• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A coke and a candy bar... is it that simple?

36 posts in this topic

Throughout the history of the comic book...

The cover price has been almost exactly the price of a coke and a candy bar.

1940s and 1950s - 10cents

1960s - 12 to 15cents

1970s - 20 to 35cents

1980s - 40cents to $1.00

But somewhere around the 1990s... cover prices hit $2.00 to $3.50

even though the price of a coke and a candy bar settled around $1 to $1.25.

The 1990s saw the "bust" of the industry...

and the 2000s aren't really seeing much of a "boom" even with movie madness.

Coincidence?

How many more comics would you buy if they were $1.25 each?

How about your kids?

How about their friends?

Sure, it might mean we get comics on newsprint... or flimsy covers...

But it seems to me that you can't ask "premium prices" for a "premium product"

when you don't even offer the "basic product" at a "basic price".

I just about never buy a new comic. When I do, it's a Barks reprint for my daughter. If comics were $1.25 each, I'd buy at least 5-10 per month, just to check out the latest and explore new titles/characters.

*If some classic titles and characters were revived with the youth audience in mind, such as Little Lulu and Dennis the Menace, I think they'd sell like hotcakes. I know I'd buy those two titles every month, for my daughter (okay, we'd both read the Little Lulus smile.gif).

As it is, I buy around 15-20 new books a month...a pretty pricey hobby at around 60 dollars a month.

I would love for comics to go back to around $1.25 and be printed the same way they were in the early mid 90's. Actually, the paper Marvel used in 1992-1994 before they started using glossy stock on everything was a-ok with me. It was newsprint, sure, but the paper wasn't too thin and everything on the pages looked bright and clear.

Nowadays the thin, glossy paper Marvel uses leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It just doesn't feel like a comic book anymore. It's more like....a comic magazine! grin.gif

Both taste the same................

1959 Coke 7cents, comic 12 cents , Zagnut 5 cents, BIG Zagnut 8 cents.

What a way to spend a summer afternoon.......

comics were still .10 cents up to 1962 is when they raised the price to .12 cents. gossip.gif893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

I buy one title religiously and another if the whim hits me checking out the books. I'm still waiting for a wise comic company to produce a limited line of 99 cent comic with pulp paper and flimsy covers and provide retailers a cheap cardboard rack designed for the height of 8-12 year olds.

Set it up apart from the block-long racks of slick product and let the kids "discover" their own titles. Heck, DC and Marvel could reprint stuff from decades ago to keep costs down along with creating a few new lines.

Heck, it's worth a try, don't you think? confused-smiley-013.gif