• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very nice AF15 for sale on ebay...

71 posts in this topic

the book and the seller are legit... i would take him up on his offer to use a dealer as an "escrow" type service and you won't get hurt

Before the sale or after?

I'd like confirmation from SF from Metropolis that he HAS the book....

exactly.... make arrangements with the seller to send the book to Metro...once metro confirms the book, you send payment to seller... I would think that would work

Rick,

Is this a board member?

D

don't think so... a friend of mine knows the seller and the book and he gave me the thumbs up to bid, so I did (didn't hit reserve)... but, like anything else out there in internet land, do your own research, contact the seller, and don't rely on anything I say as "fact", as I wouldn't want to be the reason anyone got taken if my friend is wrong...

that said, it is a pretty book

Rick, what do you THINK the reserve is?

My wife would shoot me in the face if I bought this book...we are saving for a house. Soooo...it'd be this book, and still in our apartment...or a new house...lmao.

arse11.jpg

the book and the seller are legit... i would take him up on his offer to use a dealer as an "escrow" type service and you won't get hurt

exactly.... make arrangements with the seller to send the book to Metro...once metro confirms the book, you send payment to seller... I would think that would work

Rick,

Is this a board member?

D

don't think so... a friend of mine knows the seller and the book and he gave me the thumbs up to bid, so I did (didn't hit reserve)... but, like anything else out there in internet land, do your own research, contact the seller, and don't rely on anything I say as "fact", as I wouldn't want to be the reason anyone got taken if my friend is wrong...

that said, it is a pretty book

Rick, what do you THINK the reserve is?

my guess is $35K, but the seller has not responded to my inquiry yet...

That sure is a nice copy. I have a general rule about not buying from sellers that don't know they should capitalize the I in I or sellers that don't know that after a period it is standard to insert a space or two before the next sentence. Darn though, that is a pretty book.

Anyone check the notes? Must have some foxing on the back ocver or stains as on the surface it does look fantastic.

Is that a tear on the upper left-ish side back cover? Above the O in BOYS or is it my monitor?

This guy must be legit. With 5 negs and 3 neutrals in 47 tries, he couldn't be dumb enough to list that book and expect to be taken seriously, unless he was for real.

It's one of those "It looks so bad it has to be good" deals. My only concern would be that the rug looks kinda familiar. hm ...or is that a sofa?

If he is okay with agents, why wouldn't he just send the book to a big name dealer to sell in an auction of for him? I bet it would get better results especially with the bad feedback. Also, why would you give 10% upfront if you are picking it up in person? Doesn't make sense.

Here, JerseyComicBoy, I asked Bosco how he added speech balloons, and made the picture a more accurate predictor of your future:

arse3.jpg

Back on topic, I agree with the above posters who ask why he doesn't just ship it off to CLink or some other AH. He may be as legit as the day is long, but that feedback is going to scare anyone who doesn't know him personally.

Here, JerseyComicBoy, I asked Bosco how he added speech balloons, and made the picture a more accurate predictor of your future:

arse3.jpg

Back on topic, I agree with the above posters who ask why he doesn't just ship it off to CLink or some other AH. He may be as legit as the day is long, but that feedback is going to scare anyone who doesn't know him personally.

As mentioned earlier, use an agent.

If won, don't pay until the book is SAFE in Metropolis's (or another reputable agent) hands!

Remit the payment to the agent (and kindly pay the agent a fee for doing this), who has possession of the book. And have the agent ship you the book.

Simple.

To all:

I'll tell you one thing. If it is a legit book, it's one of the nicest AF15s in existence....REGARDLESS of the grade given. I've seen many many AF15s over the past 30-40 years and, asthetically speaking, that copy looks as good as any of the 8 or 9s out there. Both covers (front and back) are SHINERS ! You can take that to the bank.

I agree - it's a stunning copy.

Don't understand why you're trying to bring more attention to a book you're trying to win in a public auction though. lol Seems counterproductive.

Anyway, good luck. It's a superb copy regardless of what it graded, and 7.0 isn't exactly a book I'd kick out of bed for eating crackers.

To all:

I'll tell you one thing. If it is a legit book, it's one of the nicest AF15s in existence....REGARDLESS of the grade given. I've seen many many AF15s over the past 30-40 years and, asthetically speaking, that copy looks as good as any of the 8 or 9s out there. Both covers (front and back) are SHINERS ! You can take that to the bank.

I agree - it's a stunning copy.

Don't understand why you're trying to bring more attention to a book you're trying to win in a public auction though. lol Seems counterproductive.

Anyway, good luck. It's a superb copy regardless of what it graded, and 7.0 isn't exactly a book I'd kick out of bed for eating crackers.

That book will have plenty of attention with or without you or me.

I'm still not sold on the seller....unresponsive to emails, etc. I'd be checking emails on the half hour if I were the seller and posting the chats in the auction to develop a comfort level with the "legit" buyers.

I did contact CGC on this book being auctioned on ebay. Serial number 0951992001. The grader notes are as follows:

1) 10 inch vertical crease front cover (very light does not break color but can be seen...does not indent the pages...could be a very light sub crease.

2) 2 inch crease lower right corner and does not break color

(That's one foot of light creases on the front cover...)

3) Some printer ink smudging back cover. Many have this.

3) Some spine wear and corner wear.

4 OW/W pages.

5) 1 grader gave it a 6.5 and 2 graders gave it a 7.0.

I knew some of ya'll were bidding so bid accordingly. I've changed my mind based on the notes. Gorgeous book all and all !