• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey CGC

226 posts in this topic

Outcry over message board "rights" = A good laugh

:applause:

People are so unwilling to compromise.

You have to weight out pros and cons:

We get a great playground for a generally great community that's entirely free. You don't even have to be a collector's society member to fully participate here. Registering here gets you access to a wealth of info and a community of (semi) intelligent, knowledgeable individuals who are willing to watch out for each other, and a marketplace to buy and sell great stuff, which is also entirely FREE.

What's the trade-off? Understanding and accepting that the people who pay the bills and provide the playground where some of you play for most of your day, want you to keep your mouth shut from time to time.

Seriously people, do you really think that's an unreasonable price to pay, considering all that you get in return?

what specifically does "Outcry over message board 'rights'" refer to? i don't recall anyone complaining about their inalienable rights being infringed in either the initial brouhaha or the subsequent ham-handed follow-up.

i see people crying about the sheer ludicrousness of a direct legal request to remove what is clearly a parody of an organisation's logo, and an even larger, more unified cry over the way a rule was enforced at the expense of one of the communities' more well-respected members

+1

+2

+3

+4

i see people crying about the sheer ludicrousness of a direct legal request to remove what is clearly a parody of an organisation's logo, and an even larger, more unified cry over the way a rule was enforced at the expense of one of the communities' more well-respected members

I respect Brian as much as anyone here. I also understand the ridiculousness of the situation that Brian was fighting against.

My point is, if Brian was warned several times, as the ban post suggests, he had two choices at that point; continue on to prove a point, or let the matter rest. Brian is smart enough to pick his battles, and if he chose to fight this one, he did so knowing the consequences.

It sucks that Brian was suspended for two weeks, but it is only 2 weeks, which means nothing in the big scheme of things. I suspect that he understands that, and maybe it was worth it to him to prove his point. I respect that. But this "outcry" over his suspension is, IMO, overblown.

We get a great playground for a generally great community that's entirely free. You don't even have to be a collector's society member to fully participate here. Registering here gets you access to a wealth of info and a community of (semi) intelligent, knowledgeable individuals who are willing to watch out for each other, and a marketplace to buy and sell great stuff, which is also entirely FREE.

What's the trade-off? Understanding and accepting that the people who pay the bills and provide the playground where some of you play for most of your day, want you to keep your mouth shut from time to time.

Seriously people, do you really think that's an unreasonable price to pay, considering all that you get in return?

well-stated and I concur......

This whole thing has been a "Tempest in a Teapot" from the beginning.

Sometimes I can't believe how seriously folks take to some issues and post until their fingers bleed. there are "Way More" meaningful issues in life to place all that pentup energy.

IMHO...

what specifically does "Outcry over message board 'rights'" refer to? i don't recall anyone complaining about their inalienable rights being infringed in either the initial brouhaha or the subsequent ham-handed follow-up.

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5 Sword Holy Avenger :banana:

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5. Wait, wha?

Seriously though, that's fine. I'm merely pointing out that some battles may not be worth fighting, and I'm amazed that some of you have made it this far into adulthood being so sensitive to what's fair and unfair, especially considering the kind of world we live in.

If you guys enjoy getting worked up over relatively meaningless mess, have at it; I prefer to pick my battles a little more carefully, if for no other reason than to keep the blood pressure pills away.

All true, but people have a general sense of what's fair and what's unfair, and when they see someone like Brian get suspended for two weeks, they're unfair Spidey sense tingles and they just have to say something.

Personally, I think it's the right thing to do. It needs to be said that the NOD member that contacted CGC acted in a shockingly inane manner. I don't blame CGC for caving in, most companies would. But to take the further step of suspending people for voicing an educated opinion on the matter is equally shocking and inane.

And there's the rub. Whether intentional or not, in lieu of the chain of events, the deleting and looking of threads and suspension come off locking like an attempt to keep the egg off one's face and not simple enforcement of a policy.

why in the world does NOD need a general counsel position.

NOD is a registered Not-For-Profit organization with all of the required officers.

If you have any further questions, please go to the NOD Boards:

http://www.networkofdisclosure.com/forum/index.php

:foryou:

But isn't there a NOD Q&A thread here?

Sometimes I can't believe how seriously folks take to some issues and post until their fingers bleed. there are "Way More" meaningful issues in life to place all that pentup energy.

(thumbs u

But let's not get too jolly in this thread... today's a black page in the board's history AFAIC :(

+1

More like a Black eye if you ask me.

It was embarrassing enough to watch how the NOE logo situation was handled yesterday, only to see things made worse today by Scott's decision to drop the hammer on Brian for speaking his mind. Sounds to me like Brian simply called Scotts bluff and went ahead and posted what he was asked not to. Leaving Scott the choice of either stepping back to see how things played out, or give Brian a totally over the top uncalled for 2 week vacation.

All I know is the person in NOD who is responsible for this little logo stunt (and I was told who you are) is laughing their collective azz off at the dissention it has caused here. So shame on you, why don't you come here and own up to the mess you made. And shame on you CGC for not taking the time to not moderate without emotion, cause from the outside looking in at all this..well your actions look no less petty then the people who didn't want Jim to post that stoopid NOE logo(no offense flee)

And there's the rub. Whether intentional or not, in lieu of the chain of events, the deleting and looking of threads and suspension come off locking like an attempt to keep the egg off one's face and not simple enforcement of a policy.

Oh, we've clearly got someone who doesn't actually understand the dynamics of the Internet trying to make a problem go away by trying to play whack-a-mole with the delete and suspend buttons.

Of course, that just pisses people off and makes it worse.

"Hrm, maybe this gasoline will make the flames die down?"

NOD is a registered Not-For-Profit organization with all of the required officers.

You mean the locked thread? lol

Now that NOD has a public board, it seems like a more appropriate forum to answer organizational questions.

:signfunny:

I assume this is one of your patented MrBedrock gags, since that thread is now locked. (In case anybody missed it.)