• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just bought slabs at 80% off GPA

60 posts in this topic

Byrne or not, aren't those books really dollar-bin fodder? I think you got a good deal on them, but honestly, I wouldn't pay more than $20 each for them in 9.8. I think the problem lies with the seller (or submitter more properly) who paid 20x the real value of the books to get them encased in plastic.

Yep.

Those books are supply and demand. And the demand is low.

If you won a book that people are actually looking for, I would be surprised.

But realistically, these arent in demand books.

Not to bash your purchase. But these arent exactly books alot of people are searching out.

Yes, these books definitely suck. :blahblah:

I urge everyone not to bid on any bronze age books featuring Batman :whistle:

I will gladly buy Batman and more importantly Detectives. And do so quite often, but this is neither. It is a mini-series that maybe other people are not looking for.

Dont be a dikk to me because I am not falling off my chair because you scored books that arent heavily sought out at a discounted price.

Byrne or not, aren't those books really dollar-bin fodder? I think you got a good deal on them, but honestly, I wouldn't pay more than $20 each for them in 9.8. I think the problem lies with the seller (or submitter more properly) who paid 20x the real value of the books to get them encased in plastic.

Yep.

Those books are supply and demand. And the demand is low.

If you won a book that people are actually looking for, I would be surprised.

But realistically, these arent in demand books.

Not to bash your purchase. But these arent exactly books alot of people are searching out.

Yes, these books definitely suck. :blahblah:

I urge everyone not to bid on any bronze age books featuring Batman :whistle:

I will gladly buy Batman and more importantly Detectives. And do so quite often, but this is neither. It is a mini-series that maybe other people are not looking for.

Dont be a dikk to me because I am not falling off my chair because you scored books that arent heavily sought out at a discounted price.

yup!

I also managed to get lucky on a similar 1980s book last week - Web of Spider-man #18, CGC 9.8 / white pages. Between it's "manufactured" key status (uncredited 1st Venom in shadows) and the mostly black cover, it's the most expensive book in the title and was trading hands for over $500 at one point. I snagged a copy for $60, which is less than half the previous GPA low, and well under the then 12-month average of $277.

How would you like to be the guy who paid $500 lol

I also managed to get lucky on a similar 1980s book last week - Web of Spider-man #18, CGC 9.8 / white pages. Between it's "manufactured" key status (uncredited 1st Venom in shadows) and the mostly black cover, it's the most expensive book in the title and was trading hands for over $500 at one point. I snagged a copy for $60, which is less than half the previous GPA low, and well under the then 12-month average of $277.

How would you like to be the guy who paid $500 lol

I definitely feel sorry for whoever paid that much. :sorry:

I'm very curious to see what sort of an effect my purchase has on the overall trend. There's been 6 copies of Web #18 sold so far in 2009, each for less than the previous. Given that there's only 11 copies graded 9.8 (12 if you include the one SS), that's an awful lot of turnover. It leads me to think there's been massive speculation on the book and that's it's being dumped. I suspect it may drop down to prices near what most other 9.8 Webs trade at ($30 - $50 range).

There's one copy at auction right now on eBay. It might be a good indicator of whether there's been a collapse in prices or whether I just made up for all the times I've paid GPA highs. :)

I'm very curious to see what sort of an effect my purchase has on the overall trend. There's been 6 copies of Web #18 sold so far in 2009, each for less than the previous. Given that there's only 11 copies graded 9.8 (12 if you include the one SS), that's an awful lot of turnover. It leads me to think there's been massive speculation on the book and that's it's being dumped. I suspect it may drop down to prices near what most other 9.8 Webs trade at ($30 - $50 range).

There's one copy at auction right now on eBay. It might be a good indicator of whether there's been a collapse in prices or whether I just made up for all the times I've paid GPA highs. :)

Of those 11 copies graded 9.8, 4 were graded between mid-March and mid-April.

My guess is that the submitter is dumping them for whatever they can get...

because they probably have nothing tied up (besides grading fees) and it's still

a profit whether it's $60 or $500.

It is also possible that more 9.8s were graded between mid-April and now,

and the seller is actually dumping those, too.

IIRC, there were only 3 copies on the census this time last year. Looks like 11 copies makes for a case of over-supply. :lol:

Actually, I've noticed a fair number of 1980s issues in various titles being flooded with 9.8s in the past year. Very few of my "1 of 2" or "1 of 3" books still fall in the scarce category. The census counts for a lot of them have doubled or tripled in just 12 months.

I would be impressed if they were actually good books that would normally be in demand.

Sorry.

You come off as such a smug when you post like this. I was outbid on a 9.8 copy of this book in the last C-Link auction. I think I had a $60 or $65 max bid.

If only there were enough X_men and Spider-Man comics to go around for all of us dumbasses.

I would be impressed if they were actually good books that would normally be in demand.

Sorry.

You come off as such a smug when you post like this. I was outbid on a 9.8 copy of this book in the last C-Link auction. I think I had a $60 or $65 max bid.

If only there were enough X_men and Spider-Man comics to go around for all of us dumbasses.

Pm sent, as I will explain. :devil:

Very nice. Isn't this the 2nd limited series ever produced also?

It's an early one. What was the first?

I believe it was DC's "World of Krypton" in 1979.

hm

I just did some quick research and there might be some room for debate on this... Apparently "World of Krypton" was originally slated to be published in "Showcase" before DC decided to spin it as a Limited Series. "Untold Legends of Batman" was the first planned LS.

hm

I just did some quick research and there might be some room for debate on this... Apparently "World of Krypton" was originally slated to be published in "Showcase" before DC decided to spin it as a Limited Series. "Untold Legends of Batman" was the first planned LS.

OK, but World of Krypton did come out first and was a limited series...

I believe Marvel's Contest of Champions was their first, but it wasn't until not long after with Secret Wars that limited series made a huge impact. Speaking of Secret Wars, I just saw a compiled Hard Cover for Secret Wars II at the LCS for $100. Who's going to buy that? Isn't it considered one of the worst limited series ever?

I'm starting to feel sorry for the sellers when I buy their books for pennies on the dollar.

I bought 2 slabs for 75% to 80% off GPA tonight:

Slab #1

ave GPA $89, last sale $99 (last month), my winning bid $23

Slab #2

ave GPA $57 (one sale), my winning bid $11

Are you kidding me ???????????????????

$11 ??????????????????

The seller is paying CGC $20 just to slab and ship the book.

Only to sell it to me at a $9 loss plus loss of his perfect white page copy.

I love a bargain, but if this keeps happening, there will be no slab seller left on ebay.

ps - sorry if you were the seller of this book :(

I'm starting to feel sorry for the sellers when I buy their books for pennies on the dollar.

I bought 2 slabs for 75% to 80% off GPA tonight:

Slab #1

ave GPA $89, last sale $99 (last month), my winning bid $23

Slab #2

ave GPA $57 (one sale), my winning bid $11

Are you kidding me ???????????????????

$11 ??????????????????

The seller is paying CGC $20 just to slab and ship the book.

Only to sell it to me at a $9 loss plus loss of his perfect white page copy.

I love a bargain, but if this keeps happening, there will be no slab seller left on ebay.

ps - sorry if you were the seller of this book :(

Nice pickups, you bear me out of Slab 1.

Anthony