• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Little Mac is back!!!!!!!!! Punch-out for Wii coming soon

43 posts in this topic

So what would make it work for you? Little mac carries a gun and mows down the fighters in first person perspective?

Don't forget that Punch Out is a childhood fave of mine too. (tsk)

Dont be sensitive :P;)

I guess what this boils down to, as we've discussed before, is our different takes on "innovative". To me all first person shooters are the same game with a different coat of paint.

-------

"They have the top selling console and they got that way with inferior hardware, an abysmal game library, and by leaning on IPs that were made 20-25 years ago when they were actually innovative and truly moving the industry forward."

--no they got the top selling console by offering something different that people of all ages could enjoy (shrug)

Wii has some really super fun games like Mario Cart, Mario galaxy, but yeah.. I agree that the library isnt up to speed... I thought Nintendos best new game in a while was Super Mario 3d on the DS!

I find the WII control in Boxing games to be pretty bad though...

This might have to be a "use the wiimote as a regular pad" type game...

I dunno.. Maybe its just me.. I actually trained with professional (kick)boxers, and I know how to block, jab, uppercut, etc...

So when I box my fiancee and she just punches randomly the whole time and beats me.. I dont like it.. ha

for sure, I know what you mean. That being said, there's a new motion chip for the controllers that's supposed to make the wii controls way better. But whatever, if a regular controller is better for this game, so be it.

Wii has some really super fun games like Mario Cart, Mario galaxy, but yeah.. I agree that the library isnt up to speed... I thought Nintendos best new game in a while was Super Mario 3d on the DS!

I'm going to buy that Henry Hatsworth DS game... that sounds pretty good, just read a review for it that was very favorable

as for the library, I dunno, maybe you guys are right. I have maybe 15 ds games and like five wii games and that's plenty for me

I AGREE!

Come on get the WIFI and play mario cart! Nothing beats that game! Playing peeps in Japan, UK, France , Spain etc. I also enjoyed hacking Animal Crossing, and my friends got rather jealous...its a girl thing.

Plus downloading other awesome titles, Original Mario Bros., Zelda, Contra! Cant beat this system sorry.

Plus its great for my kids, and Guitar Hero...My kids rock at it!

So what would make it work for you? Little mac carries a gun and mows down the fighters in first person perspective?

I guess what this boils down to, as we've discussed before, is our different takes on "innovative". To me all first person shooters are the same game with a different coat of paint.

I love ya bro, but you're WAY wrong here.

First off, there's much more to the industry than FPSs. Play Grand Theft Auto IV, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Space, Little Big Planet, Fallout 3, and METAL GEAR SOLID 4, then you might get an idea of what I mean by "innovative". Whether it's open world freedom, story driven narrative, or gameplay mechanics, each one of these games is really pushing industry boundaries in some way.

MGS 4 is a masterpiece. I'm not just saying that because I'm a MGS fanboy, or because I know you liked the first MGS, I'm saying it because that's just what it is. Just like with the first MGS, after you play 4, you'll never look at games the same way again.

Bioshock is almost as brilliant.

The Wii may be fun and nostalgic, but it isn't innovating in this industry by anyone's (within the industry) definition. The comic equivalent of calling the Wii innovative is like saying that Image comics, and it's stable of artists, revolutionized the comic industry in the early 90's. They were flashy and popular, catering to large audiences, but lacked any kind of substance or long term viability. Gaming history isn't going to be looking too kindly on the Wii,

If you are going to defend Nintendo, the DS is your best bet. That seems to be the only platform where Nintendo's seal of quality still has any meaning.

Nintendo is a trip though...

I can't understand it but they have never done (to my knowlege)

a greatest hits version of these old school games.

I would love to have the REAL collection on a greatest hits set:

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Donkey Kong 3

Mario Brothers

Popeye

Hogan's Alley and Duck Hunt (would work well with the Wii motion sticks)

And of course my all time fave

the original Punch-Out!

As far as I know the closest they have came to this is the downloads that

is the NES version of these games and NOT the professional coin-op versions.

I have the original arcade Williams, Midway, Namco, Taito, you name it

because I am a coin-op version freak (without owning a real coin fed).

:P

I love ya bro, but you're WAY wrong here.

First off, there's much more to the industry than FPSs.

Yeah I know, just givin' you a hard time because I know those are your faves ;)

Truth be told each system offers something different and will attract a different crowd. I'm just surprised at how constantly anti-wii you are :P Yeah I can see that right now the controls lack in some ways, I will give you that. But I'm surprised you can't see the potential for what it could become with further refinements (shrug) To me moving away from multiple stick/ ten button joysticks opens up a whole world of possibilities. You have to imagine that the current wii controls are the equivalent of an atari joystick (one stick, one button). The evolution of that lead to what you play on your xbox with today. The evolution of motion controls could lead to amazing possibilities if you open up your mind to think of some of the ways it could evolve.

Isn't Punch-Out already available as a cheap download for Wii?

This is a different game... a reimagining of the original two games, with a new fighter or two. Kind of a reboot of the franchise.

Yeah I know, just givin' you a hard time because I know those are your faves

No way, man. I love me third person action games like God of War, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry first; then fighting games, then shooters. ;)

But I'm surprised you can't see the potential for what it could become with further refinements

I do see the potential...and how they're wasting it. That's why I'm frustrated. Keep in mind that we're already at the halfway point of this console generation, and there's 2 years at most before we start hearing rumbles about the next systems. It's late in the game and there's nothing on the horizon. :(

Yeah I know, just givin' you a hard time because I know those are your faves

No way, man. I love me third person action games like God of War, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry first; then fighting games, then shooters. ;)

But I'm surprised you can't see the potential for what it could become with further refinements

I do see the potential...and how they're wasting it. That's why I'm frustrated. Keep in mind that we're already at the halfway point of this console generation, and there's 2 years at most before we start hearing rumbles about the next systems. It's late in the game and there's nothing on the horizon. :(

Did you hear about motion plus? Supposed to be an add-on that will make the motion controls much more responsive. that's coming out shortly. So you know if they are doing that for wii they will do something even better for wii2. To me, that's a given and not that interesting until we see what it will actually be like.

What's more interesting to me is what the other players will do. Will they stay mainly with the analog sticks or try motion control in a more real way? I figure they will probably stick with analog, but it will be fun to watch how their strategies shape up.

I don't think sony will be too happy with their performance this round so they will probably look to do something impressive (although they did ultimately win the blu-ray war, so maybe they don't care). And at the end of the day, maybe all they really need to do is put out an affordable console!

Dan, this is what I mean by innovation and gameplay evolution: