• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does posting Registry sets end up costing you money for tough titles?

38 posts in this topic

I've had my Spidey collection posted in the CGC Registry for several years. I've avoided posting my Fantastic Four collection because the 1 to 100 issues can be quite difficult to find, and if you post what you have into the Registry, other collectors competing for those same issues in those same grades have a roadmap as to what you're likely to bid on, and they therefore have a leg up on going hard for issues they think you may bid on. Similary, I've had a web site since around 2001 that lists all of my higher-value comics, but I've probably only let about 2-3 people see it.

Am I shortsighted in this view? I know I'm not alone and that at least a few of the best collections in existence specifically haven't been listed in the Registry for fear that it will end up costing them money. Specific scenarios as to how listing rare sets in the Registry would cost you money include:

• You and several other collectors need the same issue. The other collectors don't have their books listed, but you do. If they really want a book, and they see you also need that same book, it can easily increase the price they're willing to pay if they think they'll have to fight you for it. You're sort of getting screwed for sharing, while they're risking nothing since you can't see what they have.
  • You buy comics of specific titles all the time, even if they're not upgrades, specifically to build an inventory of trade material to get the stuff you DO want. If you do this, as far as anyone knows, you just buy everything and they have no reason to gouge you for specific issues...but if you put your best stuff in the Registry...a specific seller could know EXACTLY how good a chance they have at gouging you when buying directly.

There are probably other examples I could come up with. However, there are probably also opportunities I'm missing by making your collection public that I'm not considering which yield benefits that are greater than any competitive costs you incur. Certainly, it's a lot more fun to open up your collection and share it with other people, and it can create a list that helpful fellow collectors can use to help you find what you need.

What do you think is better for tough titles--keep it private, or make it public? (shrug)

is there a function of the registry so that you can make your collection private?

I seem to recall that there is, but I could be wrong as I haven't used it in a few years. But either way--why put it in there if you're gonna keep it private? (shrug)

What do you think is better for tough titles--keep it private, or make it public? (shrug)

I would think as a reseller you would not want the amount of books available known so you can get more money but as buyer you would want all the books to be known to get the book cheaper.

wow you must have some collection! I know I'd really like to see it as an FF fan!! My wallet only allows me to collect in the 8.0 to 9.4 range so maybe I don't understand how feverish the high high grade market can get, but I can't see someone changing the amount they'd be willing to pay just because you personally don't own the book. I'd be more worried about someone knowing your address and trying to steal the collection. If anything, I would definitely register the books you want to trade. People will often times look up books and make offers to the seller.

I have this same question in the comics registry section. If you wish to keep the masses from knowing what you need do this.

click (edit) on the set you wish to hide. Then click the box that says obscure set. and submit .

Your set has to have a name, and maybe description. But after this the points will show, but books listed will be private.

keep it private. no question. Unless you're chasing stuff that's readily available. No harm then. But if going for top grade or just plain scarce books you'd be nuts to make it public, IMO

keep it private. no question. Unless you're chasing stuff that's readily available. No harm then. But if going for top grade or just plain scarce books you'd be nuts to make it public, IMO

(thumbs u

I buy and sell a lot. A LOT.

I never thought that I was getting "gouged" as the auction formats I tend to bid on cannot foreshadow who or at what price the final hammer price/winner will be.

No one knows which issues you are really going to target anyway. If they want to sell then the old "price to be agreed to : buyer/seller" will play itself out.

Hope this helps.

CAL :hi:

Sounds like paranoia to me.

It does seem like a touch of paranoia - and this is coming from someone who is regularly accused of being paranoid along with other traits right here on this Board.

Keeping your sets obscured, which some actually do, seems to be defeating the purpose of having the books in the Registry sets to begin with.

Just my 2c

CAL who has more to add to registry if he ever gets the time...

Sounds like paranoia to me.

All depends.

If it is common knowledge that you are chasing a particular book (whether it be a specific issue in a specific grade or a particular Pedigree) it has happened that sellers have made buyers pay through the nose.

The bigger the book the more incentive there is for gouging.

I definitely not only have seen it happen (cgcworld with his White Mountain run, Brad Hamaan with his Green River run, Ian Levine with his Adventure #26 or whatever it was) but have been on the tail end of it myself on a few books that KNOWN bidders were going after.

I personally believe in not showing anyone your cards until it is absolutely necessary to when it comes to high stakes.

For common books (or more common books) it probably does not matter.

Keeping your sets obscured, which some actually do, seems to be defeating the purpose of having the books in the Registry sets to begin with.

I could see using the "obscure set" option if you want your set (and needs list) available online while you're travelling,

but you don't want to remember to take a printed copy (or your laptop) with you.

I could see using the "obscure set" option if you want your set (and needs list) available online while you're travelling,

but you don't want to remember to take a printed copy (or your laptop) with you.

The Registry is great for having an online copy of your want list for that specific set. If you obscure your sets, it is still great for that purpose.

I've had my Spidey collection posted in the CGC Registry for several years. I've avoided posting my Fantastic Four collection because the 1 to 100 issues can be quite difficult to find, and if you post what you have into the Registry, other collectors competing for those same issues in those same grades have a roadmap as to what you're likely to bid on, and they therefore have a leg up on going hard for issues they think you may bid on.

I'm not saying this scenario couldn't happen, but seriously, how many people have that much free time to go through other peoples registry sets, make note of books, and then use that info to go after the same books you are looking for?

Again, I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it seems quite unlikely to me.

And yes, a bit of paranoia thrown in as well. :thumbsup:

I personally go for books I want. I don't give a about anyone elses reg sets.

Make it public.

I've been offered a lot of books over the years because people can see what issues I have and what I'm missing. It's kind of like having a public want list. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to sell direct without paying a 10% commission. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to make trades.

If a tough to find Silver Age Marvel comes up for sale, there's going to be plenty of competition for it no matter what.

There might be times that it may have cost me a bit, but it's hard to know for sure. But I definitely know that I've gotten books at decent prices because of the exposure.

No one knows which issues you are really going to target anyway. If they want to sell then the old "price to be agreed to : buyer/seller" will play itself out.

What tough titles do you collect?