• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you all stop with the fecking eBay whining?

247 posts in this topic

Not a day goes by without some eBay sob story...

'He packs like a ''

'He complained about my shipping charges'

'He said it was a VF/NM and it was a VF+'

'He left me negative feedback without contacting my wife first'

Chistonabike, what do you all expect?

You are all dealing with possibly the most immoral company on the planet, but you are all expecting to either make a great deal on a sale, or get a catch on a purchase.

Either way, you're all expecting to make some money 'under the radar' in an absolute -shoot and want to cry because you didn't get what you thought you were 'entitled' to?

Here's a reality check for you....eBay died about 3 years ago and anybody who is still dealing through their -arsed, money-grubbing, illegitimate, -sucking system deserves all that they get.

Have a great weekend! (thumbs u

Nick, a few Q's for you:

1) did you c lose your eBay account?

Didn't close the account, but have had perhaps three transactions in three years? I saw where it was heading and bailed before it got there.

2) do you really dislike the Threads warning others about bad Buyers, etc? Do they not have a purpose here accoring to you?

I think they might have a purpose in naming and shaming the occasional individual, but what I don't get is the repetative shock and surprise at (a) how much fraud there is on the site, (b) how members are, © how eBay are and (d) how Paypal are. As far as I can see, all of that is a 100% given, so if you're going to play with fire?

3) Do you know anywhere else people can buy/sell online that has the features eBay does? if so can you be generous enough to share that with this audience your Thread has???

There is no other venue that has the features, or the audience. No other venue has the levels of criminality and sheer screwed up tiness either, and unless folk are prepared to walk away, there will never be an alternative.

Any info would be most greatly appreciated.

Oh, you have a great weekend too.

CAL across the pond :grin:

And can I just point out that this thread was the product of a decent level of alcohol consumption. :whistle:

And can I just point out that this thread was the product of a decent level of alcohol consumption. :whistle:

Like all the other threads you've ever started here. :baiting:

He knows you well lol

He knows you well lol

To be fair, all the other threads he started were the product of an indecent level of alcohol consumption. :whistle:

He knows you well lol

To be fair, all the other threads he started were the product of an indecent level of alcohol consumption. :whistle:

Indecent he is then (thumbs u

He knows you well lol

I dont buy it :sumo:

He knows you well lol

I dont buy it :sumo:

He won't sell it to you!

Not a day goes by without some eBay sob story...

'He packs like a ''

'He complained about my shipping charges'

'He said it was a VF/NM and it was a VF+'

'He left me negative feedback without contacting my wife first'

Chistonabike, what do you all expect?

You are all dealing with possibly the most immoral company on the planet, but you are all expecting to either make a great deal on a sale, or get a catch on a purchase.

Either way, you're all expecting to make some money 'under the radar' in an absolute -shoot and want to cry because you didn't get what you thought you were 'entitled' to?

Here's a reality check for you....eBay died about 3 years ago and anybody who is still dealing through their -arsed, money-grubbing, illegitimate, -sucking system deserves all that they get.

Have a great weekend! (thumbs u

My hero! :cloud9:

Are you a graduate of the Paratrooper School of Drunken Posting?

Drunken posting :cloud9:

Is there another form you partake in?

We could always go back to the pre-ebay internet model for selling comic books,

example is I walk into LCS with $100 dollars worth of comics and LCS offers me $10 dollars. Yes Ebay isn`t perfect but it`s a heck of lot better then the mess that went on before selling comics.

What do you expect your LCS to do? They have rent to pay, they have to make money on what they buy.

I got an email from someone the other day offering a collection to me (2000 to 2500 comics), here it is:

Major runs hellblazer 1- 220(ish)

Preacher + specials

Invisibles

Doom patrol 1- 88(I think)(basically the Grant Morrison version) plus the more modern versions

Walking dead 9-30

Batman: detective 680-818

Lodk 60-208(the last one I think)

Batman the same era

Various one shots, specials short runs etc

x-force 116-129

x-statix 1-20

loveless 1-11

silent hill,

30 days of night

Various zombie and horror titles

Simpsons 1- 100 + specials and other Simpson titles

Sandman mystery theater

A long box of assorted x titles from the mid 90's

Short series such as; outlaw nation,

And various single issues

A box of assorted UK editions of 2000AD and Judge Dredd megazines

Most comics are in good conditions with the majority in plastic bags

8 long boxes ,plus one cardboard box of UK comics

So would you pay guide for the above? The seller said I could have them for 2,500.... I don't see a comic in that lot that I could sell for $10...

That makes my point, you didn`t want to buy them, so now he can Ebay them and make more then you would have offered.

example is I walk into LCS with $100 dollars worth of comics and LCS offers me $10 dollars. Yes Ebay isn`t perfect but it`s a heck of lot better then the mess that went on before selling comics.

What do you expect your LCS to do? They have rent to pay, they have to make money on what they buy.

I got an email from someone the other day offering a collection to me (2000 to 2500 comics), here it is:

Preacher + specials

Invisibles

Doom patrol 1- 88(I think)(basically the Grant Morrison version) plus the more modern versions

Walking dead 9-30

Batman the same era

x-force 116-129

x-statix 1-20

loveless 1-11

silent hill,

30 days of night

Sandman mystery theater

So would you pay guide for the above? The seller said I could have them for 2,500.... I don't see a comic in that lot that I could sell for $10...

That makes my point, you didn`t want to buy them, so now he can Ebay them and make more then you would have offered.

In theory. Many of these books wont sell.

Drunken posting :cloud9:

Is there another form you partake in?

yes, hangover posting :(

Preacher + specials

Invisibles

Walking dead 9-30

Batman the same era

x-force 116-129

x-statix 1-20

loveless 1-11

silent hill,

30 days of night

Sandman mystery theater

That Simpson run alone will net him over a $100 dollars, pre-Ebay he gets $10 dollars for them. Ebay and CGC are two of the best things that happened to the comics industry.example I had a pile of Marvel John Carters that my lcs didn`t want or he would be kind enough to take them off my hands for a nickel a piece,I declined his offer then I sold them on Ebay for over $200 and then bought a nintendo DS Lite with the profits.

Preacher + specials

Invisibles

Walking dead 9-30

Batman the same era

x-force 116-129

x-statix 1-20

loveless 1-11

silent hill,

30 days of night

Sandman mystery theater

That Simpson run alone will net him over a $100 dollars, pre-Ebay he gets $10 dollars for them. Ebay and CGC are two of the best things that happened to the comics industry.example I had a pile of Marvel John Carters that my lcs didn`t want or he would be kind enough to take them off my hands for a nickel a piece,I declined his offer then I sold them on Ebay for over $200 and then bought a nintendo DS Lite with the profits.

And, as I stated before, that would require the seller to do a lot of work. Selling a lot like the Simpsons #1-100+ requires quite a bit of work, and that's provided the seller does a cursory glance at each book to make sure it's not shredded.

Properly listed, it could take well over 3 hours to list, picture, describe, process payment, pack properly, ship, and deal with potential issues for such a lot.

So you make $100. $15 of that is eaten up in fees. You're down to $85. Materials could cost $5 (or more.) Fine, let's take that in S&H (provided you did!) You're still at $85.

What did you pay for the lot? If you paid what the buyer wnated, you paid over $100 for the lot. You're in the hole already.

If you paid, say, my offer, you piad roughly $30-$40 for it. So, that leaves you with $45-$55 after all is said and done. If there are no problems, you're making $10-$12/hour...for one lot. My time is worth a lot more than that (at least according to my last employer.)

If there are issues....the lot gets lost/damaged...that just adds time.

Everyone's time is worth SOMETHING. Lots of people seem to forget the time spent doing the eBay process. A LOT of people find out it's no walk in the park when they try to do it themselves.

And are you going to make $1/issue on the rest of the lot?

No way.

So...when your LCS offers you 5 cents/copy, that's probably what the books are actually worth.

And that doesn't even take into account the cover price for all these books, at an average of $2.50 each....someone paid at least $1 each for those books, and probably a lot more.

If dealers would tell potential sellers the actual work it takes to sell comics, they might not be so willing to "go the eBay route." Maximize their dollars? Yeah...but at what cost in terms of time?

I'm going to hate myself in the morning, but...I agree with you. (thumbs u

The fact is that dealers simply cannot offer top dollar on anything other than high quality books that will fly out of their doors in hours.

I'm currently processing these 40,000+ books and the amount of work that goes into it is staggering. Firstly, you try getting 40,000+ books into alphabetical and then issue order. Then you've got to grade, bag and board them, enter the details into a database, scan them, price them and label them.

If you're then selling them yourself via eBay, also factor in all the time involved in listing the auctions, dealing with all the questions/approaches whilst the auctions are running, closing the auctions and requesting payment, chasing payment, mailing stuff out and then waiting for any fall-out.

That time has a value, no matter how the books are being sold.

Additionally, other things that cost if you're running a bricks-and-mortar include...

Your property rental

Your staffing costs

Your business taxes

Your utilities

Your advertising

And then you have to take the following into consideration...

How much shelf-space will the books take up and what could you be displaying in their stead?

How many of these books will sell through quickly and how many will sit and gather dust, thus tieing up working capital?

How much capital is the deal going to cost and where else could that money be spent, on goods that might turn quicker?

How much of the collection do you already have?

Neither the LCS, or the eBay seller, will be able to shift this sort of stuff without a lot of time, a lot of pain, and a decent amount of 'hidden' cost.

Sure, there are some dealers who are arseholes, and will be arseholes no matter what you're selling to them.

However, if a dealer doesn't immediately offer you 50% of Guide on your treasures, this alone doesn't qualify him as one.

Try shifting a load of bulk junk like this anywhere and then tell me it's easy. (thumbs u