• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey CGC

226 posts in this topic

Opportunity for the same handful of people to diminish NOD = predictable and tired

You didn't see me this go-round. But I will say this. You guys should have a serious sit-down with whoever played lawyer with CGC. Supremely stupid.

+1

This sums up the whole deal.

lame_logo.gif

Yup. In all, a total lamefest from almost everyone. Much ado about nothing.

Watson's dumb parody logo = who cares? I actually liked the fact the org is so in his dome he can't just ignore it.

Watson's vow never to buy from NOD = Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares.

Legal posturing = silly. Should have just let it go.

Outcry over message board "rights" = A good laugh

Offer to defend lawsuits = Silly and self-important

Opportunity for the same handful of people to diminish NOD = predictable and tired

And don't forget NOD Counsel helping to get the ball rolling! (thumbs u

where the hell is Zaid in all this?

throw thyself on thine sword; BK took one for the team and we demand a blood sacrifice

You didn't see me this go-round. But I will say this. You guys should have a serious sit-down with whoever played lawyer with CGC. Supremely stupid.

Mark is the NOD counsel. I have no role in these type things, but I trust there will be some discussion.

My responsibilities these days are the message board admin.

:applause:

People are so unwilling to compromise.

You have to weight out pros and cons:

We get a great playground for a generally great community that's entirely free. You don't even have to be a collector's society member to fully participate here. Registering here gets you access to a wealth of info and a community of (semi) intelligent, knowledgeable individuals who are willing to watch out for each other, and a marketplace to buy and sell great stuff, which is also entirely FREE.

What's the trade-off? Understanding and accepting that the people who pay the bills and provide the playground where some of you play for most of your day, want you to keep your mouth shut from time to time.

Seriously people, do you really think that's an unreasonable price to pay, considering all that you get in return?

This sums up the whole deal.

lame_logo.gif

Yup. In all, a total lamefest from almost everyone. Much ado about nothing.

Watson's dumb parody logo = who cares? I actually liked the fact the org is so in his dome he can't just ignore it.

Watson's vow never to buy from NOD = Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares.

Offer to defend lawsuits = Silly and self-important

And don't forget NOD Counsel helping to get the ball rolling! (thumbs u

I didn't... that would be "Legal posturing = silly. Should have just let it go."

The concept of fair use and using bogus trademark and copyright claims to squelch unpleasant opinion is a far bigger issue than "message board rights."

I've got nothing against NOD or CGC, but this kind of behavior is why I'm a long-time, dues-paying member of the EFF.

Mark is the NOD counsel. I have no role in these type things, but I trust there will be some discussion.

My responsibilities these days are the message board admin.

Then I think we should take this discussion over to the NOD forum where they don't ban people as easily.

:baiting:

We get a great playground for a generally great community that's entirely free. You don't even have to be a collector's society member to fully participate here. Registering here gets you access to a wealth of info and a community of (semi) intelligent, knowledgeable individuals who are willing to watch out for each other, and a marketplace to buy and sell great stuff, which is also entirely FREE.

What's the trade-off? Understanding and accepting that the people who pay the bills and provide the playground where some of you play for most of your day, want you to keep your mouth shut from time to time.

Seriously people, do you really think that's an unreasonable price to pay, considering all that you get in return?

what specifically does "Outcry over message board 'rights'" refer to? i don't recall anyone complaining about their inalienable rights being infringed in either the initial brouhaha or the subsequent ham-handed follow-up.

i see people crying about the sheer ludicrousness of a direct legal request to remove what is clearly a parody of an organisation's logo, and an even larger, more unified cry over the way a rule was enforced at the expense of one of the communities' more well-respected members

what specifically does "Outcry over message board 'rights'" refer to? i don't recall anyone complaining about their inalienable rights being infringed in either the initial brouhaha or the subsequent ham-handed follow-up.

i see people crying about the sheer ludicrousness of a direct legal request to remove what is clearly a parody of an organisation's logo, and an even larger, more unified cry over the way a rule was enforced at the expense of one of the communities' more well-respected members

+1

All true, but people have a general sense of what's fair and what's unfair, and when they see someone like Brian get suspended for two weeks, they're unfair Spidey sense tingles and they just have to say something.

Personally, I think it's the right thing to do. It needs to be said that the NOD member that contacted CGC acted in a shockingly inane manner. I don't blame CGC for caving in, most companies would. But to take the further step of suspending people for voicing an educated opinion on the matter is equally shocking and inane.

+1

+2

Me too. doh! I typed this out and tried to post it a couple of times. I'll try

again here:

Well, since this isn't going away, I thought I would give some background on the

NOE logo. This first appeared in December 2007 during the one of the Grails Game contests.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2087842&fpart=1

3 teams were all given a CGC X-Men comic book and told to come up with the

most outlandish eBay auction listing. MCMiles and myself came up with the

scenario of a comic being transported into space by NASA engineers to receive a

zero-gravity pressing. It involved many pictures of Greggy, a new restoration

company called W.E.I.G.H.T.L.E.S.S, a backstory of NASA, and a new

organization called NOE (Network of Exposure).

weightlesslogo1.jpg

neilarmstrong1.jpg

The whole auction listing was clearly satire in the tradition of Mad magazine and

Wacky Packages. The contest was a lot of fun and some of the proceeds from the

auction went to charity (Toys for Tots, I believe). It was one of coolest things to

happen on these boards.

The NOD logo was created by our very own Redhook whose artwork I admired and

still do. I sent him a PM before the NOE logo was used to give him a heads up

about me doing an homage to his logo and that it was meant to be satire and not

mean-spirited.

So for about 17 months this has not been an issue and I hope it will cease to

be one. The logo is clearly a parody and is representative of my light-hearted

posting style. If it truly offends anyone now, I can go back and remove it from

the archived threads where it was enjoyed for what it was, a chance to laugh

at ourselves. :)

That was you guys?!

I remember this listing, and was saying to myself "What BS - o-gravity smooths away all book wrinkles and bends?" I always wondered if someone called this out to eBay as BS. Now this is REALLY FUNNY being in the know what the heck was going on.

+1

+2

+3