• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Direct Editions vs. Newsstand Editions

22 posts in this topic

The very first Direct Market books that the community knows of are Marvels dated February, 1977, as noted by BIP.

Here's a pic:

48dc_1_b.JPG

For years and years and years, Overstreet claimed these were reprints, or Whitman versions, but we now know these were just early versions of DM copies. It is true that Whitman (Western) was the largest distributor of these books, sold in their 3-packs, but they were not the only ones. They were printed at the same time as the "originals" (making them, of course, originals too.) Though documentation of the period is often sketchy, simple logic will deduce that these are not reprints, for, while Star Wars was a phenomenon that was reprinted several times, Spectacular Spiderman (and dozens of other titles) were not.

They are correctly called Direct Market versions.

Large diamonds were used, for the most part, until early 1979, while the small diamond of mid 1979 and later was tested on books like Tarzan #2.

Oddly enough, DC did not begin distinguishing their comics any differently until 1979.

Thank you! I've had a friend that has argued with me for years that "Diamonds" are reprints, but I knew that I had read that this had been debunked. I'll have to point him to this thread!

The very first Direct Market books that the community knows of are Marvels dated February, 1977, as noted by BIP.

Here's a pic:

48dc_1_b.JPG

For years and years and years, Overstreet claimed these were reprints, or Whitman versions, but we now know these were just early versions of DM copies. It is true that Whitman (Western) was the largest distributor of these books, sold in their 3-packs, but they were not the only ones. They were printed at the same time as the "originals" (making them, of course, originals too.) Though documentation of the period is often sketchy, simple logic will deduce that these are not reprints, for, while Star Wars was a phenomenon that was reprinted several times, Spectacular Spiderman (and dozens of other titles) were not.

They are correctly called Direct Market versions.

Large diamonds were used, for the most part, until early 1979, while the small diamond of mid 1979 and later was tested on books like Tarzan #2.

Oddly enough, DC did not begin distinguishing their comics any differently until 1979.

Excellent information. "They were printed at the same time as the 'originals' (making them of course, originals too.)"

Why then, are SA Marvel pence copies looked down upon? they too were printed at the same time of the originals but are looked down upon and valued less? (shrug)

Why then, are SA Marvel pence copies looked down upon? they too were printed at the same time of the originals but are looked down upon and valued less? (shrug)

Unfortunately, that's just the way they are perceived in the market. They aren't "American" comics, they're "foreign editions"...I don't think that's ever going to change, sadly.

Happily, both Marvel & DC began printing DM copies in 1980 with UK pricing, so it ceased to be an issue at that point.

Excellent information. "They were printed at the same time as the 'originals' (making them of course, originals too.)"

I think nostalgia is the biggest factor. Most collectors are from North America and want copies with the pricing they paid as kids.

There's very little doubt that the pence and US price versions are from the same printing. I've actually seen some (unsupported) claims that the pence editions, being a smaller print run, were actually the first issues printed.

It took me a few minutes to find the link, but here's a good article on pence copies...

STL Article on Pence Copies

Personally, I'm a huge fan of SA pence books. I don't have many, but I generally try to buy up the ones I do stumble across. Usually at a good discount to the US version. ;)

77256.jpg

So whats the difference between these two since that one link doesnt show this style?

top copy is direct market, bottom copy is newsstand

That's the question I thought I was answering. Marvel also had a stylized "M" on the Direct books that the newsstand ones didn't? Sorry, the OP was a bit vague.

Gifflefunk does rule with his research, though!

77256.jpg

So whats the difference between these two since that one link doesnt show this style?

top copy is direct market, bottom copy is newsstand

That's the question I thought I was answering. Marvel also had a stylized "M" on the Direct books that the newsstand ones didn't? Sorry, the OP was a bit vague.

Gifflefunk does rule with his research, though!

The "diamond" price boxes came first, then the stylized "M"

Ok, this might help.

Direct Market price box designs:

Feb 1977-about Mar 1979 = Large diamonds, occasional small diamond

May 1979 (some)-Sep 1982 = small diamonds

Oct 1982 - Mar 1987 = stylized "M"

Apr 1987 - 1993 square box with UK price for Direct and Curtis Circulation code for newsstand (with some exceptions, ie PWJ #6.)

1993 - UPC codes become standard on all comics distributed both ways, with the words "Direct Edition" in the code box to designate DM copies.