• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man gets 7 years for forging check to buy ASM #2

74 posts in this topic

:roflmao:

My parents would of whipped my arse raw... :insane:

Post the check :popcorn:

I think my folks were so overwhelmed they didn't know what to do.

I'm not sure how they handled it or why they let the books stay...maybe I lied my way out of it to prevent a whooping as I got those regularly but that was decades ago now.

Check will be posted tonite.

:devil:

roy, did the bogus check every come back to haunt you?

Nope.

I think about 15 years ago, at a point in my life when I tried to "make the rough ways straight, bring the mountains low and fill my valleys" I tried to make it right but so much time had passed and it was so difficult to figure out how to do it that it really was a pointless endeavor.

You have top remember in 1977 there were no computers, no internet, everything was rolodex and snail mail.

It was probably near impossible with the state of the flow of information at the time to do anything constructive and especially not for a few hundred bucks.

I feel bad about it to this day but I like to think I've paid for it many times over in other ways.

R.

I wonder if it was covered up by "the employee" that processed your order... hm

Damn kid got one over on me :mad: Well I'm not losing my job over this... (discards returned check) :insane:

I feel bad about it to this day

If I'd have done something like that at that age I'd still be patting myself on the back to this day.

I feel bad about it to this day

If I'd have done something like that at that age I'd still be patting myself on the back to this day.

Your criminal tendencies are only outdone by your perversions lol

Wow, and to think of the trouble I got in when I lifted a pack of the marvel stickers at the local dime store (1977) my Dad caught me and my brother looking at them behind the couch. We got the third degree on how we got them, the paddle, then had to go back to the store apologize pay for them then my Dad ripped them up in front of us. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I would have pulled a sweet scam like yours Roy. That's awesome. Do you still have any of those old books?

Scott Meherg, 28, pleaded guilty to theft Thursday in DuPage County court. Records show Meherg used a $980.99 forged bank check to obtain Spider-Man #2, the second book in the original series, from Graham Crackers Comics in Naperville in 2007.

doh!

If you are going to commit crimes to get comic books, at least make sure you are getting Batman comics

doh!

From the Chicago Tribune 5/8/09

Man gets 7 years for using forged check to buy prized comic book

Tribune staff report

May 8, 2009

The purchase of a rare 1963 Spider-Man comic book with a forged check has resulted in a 7-year prison sentence for a former Naperville man.

Rare?

Scott Meherg, 28, pleaded guilty to theft Thursday in DuPage County court. Records show Meherg used a $980.99 forged bank check to obtain Spider-Man #2, the second book in the original series, from Graham Crackers Comics in Naperville in 2007.

doh!

If you are going to commit crimes to get comic books, at least make sure you are getting Batman comics

doh!

:sumo:

7 years for a forged check doesn't add up.

Exactly, you got to think it will cost the state $20,000 to $30,000 a year to house and feed the criminal, so for a $900 dollar comic, the state over the next 7 years will pay between $100,000 to $210,000 to incarcerate him. It doesn`t add up as you say.

:gossip: It does if you are a career criminal doing this in several states over several years.

From Graham Crackers, eh?

He should have checked for restoration before he wrote that check! :whatthe:

Seriously though...that's a lot of time for a bad check.

I'm not saying it's just or unjust...what comes to MY mind is how people get off or do LESS time for MURDER!

I remember someone telling me once in college, "Man, our justice system is phucked up. You kill someone, you can get off or do less then five years. But rob a bank? You never see the light of day."

It's the same scale they use (I guess) when paying out atheltes and movie stars, then look at the pay scale for teachers, police officers and firefighters.

But don't get me started there.

Still.

Bad check, BAD MOVE dude.

yikes.

OK, here goes...this is quoted from Tupenny's selling thread a few months ago. Now you will all know why I love Marvel fireside books so much.... True story:

OK Gang, here goes.

Sit back and enjoy the read.

:popcorn:

When I was 7 or 8 years old (grade 2 I remember specifically which would have been 1977 or 1978) I decided I wanted to order a bunch of Marvel Fireside books.

Problem was I didn't have any money.

No problem. I just clipped a coupon from a Marvel Comic, checked off EVERY BOX on the coupon and mailed it in with one of my parent's checks.

If you can remember that far back you'll remember that checks in those days did not have their account numbers printed out on them...you had to fill them in yourself. So I proceeded to fill in some bogus account number (in Canadian funds mind you), total up the books I ordered, add the shipping charge and write in the $$ amount.

I dropped the envelope containing the bum check and the coupon in the mail and completely forgot about it as 7 year old boys are wont to do.

Well several weeks go by and we are coming back from a vacation and I am none the wiser when my parents realize that there is a large, heavy box in the front porch.

We're all wondering what is inside. I'm as clueless as greggy in a Marvel long box.

doh!

We pull the box inside and I remember vividly opening the box and to my amazement being confronted with multiple copies of every Fireside book imaginable. Hard covers, soft covers...The Mighty Marvel Cookbook, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Bring On The Bad Guys....you name it...almost everything in duplicate...I even had the Calender from what I believe was 1978!

Can you imagine what went through my mind as I poured over cover after glossy cover of each of these books? I barely slept that night!

:cloud9:

What was even funnier was that the publisher had written me a check back because I had overpaid.

:roflmao:

So at the age of 7 I spent (from what I remember) about $400, paid for it with a bum check, got a refund and then proceeded to take the books to school for show and tell and give many of the away.

:screwy:

I still have the refund check as a reality check to remind me that I was not dreaming.

lol

I'll post it up here some day.

How's that for a cool story?

what did you tell your folks? They must have wondered how you got all those books!

what did you tell your folks? They must have wondered how you got all those books!

I honestly don't remember how it played out. I'll have to ask my mom and see if she remembers.

lol

My folks were old fashioned European. My dad likely either didn't want to raise any eye brows so decided to lay low or just didn't know how to deal with it (He's never mail ordered a thing in his life) so just dismissed it.

Maybe I played dumb and made like I didn't have a clue.

:whistle:

R.