• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real stuff found in father’s attic

31 posts in this topic

I know we are all skeptics when it comes to these stories, but I got to experience it for myself today.

I did not know my father very well because he basically found a new family when I was young. He died early this year and the new family took all the insurance money and relocated. I got a call last week from an attorney that his house was for sale and because his wife’s name was not on the title that my brother and I would share the profits for the sale. They also said that we may want to check out the house for anything that may have been left in it.

It was basically empty, but there were many boxes left in the attic. One of these boxes contained few comics. I wonder if they were my fathers because most were from the 70s-80s and I don’t think my father was the type to read comics in his 30s-40s. Anyway…this is what was found. Most range around in good quality or better which is a surprise considering the conditions they were kept in.

Richie Rich Jackpots #3,4,5

Journey Into Mystery #17, 28, 29, 31 1st Series

Supernatural Thrillers #1

Tales from the Crypt #34, 35

Dazzler #2

Marvel Team-Up # 68

2001 a Space Odyssey #1

Conan the Barbarian #22-30

Flash #268, 270

Marvel Tales #70

ASM #221, 243, 262, 264, 267, 282, 292

Other stuff

200 or so copies of the 1977 Memphis newspapers on day of the death of Elvis

German WWII Medals (I think)

Old train set

Playboy and Mad magazines from 60s and 70s

2 dead squirrels

Sooo…

There is stuff that can be found. I searched hard for an Action Comics #1, but I guess the rodents ate the good stuff. The Journeys and Tales from the Crypt will be fun additions to my own collection.

I find stuff all the time; it's my 'thing'. Last month, I got about 300 books mostly from the seventies for $100, mid-grade stuff (sold an Iron Fist #14 that was in there for $41.00 on ebay last week).

The only reason I got the books at all was that the guy who was looking at the comics before me was one creepy mutha who freaked out the guy selling the books so much that he said to me, please just make me an offer so I don't have to call that first guy back. I saw the guy and his buddy come out of the house as I pulled up and they were both foul looking. When I went inside, the guy tells me that his wife asked the creepy guy if he collected anything else and the guy said yeah, nazi memorabilia! 893whatthe.gif That's when the seller went and stood in his hall next to where he kept his gun while the guy finished looking at the books. When I named my price, he didn't even hesitate for a second: DONE! Too funny!

Yeah, they are the first series as are the Tales from the Crypt.

It is very confusing because I am almost sure at least those comics were my fathers. I remember looking at old Tales from the Crypt and JIMs when I was a kid, but do not remember where they came from (or where they went).

My best guess is that the newer comics might have belonged to a stepbrother and my father gave him the older ones. I just wish they knew about boards and sleeves.

How much for the 2 dead squirrels? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was briefly famous online for actually selling a dead mouse that my dad found in our stove. It had chewed through wires, rendering one stove eye useless. Dad opened it up to fix it years later, and found the poor guy, completely mummified and with a wire-shaped groove burned into the entire length of its body.

The item attracted thousands of views, and sold for $5 to a goth girl in Memphis who planned to pin it to her jacket.

Picture attached.

350099-mouse.jpg.b4d61bcb76596f6a66a095d8febbe07b.jpg

Dad opened it up to fix it years later, and found the poor guy, completely mummified and with a wire-shaped groove burned into the entire length of its body.

"Hey Dad, why does all our food taste like charred mouse?"

"Shaddup and eat yer apple pie Junior!"

How much for the 2 dead squirrels? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was briefly famous online for actually selling a dead mouse that my dad found in our stove. It had chewed through wires, rendering one stove eye useless. Dad opened it up to fix it years later, and found the poor guy, completely mummified and with a wire-shaped groove burned into the entire length of its body.

The item attracted thousands of views, and sold for $5 to a goth girl in Memphis who planned to pin it to her jacket.

Picture attached.

gossip.gif That's a RAT!

sign-offtopic.gif What did you find behind the fridge? 893whatthe.gif

this has officially turned into the weirdest thread I've ever seen on the boards.

can't imagine what next year will bring... tongue.gif

Comic-Keys will start selling CGC graded books.

But only after trimming the plastic along the side of the slab. foreheadslap.gif

this has officially turned into the weirdest thread I've ever seen on the boards.

But only after trimming the plastic along the side of the slab. foreheadslap.gif

sleeping.gifsumo.gifsleeping.gif

sleeping.gifsumo.gifsleeping.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

Now you know that was clever... smirk.gif