• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus #1 COUNTERFEIT being sold as genuine on ebay WARNING!!!

47 posts in this topic

Cerebus #1 Counterfeit being sold as Genuine on ebay warning!!!

I got emailed some close ups from the seller. The copy certainly looks like a counterfeit to me, and I own both a genuine and counterfeit copy. Wanted to make sure all you board members are warned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370197721568&Category=12589&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

From the auction description:

Also, I have marked the book in two places, so that only my representative from ebay and I know where the marks are. You will not catch them with the naked eye. Do not atempt to purchase this book and return a different copy. I am sorry to have to state this, but this scam has been attempted on us in the past.

Say hello to a :eek: purple label, potentially.

Also, I have marked the book in two places, so that only my representative from ebay and I know where the marks are. You will not catch them with the naked eye. Do not atempt to purchase this book and return a different copy. I am sorry to have to state this, but this scam has been attempted on us in the past.

A purple label counterfeit copy for only $355...yikes!

Well, since you posted this, here are the photos to back it up.

I agree with Jad that this is not an authentic #1. It passes the sliver staple test, but it also has 4 staples instead of two. Really weird.. and we all know that staples can be replaced. The seller says the inner cover is not glossy, but you can clearly see in the photo that it is. There are also tiny art/printing differences between a real copy and the counterfeits.. this one exhibits all the quirks that I see on my counterfeit copies.

I don't think this guy is a scammer, rather he's just unaware that it is a counterfeit. The price is already way above counterfeit prices, so someone is going to get ripped off. Be warned.

th_cerebus1001.jpg th_cerebus1002.jpg th_cerebus1003.jpg th_cerebus1004.jpg th_cerebus1005.jpg th_cerebus1006.jpg th_cerebus1007.jpg th_cerebus1008.jpg th_cerebus1009.jpg

Well, since you posted this, here are the photos to back it up.

I agree with Jad that this is not an authentic #1. It passes the sliver staple test, but it also has 4 staples instead of two. Really weird.. and we all know that staples can be replaced. The seller says the inner cover is not glossy, but you can clearly see in the photo that it is. There are also tiny art/printing differences between a real copy and the counterfeits.. this one exhibits all the quirks that I see on my counterfeit copies.

I don't think this guy is a scammer, rather he's just unaware that it is a counterfeit. The price is already way above counterfeit prices, so someone is going to get ripped off. Be warned.

th_cerebus1001.jpg th_cerebus1002.jpg th_cerebus1003.jpg th_cerebus1004.jpg th_cerebus1005.jpg th_cerebus1006.jpg th_cerebus1007.jpg th_cerebus1008.jpg th_cerebus1009.jpg

I was just uploading the pictures to my server. Thanks for doing this Michael and thanks for the good write up (thumbs u

Nah, only the seller and his rep know where they are and how to spot them so CGC should never be able to see them...

:insane:

BTW if anyone is looking to by a real copy of heard from a little bird that a fellow board member is selling one ;)

Who dat? :gossip: I'm just curious...

Not for me... I already have one on layaway!

Mad props to ComicsAndCode for being lenient with my time payments! (worship)

Still seeking a Raw counterfeit, 2 3 4 5 to complete my run... (:

Nah, only the seller and his rep know where they are and how to spot them so CGC should never be able to see them...

A representative from ebay? What the heck is that?

Utter bollocks probably.

BTW if anyone is looking to by a real copy of heard from a little bird that a fellow board member is selling one ;)

Who dat? :gossip: I'm just curious...

Not for me... I already have one on layaway!

Mad props to ComicsAndCode for being lenient with my time payments! (worship)

Still seeking a Raw counterfeit, 2 3 4 5 to complete my run... (:

Mr. CheezyWhiz himself of coarse :)

Utter bollocks probably.

You english folks can really turn a phrase (thumbs u

Utter bollocks probably.

You english folks can really turn a phrase (thumbs u

:acclaim:

Well, that inside cover is a total glossfest. Counterfeit.

And what a golden opportunity to brag up my two Cerebus #1 buys...

First copy was off the racks new for a dollar.

Second copy came in an auction lot of Cerebus complete from 1-about 155... for $35 or so for the whole shebang.

Ahh, life is good...

There are two easier ways to tell when you have the book in hand, although from the pics (forget about the staples) I can see a tell tale sign.

Light reflecting off the inside front cover.

The original has NO VARNISH on the inside covers, leaving them flat and dull.

Also, and only someone in the print industry such as myself would notice this...and I first caught it when Dave sat with me and on camera showed viewers the differences.... you can see what we call "plugging" of the gray tones on certain pages. Most noticeably, the big splash page in the center of the book when Cerebus is staring up at the dragon. Note the white specs on the dragon but even more so...CEREBUS...the grey dot tone is starting to "plug" or fill in, making his grey appear black. That occurs when something like oh...I don't know...someone takes a camera shot of a pre-existing dot tone pattern and tries to reproduce it!

I would ask for a snapshot of that page alone to be 100% certain.

There's NO getting around that one.

Cerebus #1 Counterfeit being sold as Genuine on ebay warning!!!

I got emailed some close ups from the seller. The copy certainly looks like a counterfeit to me, and I own both a genuine and counterfeit copy. Wanted to make sure all you board members are warned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370197721568&Category=12589&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

Why am I never, ever surprised to click something like this and see the same person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed sellers over and over and over again?

Josh Cooper (WileyCoyote) is a liar, a thief, and a rampant overgrader. I still have the books to prove that.

The guy's just a scam artist. To quote him: "Period."

He's been invited to message boards before, and revealed himself to be the lying, thieving cheat that he is....I wonder if he'll bother showing up here.

And no, I have no fear of libel. It's not libel if it's true, and you can prove it.

As someone who owns one of both, that's the COUNTERFEIT copy.

Everyone, please, REPORT REPORT REPORT.

I got sold a counterfeit copy many years ago....$250....guy said it was geniune.

Yeah, I got my money back.