this one. There are more of these out there than most people think, I think.

We dont know if this is a new discovered copy or an already cgc graded copy on the census yet.There are 2.5s on the census

These things seem to falling out of the sky and crawling out of the woodwork. I don't think they're nearly as scarce as many may tend to believe. Sure it's the most important comic book there is, but I think 90k for a 1.8 is silly. I can think of a dozen other books that I would rather have in that price range.

These things seem to falling out of the sky and crawling out of the woodwork. I don't think they're nearly as scarce as many may tend to believe. Sure it's the most important comic book there is, but I think 90k for a 1.8 is silly. I can think of a dozen other books that I would rather have in that price range.

I dont think 3 recent unrestored copies comming out of the woodwork within the last year implies that Action 1 isnt scarce[[which it certainly is.]] Consider how many copies have come out in the LAST 10 YEARS. Certainly a long range look will give you a better perspective as to it scarcity. Tec 27 and Marvel 1 have all had multiple copies come out in very short periods of time and have than dried up and dissapeared and they are certainly scarce too. I also want to ad that many people confuse the word scarce with rarity.

Action1,Tec 27 and Marvel 1 are not rare,they are scarce. They are only rare in unrestored midgrade and higher.

Now if you want to talk about books falling out of the sky and woodwork lets talk AF15

AF 15 to Action 1 is a silly comparison.

Action 1 is certainly becoming more and more plentiful. In the past 5 or 6 years it used to feel like you had one MAYBE two a year come up publicly for sale, and that was your shot. Now it seems like you have your shot monthly. I don't know how much of this is Metro having them and sitting on them, and thinking that now might be the best time to cash in, maybe it really is a line of original owners coming to market with them (the skeptic in me just doesn't believe that kind of serendipity), but whatever it is, it appears that Action 1s are being driven to market (relatively speaking) en masse.

When I first started collecting, it used to be "engine revving" to merely see a Marvel 1, now Marvel 1 is met, mostly, with a yawn. I'm not saying the two situations are perfectly analogous, but one can certainly see some similarities.

...or just being drawn out by all the publicity the 6.0 had.

I've mentioned a few times that maybe it isn't as rare as people thought. Just scarce as Peter said. People hang on to them.

R.

I dont think 3 recent unrestored copies comming out of the woodwork within the last year implies that Action 1 isnt scarce[[which it certainly is.]] Consider how many copies have come out in the LAST 10 YEARS. Certainly a long range look will give you a better perspective as to it scarcity. Tec 27 and Marvel 1 have all had multiple copies come out in very short periods of time and have than dried up and dissapeared and they are certainly scarce too. I also want to ad that many people confuse the word scarce with rarity.

Action1,Tec 27 and Marvel 1 are not rare,they are scarce. They are only rare in unrestored midgrade and higher.

Now if you want to talk about books falling out of the sky and woodwork lets talk AF15

Whenever a book goes for a lot in an auction a few copies surface.That 317 is looking like a better price every day.90k for a 1.8 is crazy.

Im sure there are more of these books than we think.But to say they were falling from the sky is tongue in cheek.

WHY? It illustrates that Action 1 is scarce.

What is silly is implying that a book is not scarce because a spurt of them have come out in a short period of time.

Hit me with how many copies have publically sold over the last 10 years.

There are more AF 15s at Metros booth at San diego in 2008 than Action 1s sold in the last 50 years.

Whats the argument, the book is scarce as hell.

There are more AF 15s at Metros booth at San diego in 2008 than Action 1s sold in the last 50 years.

You were on a roll until you fell victim to the same temptation to exaggerate as did the person to whom you were responding. Your other points, however, are well taken.

I think you're missing the point in terms of relevant comparison.

Saying a book from 1939 is scarce, and using a book from 1962 as support really sells the 1939 book short. If that's how you want to approach the argument, then by all means go ahead, but there are far greater supports for scarcity than bringing AF 15 into the discussion. I think everyone with a basic understanding of supply and demand will tell you that AF 15 is trading hands at prices that spit in the face of economic reason.

That said, with every "OO" Action 1 that comes to market with a story similar to the last two (bought at a second hand bookstore, or something like that) you have to simply ignore common sense to wonder how many more stories like that are out there with those books sitting as potential ticking time bombs for the Action 1 price-point, considering that some, not all, of the Action 1s sold in the last decade sold on the strength of it being maybe the only shot the purchaser believed would exist at ownership of the book.

Now, I'm of the mindset that the long standing assumption that there are 100-150 copies of this book to be a tad bit understated. I really would believe, especially in light of the past 4 months, that there are potentially twice as many copies. That doesn't make the book common, that doesn't make the book plentiful, but it has to have some impact in the coming years if there's a continual march to market for these copies.

Action 1 is certainly becoming more and more plentiful. In the past 5 or 6 years it used to feel like you had one MAYBE two a year come up publicly for sale, and that was your shot. Now it seems like you have your shot monthly. I don't know how much of this is Metro having them and sitting on them, and thinking that now might be the best time to cash in, maybe it really is a line of original owners coming to market with them (the skeptic in me just doesn't believe that kind of serendipity), but whatever it is, it appears that Action 1s are being driven to market (relatively speaking) en masse.

When I first started collecting, it used to be "engine revving" to merely see a Marvel 1, now Marvel 1 is met, mostly, with a yawn. I'm not saying the two situations are perfectly analogous, but one can certainly see some similarities.

I would suggest this is largely due to changes in how the marketplace works over the past 10 years due to the net. 20 years ago if an Action 1 surfaced in Wisconsin (or wherever), it might go from local dealer to regional show to another dealer to collector without most people knowing about it. These days, it will quickly find its way to one of the auction houses or Metro and the entire marketplace will know about it.

The marketplace is (slowly) becoming more transparent, also. More sales are public, more collectors are sharing info about what they have and what they know.

How many copies are left(in your best estimate).Its it truly scarce or people are holding and not willing to sell at any price?

Have you ever been to a San Diego Convention and visited Metros booth?

They will have more AF15s on there wall[or in there inventory ]] than all the Action 1s sold publically in the last 50 years. Im not exaggerating. I mean it.

I would suggest this is largely due to changes in how the marketplace works over the past 10 years due to the net. 20 years ago if an Action 1 surfaced in Wisconsin (or wherever), it might go from local dealer to regional show to another dealer to collector without most people knowing about it. These days, it will quickly find its way to one of the auction houses or Metro and the entire marketplace will know about it.

The marketplace is (slowly) becoming more transparent, also. More sales are public, more collectors are sharing info about what they have and what they know.

I would venture to say that this market transparency is and will in the future only increase the value of Action #1 (or any "scarce" comic for that matter). The fact that we might see more come to the market is largely offset by the amount of big spenders now available to purchase that book.

I think you're missing the point in terms of relevant comparison.

Saying a book from 1939 is scarce, and using a book from 1962 as support really sells the 1939 book short. If that's how you want to approach the argument, then by all means go ahead, but there are far greater supports for scarcity than bringing AF 15 into the discussion. I think everyone with a basic understanding of supply and demand will tell you that AF 15 is trading hands at prices that spit in the face of economic reason.

That said, with every "OO" Action 1 that comes to market with a story similar to the last two (bought at a second hand bookstore, or something like that) you have to simply ignore common sense to wonder how many more stories like that are out there with those books sitting as potential ticking time bombs for the Action 1 price-point, considering that some, not all, of the Action 1s sold in the last decade sold on the strength of it being maybe the only shot the purchaser believed would exist at ownership of the book.

Now, I'm of the mindset that the long standing assumption that there are 100-150 copies of this book to be a tad bit understated. I really would believe, especially in light of the past 4 months, that there are potentially twice as many copies. That doesn't make the book common, that doesn't make the book plentiful, but it has to have some impact in the coming years if there's a continual march to market for these copies.

Do you really think that there are really 300 COMPLETE copies of Action 1 out there? I certainly dont. Plenty of coverless and pages missing copies in that number if its true. I have seen enough parts only for sale ala the recent Metro cover part and the slabbing of pages. 70 years can make finding a book complete a challenge too.

How many copies are left(in your best estimate).Its it truly scarce or people are holding and not willing to sell at any price?

100 to 125 complete copies..im stressing the word complete.

if you want to count coverless or just parts than id say 300