• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So will Alex Ross be considered the next Neal Adams?

91 posts in this topic

I thought Justice was fantastic. One of the few moderns worth picking up and collecting IMO.

It would be interesting to see which artist's items would be in more demand 20 yrs out...

Ross or Sudyam, both painters and primarily cover artists.

As a collectible, however, I see Laird/Eastman stuff worth more in the long run as time and time again, what makes a collectible valuable is partially, adults longing to recapture that part of their youth that was pop culturally iconic.

Justice was incredible. Kingdom Come however, lured me back into collecting. :cloud9:

My choice would be someone like Jeff Smith, who is actually doing something new and innovative, rather than giving a new paint job to old and tired GA/SA creations.

Those Bone characters aren't updated versions of Shmoos?

I'm no big fan of the Bone series, but even I can shoot holes in that stupid comparison, all day long.

Please do. I'd love to see you waste your time. (Hit a nerve, huh?)

Oh yeah, you really got me there (I've read one Bone TPB in my life), and I assume you don't realize how idiotic you looked posting that comparison on an international board, right? :roflmao:

Although I like most of his work, there is still no possibility that any comic book artist post-1994 will ever be a part of the pop culture lexicon.

---------------

But his work appears outside the context of comics too (I think he's done a number of Village Voice covers and probably other stuff) and his work is often used when articles are written about comics (n the NY Times at least..which is actually not that uncommon).

I doubt many people outside of commic readers and collectors even know who Neal Adams is either. My older brother was a varacious comics reader (Marvel and Image) for a while and I seriously doubt he knows who Adams is. Ditto my kid brother, who was less voracious for fewer years.

Id rather have a beautiful Ross cover than a shocked Batman cover any day :luhv:

I'd rather have both (thumbs u

Although I like most of his work, there is still no possibility that any comic book artist post-1994 will ever be a part of the pop culture lexicon.

---------------

But his work appears outside the context of comics too (I think he's done a number of Village Voice covers and probably other stuff) and his work is often used when articles are written about comics (n the NY Times at least..which is actually not that uncommon).

He's also done cd covers (Anthrax), a series of four interlocking Smallville covers for TV Guide, and the promo poster for the 2002 Academy Awards

(Don't argue with Vince - didn't you see how he just put me in my place? Oh, the shame)

Id rather have a beautiful Ross cover than a shocked Batman cover any day :luhv:

we should get Ross to paint a shocked batman hm

lol

we should get Ross to paint a shocked batman hm

lol

Strawberry Shortcake. :popcorn:

My choice would be someone like Jeff Smith, who is actually doing something new and innovative, rather than giving a new paint job to old and tired GA/SA creations.

Good point...at leas tthe first half--I was thinking Jeff Smith and Bruce Timm. Bone obviously brought some renewed interest in comics from the current gen (I managed to get a number of Bone graphic novels for a library fundraiser and they're in constant circulation), so that gets a (thumbs u

And while Bruce Timm does give "a new paint job to old and tired GA/SA creations," as you'd put it, he really did create a resurgence in the younger and current generations interest in Batman with his very unique style. There have been Superman, JLA, and Teen Titan animated spin offs that follow his style, and I do believe that he will get at least a footnote for his contributions.

But please don't mistake me for putting either individual on the same level as Neal Adams. I'm simply pointing out two artists who I think will be relevant and of interest to fans younger than most of us here.

Alex Ross will never attain Neal Adams levels. Ross paints pretty pictures. Adams helped to revitalize an industry and change the way artists approach comic book work.

JC is fairly correct to say that no post-1994 artist will achieve the pop culture stature that earlier creators did. If there was any that was going to, I'd put my money on someone who's style has influenced more than just funny books. Right now, I'm thinking Bruce Timm who pretty much created Harley Quinn (with Paul Dini) and the animated Batman look that DC has been using for decades.

And of all the new characters in the last two decades, Harley Quinn is probably the one who has filtered most into the consciousness of non-comic fans. Sorry Marvel Zombies.

I would have to agree about the post naming Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane. Those two are almost legends right now. Alex Ross is great, but not close enough to be a legend in comics.

I'd rather have an artist who can do a monthly book and on time than someone who apparently can only do pretty covers.

---------------

He's also done cd covers (Anthrax), a series of four interlocking Smallville covers for TV Guide, and the promo poster for the 2002 Academy Awards

(Don't argue with Vince - didn't you see how he just put me in my place? Oh, the shame)

Reading you posts and your attitude makes me come to the conclusion that either you've lurked here for awhile before posting or you're a shill for someone. hm

---------------

Reading you posts and your attitude makes me come to the conclusion that either you've lurked here for awhile before posting or you're a shill for someone. hm

That... and knowing members' first name is rather curious since most people don't refer to JC by name unless they've known him sometime. Not saying one way or the other, but it does make you hm

I highly doubt any computer aided "artists" are going to go down in the annals of comic book history. It's like photoshopping women on the covers of magazines, slick and glossy, but has no lasting meaning. Lou Fine, Gil Kane, and Neal Adams had something in common. I think it was skill with a pencil and pen.

well joe, you and I know whether some comic sells for $10K isn't really the issue as that is driven by quantity.

what does their respective OA sell for? (let's compare paintings...)

anyone know?

neither hits frazetta levels, i assume

my guess is that an adams piece of similar detail to a ross SHOULD be more given that Ross has probably cranked out more paintings in his career, but then again, the actuarial tables say Ross has many more years left to crank