• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC good at spotting counterfeit TMNT 1 AND CEREBUS 1?

11 posts in this topic

I am quite sure that CGC can verify an authentic copy of those books with absolute certainty. If they couldn't then the resulting fallout and negative publicity would be disastrous for the company.

It really shouldn't be difficult, as CGC surely knows the specific identifiers to look for as well as anyone. As I understand it, with the books in hand it is actually fairly easy to tell a fake from an authentic copy if you know what to look for.

I am quite sure that CGC can verify an authentic copy of those books with absolute certainty. If they couldn't then the resulting fallout and negative publicity would be disastrous for the company.

It really shouldn't be difficult, as CGC surely knows the specific identifiers to look for as well as anyone. As I understand it, with the books in hand it is actually fairly easy to tell a fake from an authentic copy if you know what to look for.

What he said. If CGC isn't, who is? (shrug)

Just curious as I heard counterfeit TMNT 1 and Cerebus 1 are harder to spot then restoration. any thoughts on this? Those are two books on my list, I wouldn`t want to buy a counterfeit by mistake.

I wouldn't worry, they (and I) have been dealing with those books for a long time. (thumbs u

If you have experience with these, it's not hard to tell at all. Takes...literally...about 5 seconds to tell the difference if you know what to look for. If you don't know, try and find one of each and put them side by side. The differences are quite obvious.

Just curious as I heard counterfeit TMNT 1 and Cerebus 1 are harder to spot then restoration. any thoughts on this? Those are two books on my list, I wouldn`t want to buy a counterfeit by mistake.

I wouldn't worry, they (and I) have been dealing with those books for a long time. (thumbs u

Hiya, Steve:

Good to know, but here's what I don't get...the above have known counterfeits and CGC is able to identify and slab them as such.

But last I checked, CGC was uable (or unwilling?) to verify and slab Eerie #1 (Warren). Howcome?

Every time I read about the Eerie, it was because it's 100% black and white and probably too tough to tell a real from a fake.

Hiya, Steve:

Good to know, but here's what I don't get...the above have known counterfeits and CGC is able to identify and slab them as such.

But last I checked, CGC was uable (or unwilling?) to verify and slab Eerie #1 (Warren). Howcome?

Eerie #1 could be faked due to the type of paper used to produce the book.