• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2.5 Action# 1 just listed on Metro website.

134 posts in this topic

Technically speaking this is also a 1.5 in 2.5 sheep's clothing. Remove the tape? What do you have....

Yeah, I kinda agree. It's a beautiful-looking book, but I take the label description to mean that the covers were split/detached before the tape was added. I'm surprised that this would not fall into 1.8/2.0 territory at best, from what I've seen of how CGC has handled books with similar structural flaws...

actually, I just had a 1.8 crippen All Star 3 that I had the covers reattached (from a vicious spine split/mylar accident) and it got a 3.0...so, 2.5 is right in line...

Is it for sale?

hm

Technically speaking this is also a 1.5 in 2.5 sheep's clothing. Remove the tape? What do you have....

Yeah, I kinda agree. It's a beautiful-looking book, but I take the label description to mean that the covers were split/detached before the tape was added. I'm surprised that this would not fall into 1.8/2.0 territory at best, from what I've seen of how CGC has handled books with similar structural flaws...

actually, I just had a 1.8 crippen All Star 3 that I had the covers reattached (from a vicious spine split/mylar accident) and it got a 3.0...so, 2.5 is right in line...

Is it for sale?

hm

I offered it here on these boards just a few months ago...as a 1.8...now, it is a 3.0 and it is still priced the same (remember, buy the book, not the label)...I have it listed on clink and it will make the convention scene with me this summer...

You look at this CGC G+ and you compare it to the CGC G+ that was graded years ago with a big piece out of the top of the cover - THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

absolutely correct...that 2.5 is a 1.5 in sheep's clothing...this 2.5 is technically a 2.5, but presents much cleaner

I was thinking the same thing... IMHO, if you take away the tape and you have a book similar to the 1.5 Tec #27 up for auction on Heritage. This is one area where I don't really agree with CGC's grading stance. If tape isn't considered restoration, then I would prefer for CGC to grade the book as if the tape wasn't there. Under what I have gleaned to be CGC's current stance, it seems as though people looking to maximize profits upon sale are encouraged to improve a books structural grade by applying non-archival tape; a short term fix which will have a long-term detrimental effect on the book... While it is great to buy the book and all, a lot of people will just see the CGC grade and bid accordingly, not recognizing that it might only be a 1.5 without the tape... :(

You look at this CGC G+ and you compare it to the CGC G+ that was graded years ago with a big piece out of the top of the cover - THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

absolutely correct...that 2.5 is a 1.5 in sheep's clothing...this 2.5 is technically a 2.5, but presents much cleaner

I was thinking the same thing... IMHO, if you take away the tape and you have a book similar to the 1.5 Tec #27 up for auction on Heritage. This is one area where I don't really agree with CGC's grading stance. If tape isn't considered restoration, then I would prefer for CGC to grade the book as if the tape wasn't there. Under what I have gleaned to be CGC's current stance, it seems as though people looking to maximize profits upon sale are encouraged to improve a books structural grade by applying non-archival tape; a short term fix which will have a long-term detrimental effect on the book... While it is great to buy the book and all, a lot of people will just see the CGC grade and bid accordingly, not recognizing that it might only be a 1.5 without the tape... :(

good point....

one must also consider that non archival tape that is used, is not the same tape used 30 years ago that "destroyed" paper...

most of the tape you can use today, has a lifespan in excess of the paper it is holding...glue has come a long way, baby lol

good point....

one must also consider that non archival tape that is used, is not the same tape used 30 years ago that "destroyed" paper...

most of the tape you can use today, has a lifespan in excess of the paper it is holding...glue has come a long way, baby lol

Well we can always wait around 30 years and see how the new tape holds up!

I am setting my watch... synchronize ...now.